suggestions

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
tilleul

suggestions

Post by tilleul »

ok, here are some suggestions ... I'm not very familiar with phpbb but it looks very very cool (I just love the subsilver skin) ... i'm waiting impatiently for the final release ...

maybe some of these suggestions were already proposed or maybe some are actually features ... if so, sorry ...

Some of these were taken from the best board I know, it's based on ubb but it has been hacked completely ... here's a link (it's a french board sorry): http://forum.hardware.fr/forum.php3

this is what i'd like to see but you decide of course:

- ability to add user-defined smileys (users can upload smileys). Any user can use anyone else's smiley.
- ability for the admin to create new smileys without having to edit/hack the code (I really like smileys :-)
- nice feature: a mark is set next to threads you have already read (this is different to the "new messages here since your last visit" mark because it's based on threads you have READ). If you posted a message in this thread the mark has another color.
- ability to bookmark messages ... when boards are very active, you forget sometimes which threads you have read/participated ... with bookmarks you easily follow topics even if they're buried 4-5 pages later
- ability to display message hierarchy just like in "phorum" bb
- categories and subcategories forums. Imagine I want to create a forum for an all-computer site. I'd have a category "Pc", "Mac" and "Amiga". Under each category would be other categories (linking to the actual forums) like "OS", "hardware", "programming", etc
- ability to customize the "post a new topic" ... for example, above the textbox, add a message like "are you sure your question is not answered in another topic ? click here to search" ... etc
- make sure that admin can enable/disable the privileges they want to their sub-admin or moderators ....

it's about all I can think for now :)
All I have is yours
All you see is mine

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

suggestions

Post by theFinn »

- ability to add user-defined smileys (users can upload smileys). Any user can use anyone else's smiley.

Doubt this will ever be introduced into phpBB, its not a feature that I"ve hever heard requested before.
- ability for the admin to create new smileys without having to edit/hack the code (I really like smileys :-))

This feature has been in phpBB since v1.2
- nice feature: a mark is set next to threads you have already read (this is different to the "new messages here since your last visit" mark because it's based on threads you have READ). If you posted a message in this thread the mark has another color.

The folder colors change when you read a thread. There isn't a different color is you've posted however, that would be a logistical nightmare and would probably do a number on system proformance
- ability to bookmark messages ... when boards are very active, you forget sometimes which threads you have read/participated ... with bookmarks you easily follow topics even if they're buried 4-5 pages later

Something like this will probably make it into the feature list for v2.2. We can already mark a topic as 'watched' and that can be easily expanded to a favorites type system.
- ability to display message hierarchy just like in "phorum" bb

Threading...hate it... you'll probably never see it in phpBB.
- categories and subcategories forums. Imagine I want to create a forum for an all-computer site. I'd have a category "Pc", "Mac" and "Amiga". Under each category would be other categories (linking to the actual forums) like "OS", "hardware", "programming", etc

Sub-Forums you mean? This has been requested alot and will probably get into the 2.2 feature list.
- ability to customize the "post a new topic" ... for example, above the textbox, add a message like "are you sure your question is not answered in another topic ? click here to search" ... etc

Templates, the HTML in the v2.0 system is 100% customizable
- make sure that admin can enable/disable the privileges they want to their sub-admin or moderators ....

Permission settings on forums in v2.0 is VERY robust. It has all the options you could possible need :)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

tilleul

Post by tilleul »

thanks for the quick reply, now i'm waiting for phpbb 2.0 EVEN MORE IMPATIENTLY ;)
All I have is yours
All you see is mine

BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

suggestions

Post by BartVB »

theFinn wrote:

The folder colors change when you read a thread. There isn't a different color is you've posted however, that would be a logistical nightmare and would probably do a number on system proformance

That's not entirely true ;) Planning on putting something like this in 2.2, have heard Paul talking about it too. It's an 'watch this thread' kind of thing. Won't hurt performance that much (if at all). And it is a REALLY usefull feature if you ask me ;)
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

tilleul

"goto page"

Post by tilleul »

what happens when a topic has a lot of pages ? does it display "goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 .. " etc until the last page number or more like "goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, next" as on the top of the threads list ? what about "goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, next, last of x pages" ?
All I have is yours
All you see is mine

tilleul

Post by tilleul »

and ... probably a stupid question ... is there an anti-flood feature ?
All I have is yours
All you see is mine

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

Yes there is and you can as an admin decide how long it takes until a User can post again after his previous post.

jaeger_m

Post by jaeger_m »

@theFinn: Why don't you like threading?

tilleul

Post by tilleul »

Personnally I prefer flat display instead of threading ... but I remember that when I changed my forum from threaded to flat view, a lot of users complained ...

so far, phorum bb is the only board I know that offers flat or threaded view ... but it doesn't have smileys that's why I prefer phpBB anyway ;)

however it would be such a great feature ... 8)
All I have is yours
All you see is mine

theFinn

Post by theFinn »

jaeger_m wrote:
@theFinn: Why don't you like threading?

Ever seen a really high traffic threaded board? Its impossible to navigate. Threaded displays are often so badly done that its impossible to read the end result and get anything usfull out of it.

Even when threading is done right its hard to follow a conversation because it can jump around so much from post to post... Overall it just takes too much effort to read a topic..
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor

Tevlik Dovrer

Post by Tevlik Dovrer »

Ever tried the threaded view at slashdot.org? It is preaty good and has a high amount of trafic.

They let the user chose what view they want, could this be added as a feature to 2.2?

theFinn

Post by theFinn »

Slashdot's comments are a prime example of why I hate threading..heh

It probably won't get into the feature list for 2.2 because I havn't sofened on it enough, and it would require rewriting alot of stuff..
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor

dougk_ff7
Former Team Member

Post by dougk_ff7 »

I would have to say that threading is terrible because at the bottom of the topic I see 500 links to "RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: A subject". It really drives me nuts. I hate boards that either don't offer flat views as an option or automatically revert to a threaded view. Just because they are busy makes them a nightmare.
dougk_ff7.... stand by for sig! oooh! wow.

marsl

Post by marsl »

Well Doug and the Finn, take a look at the threaded an flat views at http://www.wwwthreads.com. I can not see any of the disadvantages you are talking here. A threaded view as an option gives the user the choice.

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 »

The disadvantages of letting users toggle between threaded view and flat view is...
In threaded view, when you reply to a message by clicking on Reply to the message, the reply will be BENEATH that post, but in flat view, the post will be all the way back.(Like all the other flat boards) That'll probably cause confusion. Get it?

:mrgreen:
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”