Upgrading from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
tarirotariro

Upgrading from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4

Post by tarirotariro »

Hi

I've read about a way to update from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4 without any change in the database. Installing one full 2.0.4 version in another directory with different prefix in the new database, then change the prefix for the old database and you have your 2.0.4 running on the old database.

It works, but I have the doubt if this way perharps had a hidden bug... or it's all OK? :?:

P.D: sorry for my bad english
Last edited by tarirotariro on Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Are there any specific reason why you don't want to update your database?
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
lazydave

Post by lazydave »

judging by the amout of probems i have id say yes. should have stuck with the old files.
tarirotariro

Post by tarirotariro »

SuGa wrote: Are there any specific reason why you don't want to update your database?

Hi

I don't want to lose any post or user (no new registration), and I've heard about problems with the updating from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4, so this is why I'd prefer a new installation but with the same database ( I've heard that the database is the same in 2.0.3 than 2.0.4)
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

tarirotariro wrote: ( I've heard that the database is the same in 2.0.3 than 2.0.4)
Very close, but not quite.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

The database isn't the same, but updating shouldn't affect your posts and things like that. If you want to be on the safe side just make a backup of your database ;-) Then run the normal update procedure :-)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
tarirotariro

Post by tarirotariro »

Hi

Please, what are the difference between both databases? I can't see it

If I'd update on my way, can I have some trouble in my board?
tarirotariro

Post by tarirotariro »

tarirotariro wrote: Hi

Please, what are the difference between both databases? I can't see it

If I'd update on my way, can I have some trouble in my board?

Any comments? :?
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

AFAIK the only differences are some added indices to improve the query-speed. You shouldn't experience any problems with your solution but you also won't get the speed improvement thanks to the additonal indices.
t0m|ta

Post by t0m|ta »

mmm very interesting, I'm also using the old database, mainly because my hosting only lets me use phpmyadmin, and I keep geting time outs event if I try to update splitting the backup in pieces.

I do not know much about databases so excuse me if my question is stupid. ¿Would it be possible to add those indices by hand, or would it mess the whole database?

Thanks
t0m|ta
--
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I don't know why you couldn't.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
tarirotariro

Post by tarirotariro »

OK, I'm here again :mrgreen:

Now I have running 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 in differentes subdirectories but with the same old non-updated database

My question is: if I run install/update_to_204.php from the update package, mods will still running?

If this file only update the database maybe can't stop mods, but all or only mods that didn't modify the database?

Thanks in advance
tarirotariro

Post by tarirotariro »

tarirotariro wrote: OK, I'm here again :mrgreen:

Now I have running 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 in differentes subdirectories but with the same old non-updated database

My question is: if I run install/update_to_204.php from the update package, mods will still running?

If this file only update the database maybe can't stop mods, but all or only mods that didn't modify the database?

Thanks in advance

I know, I know... this is a very strange question... :?

but anybody can help me? :wink:

C'ya
phpika

Post by phpika »

Heya, as far as I know you'd have to install all the mods again I'm afraid

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”