Escaped from IF @ last! Help required getting to PhpBB3 :(

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
G0DSPEED

Re: Escaped from IF @ last! Help required getting to PhpBB3 :(

Post by G0DSPEED »

Right all the importing amd merging seems to of gone ok, I'm now onto the actual conversion process thanks to your help :)

Are there any other new scripts that need to be placed anywhere to be run for the conversion or is everything I need contained and needed in the ip2phpBB folder?? As I saw mention on another thread I've found of peoples tweaks to convert certain things that would'nt convert before?

Did'nt know if this was thelatest all singing dancing version or not :D

Update: Had the -
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\wamp\www\phpBB2\db\mysql4.php on line 118
problem but sorted it by changing the maximum_execution_time in the php.ini

Everything seems to be going ok so now looks like it will be converting to phpbb3 next - fantastic!
G0DSPEED

Post by G0DSPEED »

Edit : ignore me, all sorted

What is the situation with search, I see there is something in one of the folders of the converter package - when I use the search option in the forum I get no results - will it only be new posts that will be 'searchable'?

Cheers again

G
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

The convertors do not convert the Search Index for either IF to phpBB2 or phpBB2 to phpBB3. You will hve to do it when you convert to phpBB3 so don't worry about it on the phpBB2 board.
Have you hugged someone today?
G0DSPEED

Post by G0DSPEED »

Sorry jumped the gun and had already found the rebuild_search hack in one of the converter folders.

Well everything is now working 100% on phpbb2.

I pressume I now need to install phpbb3 on my laptop and do the conversion process on that (actually thinking about it it's the only way to do it :) )

The url for my forum might change about a few times but I pressume I will be able to change this in one of the config files to let it know where it is?

So now it's the phpbb3 install on the laptop.
G0DSPEED

Post by G0DSPEED »

Well it all seems to be there on phpbb3 now as well :)

2 errors did appear early on but they flashed past quickly and I did'nt have a chance to read them properly.

So I take it that the phpbb3 database is now the original phpbb2 database not a new one thats been created somewhere.

I've exported it as a file - now just need to know where to put it on my hosts server. The phpbb3 install is in a directory called forums on the host.

I'm obviously using cpanel and browsing round the directorys using 'file manager'
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

G0DSPEED wrote:So I take it that the phpbb3 database is now the original phpbb2 database not a new one thats been created somewhere.

I've exported it as a file - now just need to know where to put it on my hosts server. The phpbb3 install is in a directory called forums on the host.

I'm obviously using cpanel and browsing round the directorys using 'file manager'
The phpBB3 database is the same database that you created to install phpBB3. it now holds the converted phpBB2 data. There is not a new database created.

First, you will need to create a database on your host's server and assign a user.
Using phpMyAdmin, export all the tables of your local phpBB3 database
  • Install phpBB3 in the normal way using the package from the downloads page.
  • Upload your local database export file to the server.
  • Some cPanel File Managers have a feature that you can use to import the export file. If not, you can use BigDump to import the file.
When done, log in to the ACP and change the domain name, script path and cookie domain.
Have you hugged someone today?
G0DSPEED

Post by G0DSPEED »

News Update - All transfered over and everything working fine :) It's been an interesting learning experience!

A very big thankyou for your help and time Dicky, and the info on the txt editor ric :D

Excellent forum based support you lads do.

Once again thanks for everything

Cheers

G

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”