Punbb -> phpbb2, merge and update

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
op76

Punbb -> phpbb2, merge and update

Post by op76 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:48 am

Hi, I've got this project, where I need to convert punbb to phpBB2 (fresh install). That went ok, I think. But when I'm trying to merge this fresh phpbb to an old one, there are some problems. It seems to me, that old one has some MOD's, which causes the problems. There are incorrect tables, and stuff in database, and even few missing.

So I figured to try otherwise. I chosed to put old to new, even it's a way bigger (over 120,000 posts vs. 6000). It began great, but there was this one field where it stopped (user_login_tries), which is not present in old one. This could be caused by some update, which is missing from old board, right?

So how can I update this old database, to corresponse to new? Is there some easy way to do that. I have no idea, which version of board is inside? MOD's are not important to remain. Are there some convertors, which can fix my database? What should I do?

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Punbb -> phpbb2, merge and update

Post by ric323 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 am

Every phpBB update comes with a file in "./install/update_to_latest.php" which will update the database schema to the latest version.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:44 am

Generally, what you have to do is create tables and fileds in the databases so that they pretty much match.

Read through this topic, Merging two forums. It explains what you have to do.
Have you hugged someone today?

op76

Post by op76 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:43 am

Is there an easy method, to update same database structure in both forums, and does it help me in anyway if there is still those MODs in present? Should I just manually remove everything from the old forums db? I tried that update_to_latest, but it didn,t remove those extra fields and tables. This is painful already :oops: And I should get this done til yesterday...

EDIT: It went just fine...

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”