ok, here are some suggestions ... I'm not very familiar with phpbb but it looks very very cool (I just love the subsilver skin) ... i'm waiting impatiently for the final release ...
maybe some of these suggestions were already proposed or maybe some are actually features ... if so, sorry ...
Some of these were taken from the best board I know, it's based on ubb but it has been hacked completely ... here's a link (it's a french board sorry): http://forum.hardware.fr/forum.php3
this is what i'd like to see but you decide of course:
- ability to add user-defined smileys (users can upload smileys). Any user can use anyone else's smiley.
- ability for the admin to create new smileys without having to edit/hack the code (I really like smileys
- nice feature: a mark is set next to threads you have already read (this is different to the "new messages here since your last visit" mark because it's based on threads you have READ). If you posted a message in this thread the mark has another color.
- ability to bookmark messages ... when boards are very active, you forget sometimes which threads you have read/participated ... with bookmarks you easily follow topics even if they're buried 4-5 pages later
- ability to display message hierarchy just like in "phorum" bb
- categories and subcategories forums. Imagine I want to create a forum for an all-computer site. I'd have a category "Pc", "Mac" and "Amiga". Under each category would be other categories (linking to the actual forums) like "OS", "hardware", "programming", etc
- ability to customize the "post a new topic" ... for example, above the textbox, add a message like "are you sure your question is not answered in another topic ? click here to search" ... etc
- make sure that admin can enable/disable the privileges they want
to their sub-admin or moderators ....
it's about all I can think for now