How do I update to RC-4?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Bear

How do I update to RC-4?

Post by Bear »

How do I update from a previous RC to RC-4? This question will continue to come up again and again. And Paul has once again done an excellent job putting together instructions on how to update to RC-4. But alas, they will be missed or overlooked. So, here are the instructions in a nut shell.

Note: This does not apply to any other upgrades, i.e., 1.4.x to 2.0. If you have any questions, go read Paul's instructions.

Okay, let's start back at the beginning. Make a backup of your database. While that is happening, you may want to reread the instructions that Paul did up - he did put a lot of effort into them.

I wouldn't recommend a copy over technique - many files have changed (added/deleted) between the previous RC's and RC-4.

Make a copy of your current RC files and put them in a directory somewhere for backup purposes.

Upload all the files from RC-4 with the exception of config.php (you'll see in a moment), install.php and upgrade.php.

Copy the config.php from your old files (good thing you did that backup earlier) and upload to the RC-4 directory.

Right now, you should be able to go to your forums. You may not be able to read anything and the color scheme may appear blue - that's normal if you haven't applied the update.

Now run update_to_RC4.php. You may get a few errors. Read these errors and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.

Remove update_to_RC4.php.

Go to site. Login. Have fun.

Now wasn't that simple? :wink:

Edit: This post has been updated to reflect the new upload of RC-4.

keywords :: update_to_RC4.php upgrade security install tiny text layout CSS
Last edited by Bear on Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear
Got a thing for fashion? So do we at the Fashion Spot.
Let us give you the Royal Treatment at Les Tribunes Royales.
The_Systech
Former Team Member

Re: How do I update to RC-3?

Post by The_Systech »

Bear wrote: Remove update_to_RC3.php.

... and also remove upgrade.php :D
Jonathan L. Haase - Ex-Senior Developer phpBB
Bear

Re: How do I update to RC-3?

Post by Bear »

Bear wrote: Upload all the files from RC-3 with the exception of config.php (you'll see in a moment), install.php and upgrade.php.

Got that covered. :wink:
Bear
Got a thing for fashion? So do we at the Fashion Spot.
Let us give you the Royal Treatment at Les Tribunes Royales.
nzAnon

So, is this all good?

Post by nzAnon »

<spam all gone>
Last edited by nzAnon on Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainbowz

Holy Jumpin that was easy!!!

Post by rainbowz »

Could it possibly be any simpler? Other than having someone else do this for you, no.
Setheus

Post by Setheus »

mine says:
Running :: ALTER TABLE phpbb_ranks DROP COLUMN rank_max -> FAILED ---> Can't DROP 'rank_max'. Check that column/key exists

Running :: ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD COLUMN user_session_time int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, ADD COLUMN user_session_page smallint(5) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, ADD INDEX (user_session_time) -> FAILED ---> Duplicate column name 'user_session_time'

Running :: ALTER TABLE phpbb_search_results MODIFY search_id int(11) NOT NULL -> COMPLETED

Running :: ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics MODIFY topic_moved_id mediumint(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, ADD COLUMN topic_first_post_id mediumint(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, ADD INDEX (topic_first_post_id) -> FAILED ---> Got error -1 from table handler

Running :: ALTER TABLE phpbb_themes_name ADD COLUMN tr_class1_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN tr_class2_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN tr_class3_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN th_class1_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN th_class2_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN th_class3_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN td_class1_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN td_class2_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN td_class3_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN span_class1_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN span_class2_name varchar(50) NULL, ADD COLUMN span_class3_name varchar(50) NULL -> FAILED ---> Duplicate column name 'tr_class1_name'

Some queries failed! This is probably nothing to worry about, update will attempt to continue. Should this fail you may need to seek help at our development board (see README)

WARNING >> Couldn't insert subSilver name info

Updating topic first post info
Couldn't obtain first post id list
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Erm, what's exactly the point of posting pages full of update_to_rc3.php output?
SK

Post by SK »

Funny really, I know nothing about PHP SQL etc etc. I installed pbpBB2 RC-2 easily as I read the documentation and followed it. I notced there was an update last night so went ahead with the doucmentation for upgrading. Either im very lucky or some people just do not read the instructions. :wink:

Thank you phpBB guys for a great board btw. Oh one thing I did forget to backup was my logo_phpbb.gif image :(
loopmaster

Post by loopmaster »

Funny really, I know nothing about PHP SQL etc etc. I installed pbpBB2 RC-2 easily as I read the documentation and followed it. I notced there was an update last night so went ahead with the doucmentation for upgrading. Either im very lucky or some people just do not read the instructions.

We must both be lucky then, I had no problems either :)

loop
Last edited by loopmaster on Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy a sun filled tropical holiday at http://www.ojko.com/phpbb/ home of the official FinalBurn Alpha forums. FinalBurn Alpha is an emulator for MC68000/Z80 based arcade games.
SK

Post by SK »

Must be a british thing :wink:
loopmaster

Post by loopmaster »

Maybe only British people read properly. :)

As far as I can see, the instructions are very straight forward and easy to use. I've never installed a php based system before and was surprised how easy it was.
Enjoy a sun filled tropical holiday at http://www.ojko.com/phpbb/ home of the official FinalBurn Alpha forums. FinalBurn Alpha is an emulator for MC68000/Z80 based arcade games.
SK

Post by SK »

What that man said \o/

I know nothing and ive managed to get it mostly working on a pc with nothing installed.

:o
MobileBadBoy

Post by MobileBadBoy »

I made the ultimate jump.

Went from 1.2 to 1.4 to RC-3 in about 30 minutes. :D That was fun. Glad I found out before hand that I had to upgrade to 1.4 first, or it might have gotten messy. 8O
SK

Post by SK »

If anyone could take a look at the last post for me I would be greatfull with mission complete upon the fix.
:lol:

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=8061

:roll:
silk2000

Post by silk2000 »

gheheheh :) I am a little bit scared that I would fuck the board up

with the upgrade from 1.4.4 to r3

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”