FANTASTIC

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
johnnyBoy

FANTASTIC

Post by johnnyBoy »

I am very new to the world of BB's, I have dabbled and tried BurningBoard, openBB and others. I finally settled on phpBB. Now I have just installed phpBB2 to test (on my local machine) and am knocked out. It is the dogs cajones!

I love it.

Just one q, how do I make mine look like this one?

Great job.

nathan
Former Team Member

[b]FANTASTIC[/b]

Post by nathan »

johnnyBoy wrote:
Just one q, how do I make mine look like this one?

This template will be the default template that ships with phpBB 2.0 when we release it. So.. Well, I guess you wait with the rest of the impatient folks around here. :D

Silverion

Post by Silverion »

All that you see here is available by download from CVS, from 2 great templates PSO and default subSilver to polls etc.

To get it working you need to sweet a little and there is still some options with more bugs then features but as you can see here it is working great and also as days pass it even look better ...

to find more info how to use CVS use SEARCH
Silverion
unofficial Beta tester ;-)

P.S. Sorry for my far from perfect english im italian ...

http://www.tip.it
http://www.arenascape.net/ ARENAscape MUD like browser text game im developing ..

johnnyBoy

Post by johnnyBoy »

Please don't think I'm a dummy (although you'd have every right to after my next sentence) but I have searched for CVS, PSO, themes, download et al, and I cannot find the URL to find the CVS. I get a lot of answers, genrally discussing, but no indication of where to find them. Can you help please?

jaeger_m

Post by jaeger_m »

johnnyBoy

Post by johnnyBoy »

Thanks for the link.

I think I shall resign myself to waiting for the dummy's download! I went there and ended up with a stupid vacant expression! The phrase biting off more than you can chew came to mind!

Rabbit in headlights!

Knogle

Post by Knogle »

Hmm don't worry, I will attempt to explain to you how you can download all the files from the CVS onto your local machine if you're win windows

Firstly, download WinCVS from http://www.winvcs.org :) Then i am sure you know ow to do the necessary installation steps etc. So now, open up the programme :)

Now click on Admin > Command line and do the following:

Code: Select all

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.phpbb.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/phpbb login
Press enter when it asks for a password.

Then do (in the same command line):

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.phpbb.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/phpbb co phpBB2

That will bring the whole think to your machine and put it in a sub-drectory called phpBB2 under the current directory.

Then when you want to get updates, you just cd into the phpBB2 directory and issue:

cvs -z3 update -d
You can also use the same cvs update command to regularly update your phpBB2 from the CVS :)

Now that you've got the whole directoryin your system, simple edit the necesasry information in config.php and upload the WHOLE phpBB2 directory onto your webserver. Also, look under /phpBB2/db - if you're using mysql just copy all the contents of mysql_schema.sql and dump it into the query box in phpmyadmin. next, dump the contents of mysql_basic.sql into the query box. You're now all setup :)

Just open up your web browser and go to the directory where you uploaded phpBB2 to :) Login as the admin (default password is 'admin', so please change your password immediately OR setup a new account, use the admin account to upgrade the new accoutn to status of administrator, and then delete the 'Admin' account :)

That should be it, and everythign should be working fine :))
-Knogle :mrgreen:

johnnyBoy

Post by johnnyBoy »

Wow, thanks. What a clear and succinct walkthrough. Just the way I can understand it! Easily digestable steps. Thank you very much. I shall get onto downloading WinCVS now.

Another dopey question (sorry). What is CVS and why do people use it. Why don't they write php pages then zip em up? Is it project management stuff or something?

Thanks again.

johnnyBoy

Post by johnnyBoy »

May I say sir, that you (colloquially speaking of course) are the 'dogs cajones'!

Great! Your step by step was perfect (even for a newbie to this like me). All downloaded (once I realised the command line was case sensitive) and installed locally. I will start my learning journey right away!

Thank you very much for your time and help.

scotshin7

Post by scotshin7 »

Quote from cvshome.org...
CVS is a version control system. Using it, you can record the history of your source files.

For example, bugs sometimes creep in when software is modified, and you might not detect the bug until a long time after you make the modification. With CVS, you can easily retrieve old versions to see exactly which change caused the bug. This can sometimes be a big help.

You could of course save every version of every file you have ever created. This would however waste an enormous amount of disk space. CVS stores all the versions of a file in a single file in a clever way that only stores the differences between versions.

CVS also helps you if you are part of a group of people working on the same project. It is all too easy to overwrite each others' changes unless you are extremely careful. Some editors, like GNU Emacs, try to make sure that the same file is never modified by two people at the same time. Unfortunately, if someone is using another editor, that safeguard will not work. CVS solves this problem by insulating the different developers from each other. Every developer works in his own directory, and CVS merges the work when each developer is done.

CVS started out as a bunch of shell scripts written by Dick Grune, posted to the newsgroup comp.sources.unix in the volume 6 release of December, 1986. While no actual code from these shell scripts is present in the current version of CVS much of the CVS conflict resolution algorithms come from them.

In April, 1989, Brian Berliner designed and coded CVS. Jeff Polk later helped Brian with the design of the CVS module and vendor branch support.

You can get CVS in a variety of ways, including free download from the internet. For more information on downloading CVS and other CVS topics, see:

http://www.cvshome.org/
http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs-index.html

There is a mailing list, known as info-cvs, devoted to CVS. To subscribe or unsubscribe write to info-cvs-request@gnu.org. If you prefer a usenet group, the right group is comp.software.config-mgmt which is for CVS discussions (along with other configuration management systems). In the future, it might be possible to create a comp.software.config-mgmt.cvs, but probably only if there is sufficient CVS traffic on comp.software.config-mgmt.

You can also subscribe to the bug-cvs mailing list, described in more detail in H. Dealing with bugs in CVS or this manual. To subscribe send mail to bug-cvs-request@gnu.org.

:mrgreen:
Richard S.: phpBB Groupie
Always Image Search before asking questions!

dougk_ff7
Former Team Member

Post by dougk_ff7 »

Anon users can't use SSH, only developers can.
dougk_ff7.... stand by for sig! oooh! wow.

niekas

Post by niekas »

thanks Knogle those instructions worked for me too.
cvs is a bit confusing ...

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”