Help...we have no idea what to do.....

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Luizianna

Help...we have no idea what to do.....

Post by Luizianna » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:24 am

We have this message.... Your installation does not seem to be up to date. Updates are available for your version of phpBB, please visit http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php to obtain the latest version.
The latest available version is phpBB 2.0.23. You are running phpBB 2.0.22.

We thought the server where our site and the forum are hosted did the upgrades....they say no. This board was started by someone who is now deceased and we have taken it over as we were site admins before his passing away. We have no idea what to do or where to go to upgrade. Can someone please help?????

Crazy-S

Re: Help...we have no idea what to do.....

Post by Crazy-S » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:56 am

Do you have access to the files via FTP?

Do you have access to the database?

The database is not needed for the update, but access to the files are needed in order to do the updates.

You can simply download the file updates and do them manually as long as you have FTP access to replace the updated files.
Visit Crazy-Software.com for some great personalized gift making software!

Like Personalized candy Wrappers? Then visit Our Community

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Not surprisingly, this is a FAQ and is covered both in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum, and in the Knowledge Base - here:

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/re-inst ... te-phpbb2/
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:37 pm

Luizianna wrote:We have this message.... Your installation does not seem to be up to date. Updates are available for your version of phpBB, please visit http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php to obtain the latest version.
The latest available version is phpBB 2.0.23. You are running phpBB 2.0.22.

We thought the server where our site and the forum are hosted did the upgrades....they say no. This board was started by someone who is now deceased and we have taken it over as we were site admins before his passing away. We have no idea what to do or where to go to upgrade. Can someone please help?????
Take it slow, keep backups of files you alter. The update isn't that difficult and with patience, and common sense, you can do it.

Good luck and know that you can always come on here to ask questions/get help.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Luizianna

Post by Luizianna » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:03 pm

Ok stevemaury, I clicked on the link you gave me and so far...everything is about as clear as mud. We downloaded the zip file of the upgrade, but have no idea exactly where it should be put, does it go in the database? if so...where..exactly?? ....we are totally clueless about this stuff and scared to death we are going to really do some damage cause we sure as heck have no idea how to fix what we don't know how we messed up! There has got to be somewhere or someone that can give step by step instructions in plain english to help people like us.

Thanks for trying to help us and please be patient. Thanks

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:20 pm

First what did you download? The Changed Files download?

I will assume so. First, of course, unzip the file. Then, in your FTP client, select all the files and folders and drop them onto the root folder of your forum. Allow them to overwrite the existing files.

Then, in your browser, navigate to www.yourdomain/your_forum_root/install/update_to_latest.php. After that has run, delete the install folder. Done.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”