Discus 4 --> phpBB2 convertor

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
hal65

Re: Discus 4 --> phpBB2 convertor

Post by hal65 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:47 am

No, no I have all versions of your great production ;)

But simply the last one won't run on my server.

kellso

Post by kellso » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:28 pm

Hey, Markus. I was eager to find a script that would transfer my Discus info to phpBB. I like Discus better, but my site provider instituted some new folder and file permission rules which permanently incapacitated Discus. Anyway, I had the exact same problem as hal65 when using your latest script. The script you gave him, 2.1.1, would get to the posts table and run into a syntax error. I messed with it for hours, but, not being an actual programmer, couldn't figure out anything. This story doesn't end badly, though...

Based on your link, I started inserting old version requests going backward. When I hit upon a zip file, I tried it. I would either get the new error like with 2.2.3, or the old error, like with 2.1.1. I finally made it back to 2.0.1, and it did the job without a hitch! I imagine it did not bring over as much information, but I got the basics transferred, and, hopefully the logins will still work. It's a very small, inactive board, but I hated to let it go.

The migration was from Discus 4.00.10PRO to phBB 2.0.22. So, how may I send you a donation, and with high praise?

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:29 am

Hi

I'm glad my script helped you. The logins will work if you overwrite the login.php file in your installation with the one provided in the .zip file. Save away your original first!

The more you use phpBB, the more you'e going to like it. You may miss certain things in phpBB that you had in Discus Pro, but phpBB offers things that are just not possible in a static files based software like Discus, such as:
  • Localization: Users may chose the language of the user interface
  • Localized time: Users may set their timezone and see the post-time matching the place they live
  • Who is online / who browses the board
phpBB further offers (could also be developed for Discus, but hasn't been):
  • Sticky threads
  • Possibility of avatars
  • Polls / Votes
  • Signatures
  • ... and much more
Looking forward to receiving your donation. Please follow this link: http://order.kagi.com/?4NK&S&lang=en
and buy any number of donation units you like.

Thanks in advance. :D

kellso

Post by kellso » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Donation sent! Thanks.

If a fix gets made for the latest script, could you let me know? Does the migration only work for empty phpBBs? Because, if I could get a more thorough transfer, I'd be very happy. I noticed a number of posts didn't come over and that phpBB search doesn't find everything. Anyway, I'm very satisfied, but if you happen to come out with a new version... ;)

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks, I do appreciate your donation.

The script has worked numerous times on existing boards. Empty boards are recommended, because a delete can't mess up too much. Also, it has previously always indexed the posts for the search engine. Your case seems to be special in this respect. Re the not transferred posts: That could relate to inconsitent Discus files. All of it would need a deeper analysis. You can re-run the script at any time and if needed you can send me the log output onto your screen.

Markus

kellso

Post by kellso » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:52 pm

markus_freerela wrote:Thanks, I do appreciate your donation.
...That could relate to inconsistent Discus files...
Markus
You've probably hit the nail on the head. I started with Discus way back when it was freeware version 3, moved up in that to pro, then took the various upgrades to 4. Who knows? Anyway, I think most of the posts came over. Thanks again.

I may install a second "fake" forum and test the migration there...

myshortpencil

Post by myshortpencil » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:57 am

I converted my 4.10 discus board using discus_migr_201 because the current version hung in step 5 with a fatal memory error.

hal65

Post by hal65 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Hello Markus, I can't reach you via PM (them are locked in the outbox folder :evil: don't know why...), please could you send me a PM with an email address so I could forward you the access data ?

Thanks in advance

svsanchez

Post by svsanchez » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:10 pm

Hello Markus, I tried using your script to move my discus4 board to a phpBB3 new board but only got several errors. Is there a version of your great script that will work with phpBB3?

Thx!

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:48 pm

The script was written to work with phpBB2 databases only. The recommended way is a 2way conversion: 1) discus -> phpBB2, 2) phpBB2 -> phpBB3. An adaption of the conversion mechanism to directly support phpBB3 is not planned at this time, due to different reasons.

svsanchez

Post by svsanchez » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 am

Hello, this time the script started working but it only did step 1, then this is what I got:

Running Script on MySQL version 4.1.22-standard
PHP-Version=4.4.7

optimizing tables ... done!
preparing database...

Step 2 (this is a link, when I click it nothing happens!)

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Thx!

svsanchez

Post by svsanchez » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:46 am

Ok, I found a post of someone who's migration also stopped in step 2, and he said another version of your script worked for him so I downloaded it and this time it imported the users and created some of the topics but not in the way they were supposed to be created (subtopics were created as topics) and none of the messages were migrated. I was planning to make a donation after I moved everything but since I evidently won't be able to do this alone I am going to send you the $50 as soon as you tell me how to do this and where to send you my server's credentials and anything else that you need.

Thx!

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:02 am

Thx for the donation. I appreciate it! Well send me your server credentials in a private message. I wil then run the script for you. I'll delete your message as soon as my job is done. I tested all the scripts on my own server, they all run perfectly, but there may be differences in the environment, setup etc. that may cause one version to work less good than a previous one.

svsanchez

Post by svsanchez » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Hello Markus, I sent you the login details via PM a few days ago but didn't hear back from you, did you get them?

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 am

Hi,

Sorry I don't check my mailbox on a daily basis, mostly on weekends. Your forum has now been converted. Please check if all is ok.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”