Upgrade to phpBB2.0.23

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Athlon101

Upgrade to phpBB2.0.23

Post by Athlon101 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 am

Hi Guys

I am about to upgrade from version 2.0.22 to 2.0.23 and just wanted confirmation that I am about to do it right.

I intend to do as follows:

1 download the changed files and extract the archive for upgrade 2.0.22 to 2.0.23
2 download current config.php file from my server and save it on my desk top
3 upload the changed files to admin/mods
4 run Easy Mod to change the relavent files
5 run install/update in browser
6 delete install/update file from server
7 upload original config.php from desk top and overwrite new config.php generated by the upgrade

Does this look right.

Athlon101
Last edited by ric323 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Upgrade to phpBB2.0.23

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:16 am

nope, you are confusing two different methods of updating.

the changed files only method does not use easymod at all.

you simply upload all the files and folders that come in the download to your server. they will overwrite the ones you have there.

this method is not for you if you have MODs installed because it will overwrite your modded files with new, unmodded files.

If you have MODs installed, then you need the "code changes" method of updating.

with that, you down load each set of files from the version you have to the current version.

Each one will include a .txt MOD style file with all the code edits.

You can either do them one at a time manually just like installing a MOD, or you can run them with easymod one at a time like MODs.

once you are finished with whatever method you use to update, you have to upload the install folder that comes with all update zips

then, in your browser, you go to;
yoiurdomain.com/yourphpbb/install/update_to_latest.php

then you delete the install folder.

that is it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

circleofatlantis

Post by circleofatlantis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:47 am

I was about to ask a similar question.

And I'm afraid you have just confused me.

I had downloaded the patch version thinking that was what I needed.

I run about 6 mods, and dont want to clobber them in any way.

I gather I should be downloading the code changes version instead ? I just looked at it and it appears to be a text file of manual code changes that I have to text edit myself. Nononono, not touching that.

The last upgrade I did mucked up several mods using the changed files download. For the rest of my forums I used the fantastico version from my host and it clobbered everything but left the version numbers of the mods still active. So I had to change the version numbers of easymod and all the mods to get them reinstalled. Not to mention also losing and having to put back my logos.

Why cant they release an easymod version of the patch, so you just load it into easymod and run it from there ? Then run the update php. Would make life so much easier for people who have mods, but are not mod programmers.

There is no way in the world that I will attempt to manually change files, and besides, I dont think I have anything that allows the editing of a php file.

On the other hand, my host will demand the forums be upgraded once they have the upgrades on fantastico, so I appear to be damned to losing all the mods and logos again and having to reinstall all of them again manually with new version changes. *sigh*

Why is this so hard ?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:10 am

the patch method is only for command line access to the unix /linux server.

as you said, you need the code changes method.

that method works just find in easymod.

you create a folder just like any other MOD, you upload the .txt file that comes with the update code changes files .

You have to do this for each version you are updating from, one version at a time.

this is not hard to do at all.

even doing it manually is not hard to do.

the key is to always work from copies and you are never more than a couple of clicks away from complete recovery.

robert

circleofatlantis

Post by circleofatlantis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 am

Ok. :)

I ahve to say I understood very little of what you said.

But I created a mod folder, put the txt file in it, uploaded it and the setup folder, installed the mod, ran the update, and its done ! :)

Got a lot of error messages off alternative language files, but since english wasnt listed, I ignored them.

Thanks for your help.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:04 am

good work. see? nothing to it.

robert

circleofatlantis

Post by circleofatlantis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 am

Actually, your right :)

I've done all 4 forums pretty easily, so am very relieved to ahve that done. :)

lee71

Post by lee71 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 am

didnt work for me,i got a page full of errors..

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:30 am

lee71 wrote:didnt work for me,i got a page full of errors..
Can't help if you don't let us see what the errors were.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

circleofatlantis

Post by circleofatlantis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:34 am

Ignore the errors, I got them too.

As far as I could see, all the languages except english failed. Something is obviously wrong with the update as far as other languages are concerned (maybe we dont have any other languages installed so it cant find any to update).

If you scroll down the errors, you find where to continue from, click and keep going. The rest installs correctly.

lee71

Post by lee71 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 am

i got all the errors with the language files and this also..i double checked and the styles_edit_body.tpl is installed..

FIND FAILED: In file [templates/subSilver/admin/styles_edit_body.tpl] could not find:

<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="tr_color1_name" value="{TR_COLOR1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TR_COLOR2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="tr_color2" value="{TR_COLOR2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="tr_color2_name" value="{TR_COLOR2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TR_COLOR3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="tr_color3" value="{TR_COLOR3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="tr_color3_name" value="{TR_COLOR3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TR_CLASS1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="tr_class1" value="{TR_CLASS1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="tr_class1_name" value="{TR_CLASS1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TR_CLASS2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="tr_class2" value="{TR_CLASS2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="tr_class2_name" value="{TR_CLASS2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TR_CLASS3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="tr_class3" value="{TR_CLASS3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="tr_class3_name" value="{TR_CLASS3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TH_COLOR1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="th_color1" value="{TH_COLOR1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="th_color1_name" value="{TH_COLOR1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TH_COLOR2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="th_color2" value="{TH_COLOR2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="th_color2_name" value="{TH_COLOR2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TH_COLOR3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="th_color3" value="{TH_COLOR3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="th_color3_name" value="{TH_COLOR3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TH_CLASS1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="th_class1" value="{TH_CLASS1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="th_class1_name" value="{TH_CLASS1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TH_CLASS2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="th_class2" value="{TH_CLASS2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="th_class2_name" value="{TH_CLASS2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TH_CLASS3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="th_class3" value="{TH_CLASS3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="th_class3_name" value="{TH_CLASS3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TD_COLOR1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="td_color1" value="{TD_COLOR1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="td_color1_name" value="{TD_COLOR1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TD_COLOR2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="td_color2" value="{TD_COLOR2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="td_color2_name" value="{TD_COLOR2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TD_COLOR3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="td_color3" value="{TD_COLOR3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="td_color3_name" value="{TD_COLOR3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TD_CLASS1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="td_class1" value="{TD_CLASS1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="td_class1_name" value="{TD_CLASS1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TD_CLASS2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="td_class2" value="{TD_CLASS2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="td_class2_name" value="{TD_CLASS2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TD_CLASS3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="td_class3" value="{TD_CLASS3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="td_class3_name" value="{TD_CLASS3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTFACE_1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="50" name="fontface1" value="{FONTFACE1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontface1_name" value="{FONTFACE1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTFACE_2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="50" name="fontface2" value="{FONTFACE2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontface2_name" value="{FONTFACE2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTFACE_3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="50" name="fontface3" value="{FONTFACE3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontface3_name" value="{FONTFACE3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTSIZE_1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="4" maxlength="4" name="fontsize1" value="{FONTSIZE1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontsize1_name" value="{FONTSIZE1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTSIZE_2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="4" maxlength="4" name="fontsize2" value="{FONTSIZE2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontsize2_name" value="{FONTSIZE2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTSIZE_3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="4" maxlength="4" name="fontsize3" value="{FONTSIZE3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontsize3_name" value="{FONTSIZE3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTCOLOR_1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="fontcolor1" value="{FONTCOLOR1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontcolor1_name" value="{FONTCOLOR1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTCOLOR_2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="fontcolor2" value="{FONTCOLOR2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontcolor2_name" value="{FONTCOLOR2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_FONTCOLOR_3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="6" maxlength="6" name="fontcolor3" value="{FONTCOLOR3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="fontcolor3_name" value="{FONTCOLOR3_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_SPAN_CLASS_1}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="span_class1" value="{SPAN_CLASS1}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="span_class1_name" value="{SPAN_CLASS1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_SPAN_CLASS_2}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="span_class2" value="{SPAN_CLASS2}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="span_class2_name" value="{SPAN_CLASS2_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_SPAN_CLASS_3}:</td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="25" name="span_class3" value="{SPAN_CLASS3}"></td>
<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="span_class3_name" value="{SPAN_CLASS3_NAME}">

circleofatlantis

Post by circleofatlantis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 am

I dont remember getting that one.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:56 am

lee71 wrote:i got all the errors with the language files and this also..i double checked and the styles_edit_body.tpl is installed..

FIND FAILED: In file [templates/subSilver/admin/styles_edit_body.tpl] could not find:

<td class="row2"><input class="post" type="text" size="25" maxlength="100" name="tr_color1_name" value="{TR_COLOR1_NAME}">
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="row1">{L_TR_COLOR2}:</td>

--[snip]---
Compare your copy of styles_edit_body.tpl with a standard one. You must have some MOD in there which has made a change in the block of code it is trying to find.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

lee71

Post by lee71 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm

its the same,i even replaced it with the default file but still get the same error message..

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:53 am

it can't be the same or it would not error out.

If you run the update on an unmodified set of phpbb files, you get no errors at all with easymod.

remember, easymod looks for lines and spaces as well as code.

robert

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”