Converting from 2.0.21 to 3.0.4

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
SS03CO

Converting from 2.0.21 to 3.0.4

Post by SS03CO »

I just recently received word that I needed to upgrade from 2.0.21 to 3.0. I tried the steps once already and messed up the board and resulted in paying my host an extra $75 for the resent back up. Is there anyone out there that can help me out on this. I really need to get this going.

Thanks
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Converting from 2.0.21 to 3.0.4

Post by KevC »

Converting does not do anything to your 2x board. It is completely untouched in the process.

Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
elizdilo

Post by elizdilo »

So I click the convert tab after I uploaded 3.0 and it tells me No Installation Found and to proceed by first installing phpBB3. I then have to test again, I am not sure what to do with this:

-------------------------------------------
Files and Directories

Required - In order to function correctly phpBB needs to be able to access or write to certain files or directories. If you see “Not Found” you need to create the relevant file or directory. If you see “Unwritable” you need to change the permissions on the file or directory to allow phpBB to write to it.

cache/: Found, Unwritable

files/: Found, Unwritable

store/: Found, Unwritable

Can anyone please help??
SS03CO

Post by SS03CO »

Well, I finally converted but by a fluke. Even though I saved a back up I still lost all the work that I had done for 2.0. So now, I have started over again.

All I know is this: go to downloads. download the upgrade to 3.0x. Save it on you C drive. Extract to C drive. Go to your ftp browser. upload your files from your C drive to public/html side of ftp browser. you may want to use the tutorials for installing. It wasn't reall that easy. Like I said, it was a fluke and I was oblivious in not knowing what I was doing. One minute my forum only showed the parent log and no forum. The next, I get the convertion menu. It worked out a little reading the tutorial.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

elizdilo wrote:So I click the convert tab after I uploaded 3.0 and it tells me No Installation Found and to proceed by first installing phpBB3.
You did not read what Kevin wrote then.
You must install phpBB3 first, and THEN you can import your phpBB2 data into the phpBB3 board using the "convert" function.
I then have to test again, I am not sure what to do with this:

Files and Directories

Required - In order to function correctly phpBB needs to be able to access or write to certain files or directories. If you see “Not Found” you need to create the relevant file or directory. If you see “Unwritable” you need to change the permissions on the file or directory to allow phpBB to write to it.

cache/: Found, Unwritable

files/: Found, Unwritable

store/: Found, Unwritable
You have to do what the note says. Change the permissions on the named folders to make them writeable.
You do this using the CHMOD function in your FTP program.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
elizdilo

Post by elizdilo »

I have uploaded the phpBB3 folder and when I click on the convert tab it says I need to install. I can't install because I can't get past the first step. I have tried several times to change the permissions on the folders and it is still not working. I am changing them from 666 to 777 and they don't stay at 777 after I upload them. I am using Dreamweaver MX for the site work. I can't figure this out.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Firstly, stop using dreamweaver and use a proper FTP application like filezilla.

Secondly, are you on windows hosting or linux? If the server deal is windows you won't be able to CHMOD and you'll have to ask the hosts to do it for you. Even better, see if they can move you to linux.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

elizdilo wrote:I have uploaded the phpBB3 folder and when I click on the convert tab it says I need to install. I can't install because I can't get past the first step. I have tried several times to change the permissions on the folders and it is still not working. I am changing them from 666 to 777 and they don't stay at 777 after I upload them. I am using Dreamweaver MX for the site work. I can't figure this out.
You need to change the permissions on the folders AFTER you upload them, not before.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”