Installation Problems (Split from Installation Instructions)

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Polman

Post by Polman »

You have to edit config.php in the main directory of phpBB. You must uncomment the section of variables you want to edit (erase the /* and */) and then enter your database information ans save.
Dyno

I did

Post by Dyno »

I Did Erase The /* but for some reason its still like that...is there another problem
Dyno

Thanks

Post by Dyno »

Well I Fixed It..Thanks Everyone
tykeal

Post by tykeal »

*sigh* I should have known.

As referenced here I can't get phpBB2 to install. No this time I'm not using CVS (that would be silly as you've got a betaball out now ;)). The only changes between what was posted in that article and now is that I'm using the betaball and I followed the install instructions here pretty much verbatim (did the cat of both mysql files instead of two separate commands).

Like I said last time I do get output from the system, but it's a "semi"-blank page. By this I mean I get the following:

Code: Select all

<html><body></body></html>

I'm not sure if I should bug this or not. I have yet to try it on my production box in a separate DB. If ya'll want I can. The differences in versions are thusly though:

dev box:
  • RedHat Linux 7.1
  • MySQL 3.23.36-1
  • PHP 4.0.4pl1-9
  • Apache 1.3.19-5

production box:
  • RedHat Linux 7.1
  • MySQL 3.23.32-1.7
  • PHP 4.0.4pl1-3
  • Apache 1.3.14-3

Obviously I've got differing versions, it might be one of the components. But like I said before, I want to make sure ya'll are aware of this problem.
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

Given that there are dozens (hundreds?) of working installs it seems to me that this is something perculiar to your setup.

If you can give us steps to replicate the problem (which may be difficult since you can't get it running at all(!)) that would be helpful.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

I do recall one or two others saying that they had this problem... even if it's only 1% that's affected, gotta fix it :)

tykeal, here's my suggestion for determining the problem. First of all, make 100% sure that .PHP files are being parsed by PHP... it could all be as simple as that, don't assume it's set properly in the Apache config file, go in and make sure, and then run a phpinfo() test. After all, we all know that saying, "never assume..."

If PHP files are indeed working, then remove Apache, MySQL and PHP from your dev box, and then install old versions, matching your production box.

If the board works after reverting to old versions: Remove and update PHP, then MySQL, then Apache, from the old version to the latest version. Figure out which one is causing the problem.

If the board still doesn't work: Back up your apache.conf, php.ini, and the other configuration files for an Apache/MySQL/PHP server (I could name them all if I had the time, but I work in a bit, no time to look at my own setup :| ), and then copy all the config files from your production box to your dev box. If the board then works, try reverting to your backed-up config files, one-by-one, till you determine which one is blanking out the pages.

Let us know if you can determine the problem!
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
tykeal

Post by tykeal »

Hmm... good idea. I'll have to give that a try when I get a chance to.

As to if my machine is actually parsing PHP. Yes it is. I use it regularly for my own PHP projects.

I'll see what I can figure out as to what is causing the problem when I get a chance.
dougk_ff7
Former Team Member

Post by dougk_ff7 »

The problem seems to be specific to RedHat only. I had problems using 7.0 with PHP. So I'd try not using the RPMs and doing plain old source installs of everything. Or, just switch to Slackware. 8)
dougk_ff7.... stand by for sig! oooh! wow.
tykeal

Post by tykeal »

Umm... no. I've got too many other things to do than be dinking around with sourceballs when there are RPMs around. The point behind RPM is so that I don't have to go dinking with tarballs all the time. :P

As for Slack. I don't think so. My last "runin" with it may have been back some 6 years ago when I first started looking at Linux, but personally what I saw at that point was just too much. I'm sure by now it's probably gotten a lot better but I'm comfy with RedHat.

Besides with the number of times I have to "coddle" a newbie into Linux I would rather do it on RedHat or Mandrake and since I know them better. Since I prefer Redhat of the two I'll stick with it :mrgreen:

Secondary reason, since my production box is RedHat and I can't take it down to switch distro's and it will _very_ soon be getting upgrades (probably to several of the versions on my dev box) I need to figure this out. Like I said before I'll let ya'll know what I find out about if it's one of ther versions.
dougk_ff7
Former Team Member

Post by dougk_ff7 »

Ok, well, good luck... Mandrake seems to work fine though if you don't mind that one, I just find it a pane to configure. :o
zerobarrier

Post by zerobarrier »

Hello,
I just installed phpbb2. For some reason, all the php files display a blank screen when I try to display them. in other words, nothing is showing up except a white screen.

Any suggestions? :?:

Thanks
dougk_ff7
Former Team Member

Post by dougk_ff7 »

Hmmmm.... Just saying "it doesn't work" doesn't solve any problems. It does sound like the above problem though. If you could post your system information & versions, it might be helpful. Also, that's what the Sourceforge Bug tracker is for! ;)
scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 »

That's not much of a bug, that's a problem :mrgreen:
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!
zerobarrier

Post by zerobarrier »

PHP: 4.0.5
mySQL: 3.23.32

Also, it's weird b/c when I view the page source in the browser, nothing is there except empty html tags. :?:
tykeal

Post by tykeal »

Well I feel sheepish now *baaa*. Looks like the problem is that I forgot to install the php-mysql-4.0.4pl1-3 package.

Of course PHP was working for me. I just haven't been doing anything with mysql on my dev box (outside of trying to get phpBB2 up and running), of course I didn't run into this problem.

zerobarrier:

You might want to check and make sure that your php-mysql package is also installed.

Anyway, I must go and learn myself how to do templates so that I can have one ready for when phpBB2 is ready for a production box :)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”