Discus 4 --> phpBB2 convertor

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
svsanchez

Re: Discus 4 --> phpBB2 convertor

Post by svsanchez » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 am

Hello Markus, thx for the conversion, however there seems to be a problem: most of the subtopics appear on the main forum page as main topics!

Also, I read somewhere I had to disable the posting in my discus forum and direct people to the new forum, but how do I do this? There was a little script I think made by you too to help us do this but I can't find it!

Please help,

Thx!

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:54 pm

All ran as configured. There's a switch 'SUBFORUMS_TO_FORUMS' in the script which is set to 1 by default. Value 1 makes all discus-subforums mainforums in phpBB. This is because phpBB2 doesn't support subforums. After converting phpBB2 to phpBB3 you can then manually convert this main-forums to sub-forums (their hierarchy can be told from their name, like 'forum a :: forum b :: forum c' means forum c is a sub-forum to b which again is a a sub-forum to a).

This switch was introduced keeping the new possibilities of version 3 in mind.
If you prefer removing your sub-forums and consolidating everything under the main-forum, you have to alter the switch SUBFORUMS_TO_FORUMS to value 0 and re-run the whole script (takes a couple of hours).

The redirector script can be found under http://www.discusscripts.com/downloads/redir_discus.zip
Unzip it and upload it to an arbitrary directory (such as the "discus_conv" directory I created for you), configure 'redir_discus.php' and run it. Keep in mind you have to run the redirector after a new run of the discus importer script. Also, the discus passwords won't work in phpbb, your users will have to get a new one. As a convenience, you may overwrite the original login.php script with the one in my .zip file; this will allow the reuse of discus passwords, but only in version 2. If you migrate version 2 to 3, users will have to get a new password anyway.

svsanchez

Post by svsanchez » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Hello Markus, I tried doing what you suggested for the subtopics but the script hanged at step 5 and now all the messages from the phpbb forum are gone. Please help!

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 am

Your server is set up to display screen layout only after completion of the script! Please be patient even if a particular steps takes 1 hour or more to complete. You may re-run the script from step 5

svsanchez

Post by svsanchez » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:53 am

Hello Markus, I have been trying to get this to work but it always times out in step 5. I tried several times during the past weekend from friday to sunday, when my site has the least visits but even running step 5 at 3 AM in the morning timed out. Please help!

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:28 am

Well, it has worked before, when I converted the forum for you, hasn't it? I'll run it again when I find the time. Your page runs very slowly sometimes, even when the script isn't in use. Plus, your php version (4.1) has come out of support which doesn't make things easier either.... Maybe you should ask your host to upgrade php to version 5. Also, if not already done, you should close your Discus board, as otherwise there will be no guarantee that all messages are converted.

Anyway, I will run the script again. Please do not run anything at this time. I'll keep you informed.

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:41 am

Hi, i've converted your forum once more and it seems to be fine. Links and pictures are showing up.

Some few may have a 'text not found' message. This can be due to the fact that the old forum was not disabled which may have caused inconsistencies because a) your forum is very active and b) the script ran on different days. But there shouldn't be too many of them.

dafrancey

Post by dafrancey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 am

Hi-
I have a Discus 4 pro running on a server but I moved my site to a different host and would like to use phpbb instead there. I had no luck getting the conversion from Discus to phpbb done myself, so I'm looking for help on this - of course in return for a donation. Please let me know.

Frank.

markus_freerela

Post by markus_freerela » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:35 am

I don't like repeating myself, but, as you can see from a few posts further above, the script runs only on phpBB2 databases. You have to download and install the old version and then convert discus against phpBB2. If everything is fine, convert phpBB2 to phpBB3 and run a small SQL directly against your phpBB3 database:

1) UPDATE phpbb_posts set post_text = replace(post_text, '<', '<')

2) UPDATE phpbb_posts set post_text = replace(post_text, '>', '>')

Keep in mind you have to thoroughly test both your 2.0 and 3.0 databases before releasing them to your users, as there's no way back once you have converted.

As I feel my job has been done, I now unsubscribe from this topic.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”