Weird lag bug

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
GrimFandango

Weird lag bug

Post by GrimFandango » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 pm

I've been having a weird issue lately that I'm having trouble identifying the source of.

I currently have 5 different subforums for various languages. For some reason, clicking on news posts in the Danish language forums causes a long delay as if the page is timing out (1+ min.) The post will eventually show, but the entire site will be incapacitated while the lagging page is loading.

I'm a bit hesitant to give the link to the forum, since that might exasperate the problem by well-meaning posters trying to click the links to see what's happening. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the problem only occurs periodically. The intervals seem random (to me).

Anyway, there are precisely zero differences between the Danish forums and the other forums where everything works smoothly. That is, I haven't added any custom coding or anything like that for the Danish forums, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what might be causing it.

Any suggestions?

hc2995

Re: Weird lag bug

Post by hc2995 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 pm

possibly, the script is having a problem with the danish language pack. Check for a new version, or just remove it.

Hope that helps,
Hc

Dianna668

Post by Dianna668 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue! I am only using the english language on my forum. It's a brand new forum and had only 9 users and maybe only one topic when it started this lag problem. It's been a week so far and still having the lag. It happens off and on throughout the day. It works fine and then it starts this lag.

It does show a 'critical error' saying the forum is not connecting to the database. I don't know if this is the same issue causing the lag and the critical error. If the users hit refresh or the back button it connects back up to the forum.

It makes no sense. Help?

I have another forum that's 7 months old and it has never had any trouble like this.

GrimFandango

Post by GrimFandango » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:00 am

hc2995 wrote:possibly, the script is having a problem with the danish language pack. Check for a new version, or just remove it.
I should have mentioned in my OP that the exact same problem happened once before in my English forum section. It lasted for some days (on and off) and then it mysteriously disappeared, so I thought nothing more of it. Now it has resurfaced in the Danish section. The language pack is the latest, and considering that the same problem occurred in the English section, I suppose that is an unlikely cause of the problem.

I might also add that I have a blog mod installed that serves the posts as news items on the front page (http://www.oneak.net - I think it's safe to post the link now since the problem just went away). There is no lag when getting data from the posts this way, making the problem all the more mysterious...
Dianna668 wrote:It does show a 'critical error' saying the forum is not connecting to the database. I don't know if this is the same issue causing the lag and the critical error. If the users hit refresh or the back button it connects back up to the forum.
I don't know; I've never gotten any error messages - it's just lagging for a real long time before the forum post shows. Does this happen to all topics when the problem occur? It might be a problem with your host server then. I had to have my webhost move my site from an old server because it caused similar periodical problems as the ones you are describing. When moved to a new, fully updated, server, the problem disappeared. I would suggest contacting your host and ask them if they can move your site or look into it and see if there's a problem on their side.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:08 am

Dianna668 wrote:Hi, I'm having the exact same issue! I am only using the english language on my forum. It's a brand new forum and had only 9 users and maybe only one topic when it started this lag problem. It's been a week so far and still having the lag. It happens off and on throughout the day. It works fine and then it starts this lag.

It does show a 'critical error' saying the forum is not connecting to the database. I don't know if this is the same issue causing the lag and the critical error. If the users hit refresh or the back button it connects back up to the forum.

It makes no sense. Help?

I have another forum that's 7 months old and it has never had any trouble like this.
This clearly sounds like your web host's database server is having some problems. Have you complained to them about it?
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Dianna668

Post by Dianna668 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 am

I have ipower for my webhosting and I know they are going through a huge transition to new servers and new control panels, etc. So from what I'm reading from the response, seems the server that the MySQL database for the forum is sitting on a problematic or busy server. I know for this site that I just set up, it's already installed on their new servers. I have anothe forum that has not been transitioned yet to their new setup and I have never had this lag problem. That forum is fine and continues to be fine, even when this new forum lags. It's very strange as it happens off and on throughout the day. So that does sound to me that it's due to traffic or on the server side.

Thanks for you advice. I'll give them a call tomorrow. When I get it resolved I'll post here if I get any answer to the issue in case others may have the same issue.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”