[SUPPORT] UBB.classic 6.x Convertor [0.3.1]

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Graham
Former Team Member

[SUPPORT] UBB.classic 6.x Convertor [0.3.1]

Post by Graham » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:38 am

This release of the convertor is a rewrite of the existing convertor by DPK which I have carried out in order to address a number of outstanding issues in the code which it was becoming difficult to patch around.

This convertor is based on DPK's original work in some areas, and I am grateful for the work he has done.

Please use this thread for any support queries related to this new version of the convertor.

The next posts will contain download links and further information on the current state of the convertor.
Last edited by Graham on Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:19 pm

There are currently 2 versions of the UBB.classic convertor.

If you are using UBB.classic 6.x this convertor is the only available version. If you are using UBB.classic 6.0.x to 6.5.x you have a choice. If you are willing to test out new software and help me to develop this for other people or have encountered problems with the existing release, please try out this version, and let me know how you get on. If you wish to use a "stable" version of the convertor, please use version 0.2.6 available on the download page.

The main differences between the versions are as follows
  • This version supports all database types supported by phpBB, not just mySQL
  • This version does not require register_globals to be On in order to function
  • This version does not require write access to it's directory on the server in order to run
  • This version has a simplified configuration screen
  • This version includes documentation
  • The old version automatically backs up your forum before converting
  • The old version allows you to select which areas you wish to convert
(For a full list of changes please refer to changelog.html in the download)

Version 0.3.1 can be downloaded from my site
Last edited by Graham on Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database

leerch

Problem

Post by leerch » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:32 am

I'm having a problem with Version 0.3.0. I'm running UBB 6.6.2 so I need to run Version 0.3.0. I keep getting this msg.
FAILED Loading UBB.classic configuration file (vars_config.cgi)
A fatal error has occurred and the conversion process is unable to start. Please check the information above for details of the error(s), and correct them and try again.
I know I have the correct path to my UBB Variables path. Is there something I need to change? I would really like your help with this. I'm being forced to switch to phpBB because UBB using flat file.

Thanks Alot

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:01 pm

Hmmmm, I've tested it with 6.6.1 so it should work. What path are you putting in? Have you tried copying it from the relevant value in your UBB Control Panel?

leerch

Post by leerch » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:37 pm

I did copy it from my UBB control panel. Here is the path I'm using
/home/ironwor/public_html/ubb/cgi-bin

Do I need to chmod any of the file or DIR?

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:13 pm

You shouldn't need to. let me have a look at it and see if i can sort out some diagnostics to find out why it is not working. If we can't sort it out, I do have a version of the old convertor adapted for 6.6.x that I can send you, but it does suffer from a few problems since fixed.

leerch

Post by leerch » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:32 pm

Can you email me the other script and see if I can get that one to work. Thanks for your help.

Alan MB

Post by Alan MB » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:22 am

I kind of have the same problem. I keep getting this msg:

Warning: Cannot set time limit in safe mode in /home/usr/htdocs/forums/convert/conv_classic.php on line 371

Checking access to UBB.classic forum
FAILED Loading UBB.classic configuration file (vars_config.cgi)
A fatal error has occurred and the conversion process is unable to start. Please check the information above for details of the error(s), and correct them and try again.

I am sure I'm using the right path to the vars dir. This is version 0.3.0 converting Ubb.classic 6.04c (might this be the problem?), thanks.

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:19 pm

Alan, for 6.04 I would strongly recommend using the older convertor version at this time.

leerch, drop me an email to the address in the convertor documentation and I'll send you a copy.

Anyone getting that "Failed loading...." error, if you feel like helping out the debugging, can you please save the attached file as filecheck.php and run it in your browser and post the results to see if it can isolate the error.

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
	<title>Path Checking Utility</title>
</head>
<body>

<?php
if (isset($_POST['path_name']))
{
	echo 'Checking path exists.......';
	if (file_exists($_POST['path_name']))
	{
		echo 'PASSED<br />';
	}
	else
	{
		echo 'FAILED<br />';
	}
	echo 'Checking path is a directory.......';
	if (is_dir($_POST['path_name']))
	{
		echo 'PASSED<br />';
	}
	else
	{
		echo 'FAILED<br />';
	}
	echo 'Checking path is readable.......';
	if (is_readable($_POST['path_name']))
	{
		echo 'PASSED<br />';
	}
	else
	{
		echo 'FAILED<br />';
	}
	echo 'Checking vars_config.cgi is in the directory.......';
	if (file_exists($_POST['path_name'] . '/vars_config.cgi'))
	{
		echo 'PASSED<br />';
	}
	else
	{
		echo 'FAILED<br />';
	}
	echo 'Checking vars_config.cgi is readable.......';
	if (is_readable($_POST['path_name'] . '/vars_config.cgi'))
	{
		echo 'PASSED<br />';
	}
	else
	{
		echo 'FAILED<br />';
	}
	echo 'Reading vars_config.cgi.......';
	if ($vars_config = file($_POST['path_name'] . '/vars_config.cgi'))
	{
		echo 'PASSED<br />';
		echo '<p>File contents:<br /><pre>';
		for ($i=0; $i < count($vars_config); $i++)
		{
			echo $vars_config[$i];
		}
		echo '</pre></p>';
	}
	else
	{
		echo 'FAILED<br />';
	}
}
else
{
?>
<html>
<head>
	<title>Path Checking Utility</title>
</head>
<body>
	<p> Please enter the path to the Variables files in the field below and submit the form. The script will then check whether the file exists and is readable.</p>
	<form method="POST">
		<input name="path_name" />
		<input type="submit" value="Submit">
	</form>
<?php
}
?>
</body>
</html>

leerch

Post by leerch » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:57 am

The file check script all passed. You can email me the other script at webmaster@ironworker.com

bigtree

Post by bigtree » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 am

Hi, I'm getting the same results as leerch. Can't find the var_config.cgi file either. Could it be as simple as the var being located in the same directory as the cp_.cgi files?

Checking path exists.......PASSED
Checking path is a directory.......PASSED
Checking path is readable.......PASSED
Checking vars_config.cgi is in the directory.......PASSED
Checking vars_config.cgi is readable.......PASSED
Reading vars_config.cgi.......PASSED

I also tried the ubb6_to_phpbb2_0.2.5 convertor and it converted all but my forum topics. My board has 17,000 members and it went smoothly up to converting topics. It never showed any errors either. Just finished with the Moderators and stood there.

I love this board and I have just installed nuke 7.1 and wish I could import all my ubb into the nukephp. Any suggestions?

You guys rock!

Alan MB

Post by Alan MB » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:06 pm

I also tried the ubb6_to_phpbb2_0.2.5 convertor and it converted all but my forum topics. My board has 17,000 members and it went smoothly up to converting topics. It never showed any errors either. Just finished with the Moderators and stood there.

Same thing happens to me. Tried the 0.2.5 convertor and everything goes fine until the topics. My forum is not that big though, it has about 2500 users.

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:51 pm

bigtree and Alan MB, If you want to use the old convertor, 0.2.6 on the downloads page is the version to go with.

If wither of you are interested in helping me debug this version though, let me know and we can test it out. It would appear that the fact that the output you pasted did not have the contents of the file displayed that I've already isolated it to one particular function call.

bigtree

Post by bigtree » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 pm

Hi Graham, I don't know if I would be much help, not too code savy... but I'm really game to try.
I have tried 2.6 with no success either, although it did convert everything up to the topics. 2.6 stopped just after the moderators convertion took place. My forum is quit large, 17,000 members and maybe 60,000 topics.

You can PM me your addy and I will be happy to help. FWIW, I really want to move my ubb6 to nukephpbb2 . From what I'm reading I believe my first step to move ubb6 to the stand alone phpbb2 and, then port it to nuke7 right?
I wish there was a convertor that would go right from ubb6 directly to nukephpbb2, avoiding the middle jump.

looking forward to progress!

dmclark

Post by dmclark » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:15 pm

Graham,

I am sol happy you are "picking up the ball" on this one, there are a few issues that I would like added.

I just wanted to let you know that I am having the same issue w/ the script not finding vars_config.cgi even though I know my path is correct.

Thankgs,

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”