Help help help server went down and lost my forum

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
paul taylor

Help help help server went down and lost my forum

Post by paul taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi,
Please please can someone help me. I had a forum working on my site and the server that hosted my forum went down. I have lost all of my site including the forum. The web guys have gave me another server and a new set of login details, and even though they are taking forever they said they will post everything from the old server back onto my new web space, Fine....

However I want to try and set up the forum myself and I am really worried I have lost it. I have setup up a folder called forum which is the location it was at before on my old server in the public html folder.

I have copied a verson of all the files I had saved on my computer and I thought that would be it.

Its now asking my to install the database again. I have imputted the database name, username and password from an old e-mail when I was given the settings and it just comes up critial error, can not be found.

I have deleted the install and contrib folders like I know I have to but I just cant get it to find my forum.

My web host guy says with it being a new server it didnt have a database setup so he has set me up one with a new database name, username and password different to the first database, surely this isnt what I need.

How do I get my forum back with all my members and messages etc....

please someone help me, I have had some good help on this forum so hopefully some wizz can come along, but please put it simple as I am not that techincal.

Thanks in Advance.

Paul

Crazy-S

Re: Help help help server went down and lost my forum

Post by Crazy-S » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:11 pm

Do you have any backups of your database?
Visit Crazy-Software.com for some great personalized gift making software!

Like Personalized candy Wrappers? Then visit Our Community

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Without a backup of the original database, all your users and posts are gone.

If you don't have it, you need to find out if your hosts do.

If they do have it, get them to restore it, then you need the database name, userame and password then you can just rebuild your config.php file.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

paul taylor

Post by paul taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi I am sure that I backed up my database, I just need to find it what does it look like and when I find it what do I do with it? I have just done the config php file and added all the details to it like database name, username and password

Paul

paul taylor

Post by paul taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:31 pm

I have a file called theme_info and it says its a CFG file is this it?

Paul

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 pm

If all you downloaded was the forum folder from the server then you do not have the database. It's in a separate place entirely and isn't a file you access by FTP.

That cfg file is a config file for a style.

What does your database backup file look like? What is the file type and what's in it?
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

paul taylor

Post by paul taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:47 pm

I remember backing it up, but cant find it on my computer but I dont know what I am looking for, is it just one file?is it a series of files? I do remember clicking on backup forum and downloading a file to my computer. I could do a search if I new the file extention or something

Paul

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:52 pm

It's just one file.

Try a search for .sql or .gz
Cheap UK Hosting

paul taylor

Post by paul taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:01 pm

crap I cant find it, I remember doing it a few months back it picked up a few sql files but it looked like all the ones that are in the forum folder.

Paul

paul taylor

Post by paul taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:14 pm

I will be back on tommorrow evening, my head is done in and I am knacked thanks so far for your help.

I dont understand why it wont just point to the database in the config file I have just added all the details to it. I know my forum folder has been installed on a new webspace but even when they do copy everything over from the old server to the new one, will that sort it.

Paul

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:17 pm

Through the admin panel the default db backup is called phpbb_db_backup.sql or phpbb_db_backup.sql.gz if you chose the gzip compression.
I dont understand why it wont just point to the database in the config file I have just added all the details to it.
It has to point at a database which exists and which has exactly the right username etc.

That database also has to include your users etc if you want your forum to show up. You need to find out from the hosts if they've just made a fresh database (which won't work because phpBB has to populate it in an installation) or if they actually restored your existing database.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”