Allow File Uploads/Downloads?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
darone

Re: Allow File Uploads/Downloads?

Post by darone » Fri May 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Jim_UK wrote:For a board that does not have any other mods installed there are pre-modded files for subSilver but if you have a different template then you still have quite a bit of work to do.
Yea, my board has mods so it's not going to be fun. Thanks all for the help!

darone

Post by darone » Sun May 11, 2008 4:45 am

OK I followed the instructions of the mod (below) and my forum is GONE!! It made it into a brand new installation! Is it because I didn't change the path name in that field?? How do I get everything back?? I am SO not the person to be doing something like this. HELP!

*EDIT: Now I know what I did. I uploaded the wrong INSTALL folder. I have my host working on it. I hope they can restore all my members and messages. I can't believe I made such a horrible mistake!

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Sun May 11, 2008 9:10 am

Didn't you backup your existing files before you started?
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

darone

Post by darone » Mon May 12, 2008 1:35 am

ric323 wrote:Didn't you backup your existing files before you started?
I always back up my files, but I don't know how to put it back. What I did was run the install folder for a new installation on accident. I still have all my template files, files that I changed for my mods, etc...but I don't know how to get my forum to show up like it was before. Right now it looks like the stock phpbb forum telling me to delete the install folder and contrib folders. I don't know anything about databases and all that. I messed up real good. I have my host tech support possibly working on it. I hate being at the mercy of their timeframe. I don't really want to start over and have everyone sign up again. ug. Is it as easy as just REuploading my backed up files? Will all the members and messages be there?

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Tue May 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Upload all your backed up files to replace the ones on the server. Check first that you have a copy of the file config.php that resides in the root of your board and that the file has the database connection info in it.
If it does not then download the one from your new install and edit it to show the connection info for the old tables. Upload this file to the server as well.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

darone

Post by darone » Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Jim_UK wrote:Upload all your backed up files to replace the ones on the server. Check first that you have a copy of the file config.php that resides in the root of your board and that the file has the database connection info in it.
If it does not then download the one from your new install and edit it to show the connection info for the old tables. Upload this file to the server as well.

Jim
That worked like a charm!! THANKS!

darone

Post by darone » Wed May 14, 2008 4:21 am

OK so I tried to install the mod - I uploaded the changed files and the mod files and when I went to my main page of my forum, it was just white with nothing. I deleted all the new files and restored my changed files and now my forum is back. Sheesh. I give up.

Is it possible for me to install a phpbb 3 board on my server but call it something else? Like instead of http://www.mywebsite.com/forum - call it http://www.mywebsite.com/sharing? I don't really want to do that, but I don't know what else to do.

I really wish I knew how to just upgrade my board to 3 so that I could have that feature, but after this mess - I KNOW it's impossible for me to do.

Thanks for any advice.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 am

darone wrote:Is it possible for me to install a phpbb 3 board on my server but call it something else? Like instead of http://www.mywebsite.com/forum - call it http://www.mywebsite.com/sharing? I don't really want to do that, but I don't know what else to do.
Yes.
That is in fact how you have to do it initially. You must install phpBB3 into a different folder to phpBB2, then import all the phpBB2 data into phpBB3 (the convertor does that for you).
Once phpBB3 is running ok, you can delete the phpBB2 folder, and optionally rename the phpBB3 folder to what the phpBB2 board was using if you wish.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

darone

Post by darone » Wed May 14, 2008 4:54 am

ric323 wrote: Yes.
That is in fact how you have to do it initially. You must install phpBB3 into a different folder to phpBB2, then import all the phpBB2 data into phpBB3 (the convertor does that for you).
Once phpBB3 is running ok, you can delete the phpBB2 folder, and optionally rename the phpBB3 folder to what the phpBB2 board was using if you wish.
Thanks for the info! It doesn't sound too hard. So if I mess up the 3 installation, I can still keep my 2 installation running ok? I just don't want to take the forum down again or lose it completely.

THANKS for your fast reply!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”