Snitz to phpbb

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: Snitz to phpbb

Post by D¡cky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 am

I have to disagree with RalucaM about changing the table types. I believe you will get better performance with InnoDB tables and using the Fulltext native search index which is the default for phpbB3.

If the topic posters show correctly on the list of topics in viewforum and are showing incorrectly only on the index page, resynching the forums should take care of the problem.
In the Administration Control Panel, click the Forums tab at the top. You will see a list of your categories on the right. To the right, you will see an orange double arrow. That is the resynching tool. When you click on a category name, that will bring up the list of forums for that category. You want to resynch the forums as well as the categories.
Have you hugged someone today?

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:25 am

Oops, I thought MyISAM was required... :oops:

SpongeWeb: I will look into the problem with author's threads. It seems like a bug in my scripts.

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 am

I did a full resync of the forums, no change. also realised its the 2nd poster in the thread who shows up as the author.. its ignoring the actual author and saying the first person to reply is the author?? would love to fix it..

and Dicky, on the search question I asked. I deleted the full search index and created a new one, but it just times out, board is about 90mb
thanks guys
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and will sing, when you forget the words..

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:07 pm

SpongeWeb wrote:I did a full resync of the forums, no change. also realised its the 2nd poster in the thread who shows up as the author.. its ignoring the actual author and saying the first person to reply is the author?? would love to fix it..
If you are able to rerun the conversion, wait for RalucaM to squash the bug.
SpongeWeb wrote:and Dicky, on the search question I asked. I deleted the full search index and created a new one, but it just times out, board is about 90mb
thanks guys
Timeouts do happen a lot on shared hosting. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is keep restarting the building of the search index. You should get the option to Continue the previous build.

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:04 pm

Ill do that for the search index thanks :D

as for the author problem, I cant rerun, its now live with phpbb3..

is there anything , you think I could do manually? in the phpbb3 database? I am familiar with it...
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and will sing, when you forget the words..

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 am

SpongeWeb,

You will need to identify where the problem is. The problem could be in the posts table, the topics table or the forums table. It may even be in the member's table.

Pick a topic that has the incorrect author information.
Check the tables that I have mentioned to see which one has the incorrect information. Once that is determined, then I may be able to help you.

LightBred

Post by LightBred » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:17 pm

mis-post.
*edited.

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Im afraid I dont really know which tables to look in,

should I start at topics table?

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Sorry SpongeWeb. I should be able to take a look on it by the end of next week.

SpongeWeb

Post by SpongeWeb » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Thankyou, it really would be appreciated, would also like to change the table from annodb to Isam if possible

fantasykat

Post by fantasykat » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:27 am

Hi, I hope this is correct protocol:
I have a Snitz forum with an access database that I want to convert to phpBB3. My first step was to change my Windows hosting (does not support php) at GoDaddy to Linux and I'm waiting for that change to take effect. From reading the very helpful posts in this forum, I see that I need to convert my access DB to SQL. My problem is that there are 5 years of posts to sift through here and try to piece together, and I'm not sure which of the problems I'll be encountering. Is there a post that you can point me to that explains the entire process step-by-step?
Thank you!
Kat
www.FanLit.net

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Fri May 02, 2008 1:11 am

SpongeWeb wrote:Im afraid I dont really know which tables to look in,

should I start at topics table?
SpongeWeb, I want to fix this issue. The only problem is that I couldn't reproduce the problem. I converted a forum from Snitz 3.4.05 to phpBB 2.0.23 and the topics's author seems correct. Can you point me to a topic on your forum when I can see the problem?

Thanks.

RalucaM

Post by RalucaM » Fri May 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Actually I was able to reproduce the problem. It happened after I ran the convertor to 3.0.1. I'm still looking into it.

freetn

Post by freetn » Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 am

Hi RalucaM,

have you had a chance yet to resolve this is issue?
In the last few days I've converted our 150 000+ posts snitz forum to phpbb v2, using your conversion script.
In phpbbv2 everything looked fine, and i then decided to continue conversion to phpbb v3, after which i got the 'author' problem as mentioned above.

Other issues that i noticed:
  • the 'Last post' date in the viewforum.php page displays incorrectly, it displays the datetime of the first post. Therefore, topics are in fact sorted on the day they were created and not on the last post date. I tried resyncing twice, but it didn't help. This seems to be a more problematic issue than the author problem :?
  • Collation problem. Altough both the phpbbv2 and the phpbbv3 databases have the same database collation, and in phpbbv2, having run the conversion from snitz, everything looked fine, in phpbbv3 there seems to be a few issues with é, à etc. I actually can live with this, but if anyone knows i fix it would be apprciated. :)
  • quotes are messed up in phpbbv3. I'll try to post an example below.
Anyway, thanks a ton already for the excellent convertor to phpbb2 !

Free

example of quote after conversion from snitz --> phpbbv2 --> phpbbv3

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnny</i>
<br />Dirk????75% langer, dat is bijna dubbel zo lang. Zal een misse zijn zeker?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

freetn

Post by freetn » Wed May 28, 2008 11:07 am

Ok, I discoverd the cause of the author/last post problem in phpbbv3.

If you select the posts records for a certain topic, you'll see that, in phpbb, the first record to appear is the second post of a topic. This is because in Snitz, the first post of a topic is not an entry in the posts table, but a column in the 'topic' record.
So the 2nd post is actually the post with the lowest post_id --> this poster will be considered as the 'author' in phpbbv3
The 1st post will have the highest post_id --> this poster (the creator of the topic) will be the 'last poster' (and last post date etc)

So it's actually a problem of the phpbbv2 -> phpbbv3 convertor, which assumes that the numbering of the posts can be used to sort them chronologically. They should've sorted on the post_time.

I made a .NET program that updates the necessary fields in phpbb_topics, everything is ok now. If someone needs it, i could put the code here.
Maybe someone could make a similar script in php?

Bye
Free

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”