[Solved] Dare I use the "N" word...

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Man Without Fear

Post by Man Without Fear »

oooh oooh .... Integra=grrl has an animated avatar .... watch out! Even a SuperHero can't save you from the wrath of violating the house rules. My powers only extend so far!!! Watch out ... they'll be around to get you soon .......

I often pose as a gargoyle if I suspect that anyone is watching me.... you might try that too, see if it works.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

LazyFrog wrote:
Secondly, phpBB doesn't recommend anything.

Well, SmartFTP is recommended in the phpBB.com approved article in the knowledge base.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=14

Hahahaha ... it says right there that it is recommend it ... and some other programs. Maybe is isn't "technically" recommended by phpBB.com //// but saying that it is in the Knowledge base gives the appearance that it does.
SmartFTP is recommended by the person that wrote the article. That person is a Support Team Member. I recommend AceFTP, does that mean phpBB.com recommends AceFTP? No. It doesn't so please stop this phpBB.com recommends this and that. phpBB.com recommends nothing.
My point was that she was being sent on a wild goose chase in downloading CuteFTP as a cure to her issue.
She wasn't sent on a wild goose chase. Use whatever works for you.
And if nothing is being recommended ... it should be ... as not all FTP clients support CHMOD ... which is a critical component of a phpBB.com forum install. I think the KB article sufices nicely in covering that.
It is up to the user to figure out which client supports chmod and which doesn't. I'm going to step out on the limb and say 99% of today's ftp clients support chmod.
I am assuming that all entries into the phpBB2.com Knowledge Base are approved by phpBB.com representatives ... but I may be wrong on that.
You are correct. Except when the writer is a staff member, the article is automagically approved.
So let me rephase/correct myself for Integra_grrl; "SmartFTP is recommended as an FTP Client in pbpBB.com's Knowledge Base." ... and phpBB.com recommends that everyone reads the Knowledge Base so that we can help ourselves and lend a helpful hand to others.
Again, it is up to the user to find which client works for them and their environment. How would you feel if phpBB.com told you you had to use Linux as your OS and you had to use kbear as your ftp client? No. You use what you are comfortable with and what you are able to use and afford. Not all ftp clients are free you know . . .
The man who is right wrote: oooh oooh .... Integra=grrl has an animated avatar .... watch out! Even a SuperHero can't save you from the wrath of violating the house rules. My powers only extend so far!!! Watch out ... they'll be around to get you soon .......

I often pose as a gargoyle if I suspect that anyone is watching me.... you might try that too, see if it works.
Indeed. Integra_grrl: please change or remove your avatar as per the Avatar and Signature Rules. Thank you.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Man Without Fear

Post by Man Without Fear »

No. It doesn't so please stop this phpBB.com recommends this and that.

LazyFrog corrected himself and said that the Knowledge Base article which was approved by phpBB.com recommended the SmartFTP. The point was that he was trying to help ... and the other guy told her that her problem was that she needed to use CuteFTP (after she had already downloaded SmartFTP and was still having problems)... sounds like a wild goose chase to me. Don't loose site of the forest for the trees.

Dreamweaver FTP client does not have a chmod capability, as well as others. I downloaded SmartFTP based on the phpBB.com Knowledge Base article recommendation ... so I am glad that the recommendation was made available via this website (and that another helpful soul directed me) ... as I was going nuts trying to chmod with DWMX.

I think LazyFrog should be rewarded for helping others, not chastised.

SuperHeros always look for the good in people .... and those that aren't good, well I take them off the streets .... Fighting evil is my job.
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Man Without Fear wrote: oooh oooh .... Integra=grrl has an animated avatar .... watch out! Even a SuperHero can't save you from the wrath of violating the house rules. My powers only extend so far!!! Watch out ... they'll be around to get you soon .......

Sorry, I'm an idiot, I didn't know that. Fixed it. Didn't know yall had Mickey up in this piece.
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Techie-Micheal wrote: SmartFTP is recommended by the person that wrote the article. That person is a Support Team Member. I recommend AceFTP, does that mean phpBB.com recommends AceFTP? No. It doesn't so please stop this phpBB.com recommends this and that. phpBB.com recommends nothing.

Do you think this will fix my problem?
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Ok, it seems we got a little off topic here ;)

@Integra_grrl: I think I lost the whole thing. So I'll try to sum some things up:
  • You use yahoo as host. Which hosting plan do you use there?
  • What FTP-Client have you tried?
  • What is the exact error message?
  • Are your positive that you uploaded all files? Have you compared the folders on the server with those you have locally?
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

• You use yahoo as host.
    Yes.
  • Which hosting plan do you use there?
    Business Standard
  • What is the exact error message?[/color]
    SITE CHMOD 777 config.php
    500 'SITE CHMOD 777 config.php': command not understood.

• Are your positive that you uploaded all files?
    Yes, I ran a check list.
  • Have you compared the folders on the server with those you have locally?
    Yup, everything checked out.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Hm. Okay, just for the fun of it, try installing phpBB without chmod'ing and see what that does.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Techie-Micheal wrote: Hm. Okay, just for the fun of it, try installing phpBB without chmod'ing and see what that does.

You know curiosity drove me to that a few times already. And everytime it throws the same thing in my face: Gone

I don't understand.

Do I need to install that myphpAdmin thingy that Yahoo has? I'm kinda trying to stay away from it, cause I don't know if I'm suppose to change anything inside the file before I try installing it. And if I'm suppose to change something, what?
Last edited by Integra_grrl on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
Former Team Member

Post by Jools »

Hi there

when you uploaded all your files to your server have you got your ftp client set to upload in auto, I find this is the best way so that all the images upload in binary and the rest of the phpbb files get uploaded in ascii.

The install screen from your link you have given is not complete there are images and links missing.
Cheers
Julie :)
no support via PM
Knowledge Base
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Jools wrote: Hi there

when you uploaded all your files to your server have you got your ftp client set to upload in auto, I find this is the best way so that all the images upload in binary and the rest of the phpbb files get uploaded in ascii.

The install screen from your link you have given is not complete there are images and links missing.

Set to "auto"? Hmmm. How would I do that? Let me go investigate.
Luciouslinda

Post by Luciouslinda »

I have had alook at that link above and well, it seems that you do not have any language folders installed!!!!! maybe it is just me but there is nothing there apart from white and grey boxes!!!!!!

I would quite happily help you out here!!!! I have seen that you seem to be having problems with your config.php file and it being placed on your server am i correct!!!!

If this is so then i suggest that you delete everything on your server and then reupload it!!!!!!

Please then go to Yahoos phpMyAdmin and drop all tables that have been installed there!!!! This will then make it easy for you to have a clean install!!!!

Upload all files back to your server and run the install script!!!! This should look like this in full, with everything completed!!!!

Default Board Language : (English)
Database Type : (Database type default MySQOL 3.x)
Action : (Install or Upgrade) (Install for you)

Database Server Hostname / DSN : localhost
Database Name : (Your database name here)
Database Username : (You DB Username here)
Database Password : (Your DB password here)
DB Table Prefix : (Your DB table prefix, this is phpbb_ by default)

Admin Email Address : (Your email address here)
Domain Name : (Your web address here)
Server port : (Default port 80)
Script Path : (should default to your script path)
Admin Username : (Your username)
Admin Password : (Your Password)
Admin Password [ Confirm ] : (You password again)

Red text is what you have to change
Green is set by default, you do not have to change

You will then be directed to another page!!!

Your config file is un-writeable at present. A copy of the config file will be downloaded to your computer when you click the button below. You should upload this file to the same directory as phpBB 2. Once this is done you should log in using the administrator name and password you provided on the previous form and visit the admin control center (a link will appear at the bottom of each screen once logged in) to check the general configuration. Thank you for choosing phpBB 2.

Since FTP extensions are enabled in this version of PHP you may also be given the option of first trying to automatically FTP the config file into place.

Choose Download Method

Attempt to FTP config file into place : [Check Box]
Just send the file to me and i'll FTP it manually : [Check Box]

Select the Red one

Close all windows and then upload the downloaded file to your server, you will have to over write the old config file!!!

Delete install and contrib folders from server and hey presto all should now be working!!!! If you are having trouble PM me and i will try to help out a little more!!!!
Linda
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Luciouslinda before I re-upload, do I need to do the "auto" thing Jools told me about? I was watching as it uploaded the files before. And it seemed to switch between ascii and binary as it was uploading.

And do I need to install Yahoo's myphpAdmin before I re-upload?
Integra_grrl

Post by Integra_grrl »

Oh, and do I need to extract the "ms_access_primer.zip" file in the "phpBB2\install\schemas" directory and then place the extracted file back into the directory?

Or do I leave everything as is, and upload it?
Luciouslinda

Post by Luciouslinda »

Right if you do not have Yahoo phpMyadmin installed then yes this would be a good idea!

I have never had to install phpMyadmin, i use Uklinux which is free if you can dial into there server or for a little charge you can use the BB connection!!! This comes with phpMYadmin pre installed!!!!

Also to do with the ms_primer thingy, i have never had to worry about this because i am using mySQL 3.x well UKlinux are using this anyway!!!! the ms_primer is to do with if you are not using mySQL......

Erm other than that, most FTP programs will be able to work out what way to upload everythng so you will not have to worry about that... I use LeapFTP which is pretty much the same a CuteFTP and all the other FTP programs that are out there!!!!

Erm do you have a database name, if so then you just have to find out what the database is running on!!!!!!! MS-Access or mySQL, maybe you should contact Yahoo and ask them if it is all ready just for you to upload your files!!!!

Today i have just uploaded phpBB again and well it seems to be working fine for me!!! have another go at it, do as i said earlier, and make sure you know what set up your provider is running and it should all work fine!!!

Contact me if you are still having problems and i will try to help!!!
Linda

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”