Stress testing!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Stress testing!

Post by dhn »

I think it is time for some stress testing, isn't it? :) I would really like to know how well the Forum perfoms while a huge load of Users are simulated (100+) surfing the board at the same time. I know that there are a lot of factors like the kind of database or the strength of the server.

So does anyone know a nice Webserver stress tool (don't worry, I will test on my own board :)) which might help performing a task like this?

:)

jaeger_m

Post by jaeger_m »

I did some tests on a server (K62-250, 512MB Ram, Apache, Mysql). Went pretty good!

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/vie ... =&start=15

The Flib

Stress testing!

Post by The Flib »

dhn wrote:
So does anyone know a nice Webserver stress tool (don't worry, I will test on my own board :)) which might help performing a task like this?

:)

If the pages take longer than an hour to load, they're putting too much stress on the server.

(Shut up Flib, go to sleep)
((OK))
(((Wow, I'm talking to myself in a post)))

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

(Actually, I was going to say the exact same thing... I keep trying to go to bed, but every time I refresh the index, you've written something else ;))
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

The Flib

Post by The Flib »

I really should go to sleep then. It's a good way to up my rank though, that "newbie" rank was lowering my self-esteem

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

LOL, make enough irrelevant posts (like me), and you'll be at phpBB Groupie status in no time :)

I'm off to bed, too... goodnight to all those Europeans who are just awakening :)
Kanuck

The Flib

Post by The Flib »

Or is it "good morning"?

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

Back to the original point of the post, Microsoft's web application stress tool is pretty good, and free: http://homer.rte.microsoft.com

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

Thx Nathan, I will gibe it a try.

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

My apologies for getting us completely off track, 'twas late... any comments I make after 11:00 PM EST are to be ignored, in all eternity... and should probably be discluded from my post count as well :)

Hmm... perhaps a proper benchmarking tool would be appropriate? I'm not sure if any of the commercial boards offer this, do they? Because if UBB, vBulletin, or other competing products have (first- or third-party) benchmarking tools for their boards, you might want to create a similar script, with results that could be compared to these other boards' results... I'd put money on phpBB2 winning out any competition of that type, and it would certainly make the task of 'marketing' the board much easier...

Plus, not only would it be a good way to compare different boards on the same server, it would also be a good way to test different servers with phpBB :)
Kanuck

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”