[Solved] Dare I use the "N" word...

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Integra_grrl

[Solved] Dare I use the "N" word...

Post by Integra_grrl »

If you aren't the conversative type, just read the red areas, LOL. Image

Hello, yes, as you can see, I'm a nn... nnn... a.. this is harder than I thought. I'm a Image here.

I've been poking and probing around the threads in search of the info I need. Because I know that's the first step most n... ya know, forget or don't want to take.

I kinda found what I'm looking for,
there are instructions on installing your board on Lycos, I saw that much. Will the same instructions work for Yahoo? I purchased a domain from them and hosting and they support php and MySQL(sp?).

My question, will the Lycos instructions work for me?
I really want to figure out how to do this on my own. Well the actual act of installing it. If anything, please point me in the direction of a post you know has this info already dicussed in it.

LOL, I know I'm long winded, I actually do talk a lot. It's not just my online persona. Any and all help is appreciated.
Last edited by Integra_grrl on Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Basically the procedure to install phpBB is the same for every host. You just have to know the database name, database server hostname , your username and your password for this database server. The rest is the same as described in the installation guide.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
LazyFrog

I'm not sure ..

Post by LazyFrog »

... but I would assume that your install on Yahoo (if you have a subscribed web hosting package) would be no differnet that a normal install (I think Lycos has special considerations not applicable to Yahoo).

I assume that you have FTP access to your server ... so just - FTP your files to your server after you unzip them locally, -Follow the procedures for altering your config.php file, - remember to delete the install files and other files that you are directed to delete from the server, -chmod your config.phhp file to 644. - voila

Before you do any of the above ... you have to first set up a MySQL database on your server (database name, password, etc) .. follow instruction ... you might need to do this via phpMyAdmin panel ... does Yahoo provide this in your Control Panel area? At any rate .. you might have to contact Yahoo to help you get the phpBB forum "talking.connected" to your newlu established database file.

You might wait around for some more responses .. but that is pretty much what I did.
LazyFrog (aka La Rana Floja)
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

SuGa wrote: Basically the procedure to install phpBB is the same for every host. You just have to know the database name, database server hostname , your username and your password for this database server. The rest is the same as described in the installation guide.

Thanx a million. You guys work fast in here. Well, here I go. Wish me good luck. Image

If anyone else drops in. Please feel free to leave tips and pointers to any info that might help. I'm thankful for any tips or links you leave me.

(PS. I'm still here, I'm just also there. Hehehe.)
MobileBadBoy

Post by MobileBadBoy »

My only advice darlin, post in normal colors, and exclude all the gifs and whatnot. :wink:
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Use FTP programs such as SmartFTP or Fetch to upload files, or FTP-based editors such as Homesite and Dreamweaver to edit your site. Use the settings below:

Okay, Yahoo had this info at my FTP upload area. Is this is good idea? Where will I find a program like this?
LazyFrog

Hahaha!

Post by LazyFrog »

Welcome to the forum Integra .. consider yourself officially initiated now with that last post.

You should probably, in addition to the Installation Guide, read the following before getting too deep into posting (it will save you from some bruising here):

Forum Posting Rules
phpBB User Guide
Knowledge Base
FAQs

Running a search before you post questions and reading all the above will save you from some gentle (and not so gentle) "reminders" that come with questions that are easilly answered with a quick search or reading a support/documentation topic.

Welcome, and good luck again with getting up and running!!!! Look forward to hearing from you again soon! Let us know how it proceeds!
LazyFrog

Post by LazyFrog »

http://smartftp.com

I prefer the Dreamweaver FTP client ... but you will need a program like smartftp to chmod.

phpBB recommends the smartftp.

read: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=14
Integra_grrl

Re: Hahaha!

Post by Integra_grrl »

Thanx MobileBadBoy and LazyFrog. I have most of those windows minimized now (and just added about 2 you pointed out to me LazyFrog). I'm also using the search option in the forum, that's the first thing I used when I registered about an hour or two ago, and it pointed me into the direction of the "HowTo:" Lycos file.

I honestly know what it's like to get a new person in thats asks a million already answered questions without looking, so I'm looking and asking for any shameless plugs at the same time (if that makes any sense.)

But I'm really thankful you took the time to drop in and say something. We usually ignore most newbies the first day or so in my spots, if they ask or post things we already have threaded, ESP things that are on -pg 1- of the forum they chose to drop in on. (I know, that's cruel... I guess. I'm happy you guys are more gentle.)

Okay here I go again. LOL. :mrgreen: (I'm a blab mouth, I know, I need help.)
primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

MobileBadBoy wrote: My only advice darlin, post in normal colors, and exclude all the gifs and whatnot. :wink:
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Oh my heavens Image

Thank the stars for SmartFTP. If I had to upload all that ::bleeping bleep:: 1-10 files at a time on Yahoo's currupt(sp?) server, I'd be standing on top of a skyscraper capping folks with a paintball gun (pointless, I know).

Thanks for showing me the way guys. Still working on it, but it's moving along.

:wink: (<-- He looks like he's in pain, not like he's winking, heheheh)

(PS: I know, it's evident, it's 7:47am and I haven't been to sleep yet.)
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Okay, I uploaded the entire unzipped package to my server:

phpBB2/ (25 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/admin (19 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/contrib (4 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/db (9 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/docs (8 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/images (3 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/images/smiles (23 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/includes (26 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/install (5 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/install/schemas (7 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/language (2 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/language/lang_english (8 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/language/lang_english/email (16 files and/or folders)

phpBB2/templates (2 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/templates/subSilver (51 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/templates/subSilver/admin (39 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images (49 files and/or folders)
phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english (16 files and/or folders)

Yahoo, my webhost supports php/MySQL. And I used SmartFTP to transfer my files. [Which it and phpbb recommended(sp?)]

I keep getting this message when I try to follow the "install" link:

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

Everytime I use F7 or right click to choose "Properties/CHMOD" to make "config.php" writeable to all users I get this message:
SITE CHMOD 666 config.php
500 'SITE CHMOD 666 config.php': command not understood.

Long story short: please help Image Image

I'm doing something wrong evidently. But I don't know what.
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Can someone please help me out? Or someone who can or(has) change(d) the permissions in "config.php" to writeable by all, please send me the file so that I can upload it.

I'm guessing this is the only reason I can't get the install link to work.
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

What programs can I use to change my permissions in config.php? I used Smartftp to upload, but I can't change it to writeable by all.
chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos »

in smartftp, right click on the file, and then you can change the permissions.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”