IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Locked
K2T
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm

IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

Post by K2T » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:54 pm

hey guys,

i'm looking to convert my forum to phpbb form ipb. Ultimately i want to use phpbb3 BUT is it easier to convert phpbb 2 then just upgrade to phpbb 3??

Also are there any IPB > phpbb 2 converters flying around?

I found the ipb 2.3 > phpbb 3 converter it looked a little confusing. I'm just woundering which route would the best that all.

Also if anyone comes up with a solution can you please leave some instructions, forum convertions and phpbb are fairly new to me.

Thanks,
Cillian

ps. I hope i've posted this in the right place :S

User avatar
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Posts: 11812
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Name: Richard Foote
Contact:

Re: IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

Post by D¡cky » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Use Invision 2.1.x convertor to convert to phpBB2.

The IPB 2.3.x to phpBB3 convertor is really easy to use. Read the whole topic first and if you have any questions, post in that topic.
Have you hugged someone today?

K2T
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm

Re: IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

Post by K2T » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks I tried your convertor [ipb > phpbb2] worked a charm. There were a few problems with things;

- Usergroups did import at all - there were forum there instead [the forums imported fine]
- Forgotten Password doesn't work
- Login Problems/None of the passwords work

I've manage to get my own account working i can deal with everyones password problems i think it might be the fact that ipb password encryption is different.

I was thinking if i upgraded to phpbb3 it might fix some of these problems, but tbh i don't know.

Also i upload phpbb3 to /forum/phpbb3/ I convertor can't find my phpbb2, i've also tried uploading it too the root directory [/phpbb3/] still not working. I have no idea what do with it.

Anyways thanks a million,
Cillian

User avatar
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Posts: 11812
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Name: Richard Foote
Contact:

Re: IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

Post by D¡cky » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Usergroups were converted to forums? I don't understand how that is possible.

There are instructions included with the IPB to phpBB2 to allow the passwords to work. When you convert to phpBB3, you will have to use the instructions in this post, http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p6566735

Read this topic for tips on how to find the path to your phpB2 board, Could not find path to your former board.
Have you hugged someone today?

K2T
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm

Re: IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

Post by K2T » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:32 pm

D¡cky wrote:Usergroups were converted to forums? I don't understand how that is possible.
Yeah the name were like this "forum name users" users got added on the end of all of them. Anyways there a pain to delete i've added proper temporary groups for now. I'll add the proper ones when i upgrade to phpbb3.
D¡cky wrote:There are instructions included with the IPB to phpBB2 to allow the passwords to work.
There call converted they were in the table perfectly, but when you logged in it didn't like it. I did forgot password that didn't work either. So i create a new account create the password then pasted it in to the password fields, worked fine then. Is there any kind of password reset I could do for everyone?
D¡cky wrote:When you convert to phpBB3, you will have to use the instructions in this post, viewtopic.php?p=6566735#p6566735
Are we talking upgrade form phpbb2 > phpbb 3 or ipb > phpbb3
D¡cky wrote: Read this topic for tips on how to find the path to your phpB2 board, Could not find path to your former board.
I've talking about the built in convertor in the phpbb3 installation. Thats a different to the one i'm getting heres my error;

Code: Select all

No installation found

The phpBB Unified Convertor Framework requires a default installation of phpBB3 to function, please proceed by first installing phpBB3.
Thanks,
Cillian

User avatar
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Posts: 11812
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Name: Richard Foote
Contact:

Re: IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

Post by D¡cky » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 pm

K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote:Usergroups were converted to forums? I don't understand how that is possible.
Yeah the name were like this "forum name users" users got added on the end of all of them. Anyways there a pain to delete i've added proper temporary groups for now. I'll add the proper ones when i upgrade to phpbb3.
Oh yeah. I do remember something about funky groups being created. I thought I had that fixed.
K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote:There are instructions included with the IPB to phpBB2 to allow the passwords to work.
There call converted they were in the table perfectly, but when you logged in it didn't like it. I did forgot password that didn't work either. So i create a new account create the password then pasted it in to the password fields, worked fine then. Is there any kind of password reset I could do for everyone?
Did you follow the instructions in the login.mod file? Actually, this is irrelevant if you are going to be convertng to phpBB3.
K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote:When you convert to phpBB3, you will have to use the instructions in this post, viewtopic.php?p=6566735#p6566735
Are we talking upgrade form phpbb2 > phpbb 3 or ipb > phpbb3
This applies either way, phpbb2 > phpbb 3 or ipb > phpbb3.
K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote: Read this topic for tips on how to find the path to your phpB2 board, Could not find path to your former board.
I've talking about the built in convertor in the phpbb3 installation. Thats a different to the one i'm getting heres my error;

Code: Select all

No installation found

The phpBB Unified Convertor Framework requires a default installation of phpBB3 to function, please proceed by first installing phpBB3.
Thanks,
Cillian
You have to do exactly as the message says; install phpbB3 then you can run the convertor.
Have you hugged someone today?

K2T
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm

Re: IPB 2.3.5 > PHPBB Convertion

Post by K2T » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:36 pm

D¡cky wrote:
K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote:Usergroups were converted to forums? I don't understand how that is possible.
Yeah the name were like this "forum name users" users got added on the end of all of them. Anyways there a pain to delete i've added proper temporary groups for now. I'll add the proper ones when i upgrade to phpbb3.
Oh yeah. I do remember something about funky groups being created. I thought I had that fixed.
I'm hoping phpbb3 will fix the group problem.

D¡cky wrote:
K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote:There are instructions included with the IPB to phpBB2 to allow the passwords to work.
There call converted they were in the table perfectly, but when you logged in it didn't like it. I did forgot password that didn't work either. So i create a new account create the password then pasted it in to the password fields, worked fine then. Is there any kind of password reset I could do for everyone?
Did you follow the instructions in the login.mod file? Actually, this is irrelevant if you are going to be convertng to phpBB3.
login.mod file, i didn't see it. I might be worth doing that before converting to phpbb3
D¡cky wrote:
K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote:When you convert to phpBB3, you will have to use the instructions in this post, viewtopic.php?p=6566735#p6566735
Are we talking upgrade form phpbb2 > phpbb 3 or ipb > phpbb3
This applies either way, phpbb2 > phpbb 3 or ipb > phpbb3.
Ok Kl, i'll give that a go.
D¡cky wrote:
K2T wrote:
D¡cky wrote: Read this topic for tips on how to find the path to your phpB2 board, Could not find path to your former board.
I've talking about the built in convertor in the phpbb3 installation. Thats a different to the one i'm getting heres my error;

Code: Select all

No installation found

The phpBB Unified Convertor Framework requires a default installation of phpBB3 to function, please proceed by first installing phpBB3.
Thanks,
Cillian
You have to do exactly as the message says; install phpbB3 then you can run the convertor.
Ah, I see. Sorry i thought it would detect your phpbb2 installation and convert from there. ok kl

Thanks again Dicky,
Cillian

Locked

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”