Why is phpBB free?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Kim_Lemon

Why is phpBB free?

Post by Kim_Lemon » Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:24 pm

Why do you guys offer such an amazing forum all for free? :)

I actually want to donate some money, is it possible?
Last edited by Kim_Lemon on Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion » Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:28 pm

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/vie ... ght=donate

I think they would prefer you to donate to a charity rather than give them money.

hsim

Post by hsim » Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:29 pm

email me: hsim at gmx.li

z00om

Post by z00om » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:08 am

Why?
I'm not a developer, but I think I can help...

Because.

Thats why :)

Knowledge should be free!

Viva Open-Source! ;)

Kim_Lemon

Post by Kim_Lemon » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:36 am

z00om wrote: Why?
I'm not a developer, but I think I can help...

Because.

Thats why :)

hm, alright. If I scripted something huge, like this board, I would take it as a serious job, and a serious job pays.

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:54 am

Well.. you can bet every one of the devs takes the job of coding this board very serious. But you're wrong that a serious job should be paid.
In Open Software development, there are a lot of serious projects, many even bigger than this one, for which the devs never receive a penny.
This is the beauty of OSS: a dozen very talented programmers working on a piece of free software, encouraged and helped by a vast community of users/contributers. I think these projects often result in far better software than commercial projects.
Okay, there are always limitations to how much time a person can spend on a project that's not earning their living, but the good thing is there are no commercial deadlines and marketing descisions that will influence the quality of the final product.
Hence the ever recurring phrase: "It'll be done when it's done".
phpBB Converter Team Member
Developer of the vBulletin 2.x.x -> phpBB 2.0.x Converter
See Matthijs.net for more info

Hercules

Post by Hercules » Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:12 am

I think there are differences here...

the phpBB staff does this for the LOVE of PHP, and not the JOB of it. Creating a kickass forum, beating 'paid' forums out on many features and speed, is just the fruits of their labor.
Webmaster of MazdaWorld.org

la'dsasha

Post by la'dsasha » Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:34 am

Kim_Lemon wrote: hm, alright. If I scripted something huge, like this board, I would take it as a serious job, and a serious job pays.

http://openbsd.org

there are many "huge" open source projects. the people who are in charge of the project only get paid what people donate to them.

besides, who would pay for it when there are a zillion other free ones to choose from?

Notion

Post by Notion » Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:03 am

I chose phpBB2 for our brand new club website over UBB 6.0 which would have cost us hundreds of dollars. I love the whole look and feel of this software and I still find myself amazed at the quality of the production.

Although I am still experiencing teething problems with the new 2.0, I will definately stick with it, just to be part of the community and out of respect for the people who devote their time to create something this great.

On behalf on all the users of the Southern California s2000 owners club I would like to thank each and every person who has contributed to this project and given us a tool that helps us acheive great things as a community.

Joel Griffin Dodd
Webmaster
www.s2ksocal.com

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”