Snitz to phpbb

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
paciuli

Re: Snitz to phpbb

Post by paciuli » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:48 pm

Hi everyone :D
I'm trying to upgrade from Snitz to phpBB, using snitz2phpbb scripts. Here are the steps i followed:

1) installed Apache+PHP, MySQL 5.0, configured them to work together;
2) converted my Snitz Access database (3.4.06) in MySQL using MySQL Migration tool: everything went smooth, no errors
3) made a clean install of phpBB 2.0.22 (locally), created a second MySQL database, all good
4) configured and run snitz2phpbb scripts following the readme step by step.

Now, the strange thing is: it does convert my tables, but only a part of them... for example, it usually converts 260-280 users (of about 2800 total) and then stops, but no error is given. Same for posts and replies. Looks like it "overflows" at a certain point and stops the script, and maybe it can be solved by setting some mysql or apache parameter, but i can't figure out which ones... any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance :)
Biliardoweb - Italian billiard community - http://www.biliardoweb.com

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:26 pm

paciuli wrote:
Now, the strange thing is: it does convert my tables, but only a part of them... for example, it usually converts 260-280 users (of about 2800 total) and then stops, but no error is given. Same for posts and replies. Looks like it "overflows" at a certain point and stops the script, and maybe it can be solved by setting some mysql or apache parameter, but i can't figure out which ones... any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance :)
As you're running it locally, can you try to manually run the scripts? (from the terminal by typing 'php members.php' and the same for the others). I'm wondering if something goes wrong but somehow it's not shown in the browser (normally, it should output an error).

Also, can you check if the all the members were imported corrected from the Access file?

paciuli

Post by paciuli » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:39 pm

RalucaM wrote:
paciuli wrote:
As you're running it locally, can you try to manually run the scripts? (from the terminal by typing 'php members.php' and the same for the others). I'm wondering if something goes wrong but somehow it's not shown in the browser (normally, it should output an error).

Also, can you check if the all the members were imported corrected from the Access file?
Thanks for the prompt answer! :)
I've just tried this one: i've manually modified the queries in members.php (for example) including a WHERE statement; doing so, i could make the script start from where it left before, and process about the usual 250-300 following records... by repeating this 10 or 12 times i could import the entire members table, and (passwords apart) everything is ok. But converting 80000+ posts will be a nightmare this way... :( what can i try?

paciuli

Post by paciuli » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Hey! It looks like running php from terminal (as you suggested) does the job! Thanks!!! :D
Now i have to figure out the passwords problem... ;)

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:51 pm

I'm wondering if max_execution_time in php.ini is set to very low values (by default its 30 seconds). Unless the system is extremely slow, this should not be a problem. Also, if you're running the script from command line you can avoid browser timeout, which also might be set to 30 seconds in Apache.

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:57 pm

paciuli wrote:Hey! It looks like running php from terminal (as you suggested) does the job! Thanks!!! :D
I guess you'll have to reset their passwords, unless the passwords were in md5 format in the snitz database (or in clear text).

paciuli

Post by paciuli » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:05 am

RalucaM wrote:
paciuli wrote:Hey! It looks like running php from terminal (as you suggested) does the job! Thanks!!! :D
I guess you'll have to reset their passwords, unless the passwords were in md5 format in the snitz database (or in clear text).
so there's no way to have the original passwords converted i see... well i guess i'll come up with some smart solution (or maybe not, but who cares, i didn't even dream i could convert my database until yesterday :D )
Thanks again, really! :mrgreen:

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Ive tried to do this, desperately need to convert from snitz for a friend, tried it all locally with wamp. converted .mdb to mysql easy enough, followed all the instructions,

when I goto run the script, all the coding appears in the browser? and nothing else happens?

any ideas please?
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and will sing, when you forget the words..

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:12 pm

SpongeWeb wrote:when I goto run the script, all the coding appears in the browser? and nothing else happens?
If you see the code of the scripts, it looks like that you don't have php support on your web server.

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:28 pm

RalucaM wrote:
SpongeWeb wrote:when I goto run the script, all the coding appears in the browser? and nothing else happens?
If you see the code of the scripts, it looks like that you don't have php support on your web server.
I most certainly do, Im running phpbb3 forums on it.. Im doing this locally first, with WAMP. I installed phpbb2.22 and had the snitz data in a mysql database,

I edittted all the details in the script, browsed to it, and nothing, just code in the internet window after the script intro.

I really would appreciate help on this, I 1000% have php and mysql running correctly.

Thanks

Im running the script from the /root
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and will sing, when you forget the words..

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:52 pm

SpongeWeb wrote:
RalucaM wrote:
SpongeWeb wrote: Im running the script from the /root
Hm... if you have shell access it's better to run the scripts from command line, not through the browser. Try to run php members.php etc. I hope it works like this.

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:16 am

I can run from a command prompt on my PC?

I`ll give this a try.

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:56 am

SpongeWeb wrote:
RalucaM wrote:
I most certainly do, Im running phpbb3 forums on it.. Im doing this locally first, with WAMP. I installed phpbb2.22 and had the snitz data in a mysql database,

I edittted all the details in the script, browsed to it, and nothing, just code in the internet window after the script intro.

I really would appreciate help on this, I 1000% have php and mysql running correctly.

Thanks

Im running the script from the /root
If phpbb 2.0.22 is running fine on your local server, then you probably corrupted your file when you edited it. Use only Notepad, Wordpad or one of the free text editors like Crimson Editor or Notepad++ to edit the file. Do not use a word processor.
You want to make sure there are no characters at the beginning of the file before the <?php and no characters after the ?> at the end of the file.
Have you hugged someone today?

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:05 pm

OK. Ill take a look when I get to work tomorrow, thanks

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 am

Ive checked all of it, and all of the configuration,

I have a folder called convert at the root, with all the correct files in it, when I run the snitz2phpbb.php file I get the following in the browser window (I havent posted it all)

Code: Select all

Snitz To phpbb 2.0.21 Conversion

This script will attempt to convert and migrate your Snitz forum data into your phpbb installation. It's designed for phpbb 2.0.21 (phpbb) but should work on other versions.

Before beginning the migration you should have/meet the following pre-requisites: 

A MySQL database containing your Snitz forums 
A phpbb installation with empty forums, using a working MySQL database 
Permissions to read and write data, as well as ALTER, CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE in the phpbb database 
Your phpbb site MUST BE shutdown - if anyone changes anything in the phpbb database (eg: registers a new account etc) this script will probably DESTROY your phpbb site 
This script looks for a user called "SNITZ MIGRATION" and deletes all phpbb users with user IDs higher than it. This is an ease-of-use feature in case you have to rerun this script. 
A backup of both your Snitz and phpbb forums - this converter MODIFIES YOUR SNITZ DATABASE to fix errors 

Your phpbb installation must have no forums. If you are not sure how to do this, seek professional help! Important note: this conversion tool WILL WORK with existing phpbb users - the conversion finds the next free userid then migrates users beginning with that ID. The conversion tool also checks all Snitz users for the same username as existing phpbb users - if an identical username is found, the converter will delete the Snitz user and reassign all their posts to the phpbb user. This means you can merge Snitz and phpbb user databases. You CANNOT merge the forums for technical reasons - the phpbb forum tables must be EMPTY. When the migration is complete you will need to recheck your forum config, especially posting permissions.

This conversion will create a new table called "snitz2phpbb", or will DROP it if it already exists. If by some random fluke you use this table name already, you'd better stop right now. I pity the fool who run this script when they need that table! When the conversion is complete, this table contains a map of Snitz userid's to phpbb userid's.

Remember the license agreement: By using this script you agree not to support or participate in any activity on www.nukeforums.com, including registering for a user account or posting in the forums. This is an absolute condition of your use of this converter. If you do not agree with this condition, you must delete your migrated phpbb data and this script RIGHT NOW.

By agreeing NOT to support www.nukeforums.com you are taking a stand for acceptable behaviour the phpbb community - good manners and common decency is a basic expectation, not an added bonus. Thank you!

Want to know what that condition is all about and why you shouldn't visit nukeforums? Click here!

"; ?> 
Got that? Good! Then let's begin...

Scroll to the bottom of the page to view all results and continue to the next step.
"; } echo "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"; if(!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS["goforit"])) { echo "
Click here to begin!"; die(); } // The main conversion script begins here. Don't edit anything below // this line unless you know what you're doing. // ******************************************************************* // Utility functions // ******************************************************************* function snitz2bbcode($text, $bbcodeuid = -1, $postid = -1) { global $snitz_url, $phpbb_url; $snitzOrama = array("[:(!] ", "[^]", "[:D]", "[B)]", "[:I]", "[cat]", "[:o)]", "[8D]", "[xx(]", "[V]", "[8]", "[}:)]", "[:X]", "[?]", "[:(]", "[:O]", "[8)]", "[|)]", "[:)]", "[:P]", "[;)]"); $bbcode = array(":evil:", ":)", ":D", ":?", ":oops:", ":?:", ":mrgreen:", "8)", ":x", ":evil:", ":?:", ":twisted:", ":)", ":?:", ":(", ":shock:", ":|", ":o", ":)", ":p", ";)"); $newtext = str_replace($snitzOrama, $bbcode, $text); if($postid != -1 && !empty($snitz_url) && !empty($phpbb_url)) $newtext = str_replace($snitz_url, $phpbb_url, $newtext); if($bbcodeuid != -1) { $bbcode = array("[b:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[u:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[i:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[quote:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[code:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[img:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[url:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[/b:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[/u:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[/i:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[/quote:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[/code:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[/img:".$bbcodeuid."]", "[/url:".$bbcodeuid."]"); $snitzOrama = array("[b]", "[u]", "[i]", "[quote]", "[code]", "[img]", "[url]", "[/b]", "[/u]", "[/i]", "[/quote]", "
", "[/img]", "[/url]"); $newtext = str_replace($snitzOrama, $bbcode, $newtext); $snitzOrama = array("", "", "", "[QUOTE]", "

Code: Select all

", "[IMG]", "[URL]", "[/B]", "[/U]", "[/I]", "[/QUOTE]", "
", "[/IMG]", "[/URL]"); $newtext = str_replace($snitzOrama, $bbcode, $newtext); } return $newtext; } // MySQL error reporting function query_error($query, $extra = "") { global $snitzdb, $bbdb; echo "

MySQL query error!

Query was: ".$query."

\n"; echo "mysql_errno = ".mysql_errno()."
\n"; echo "mysql_error = ".mysql_error()."
\n"; echo "extra info = ".$extra."[/code]

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”