[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
idburns

Post by idburns » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:13 pm

Haven't seen any posts in this thread in over two weeks, just a friendly bump.
]

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:46 pm

I'm actually still waiting for someone who's currently experiencing the reported bugs to allow me to use a copy of their database so I can see whats going on myself. If anyone is willing, I would greatly appreciate it. I will ensure your database is secure, and will destroy the copy after I am done with it to protect any privacy issues. Please let me know.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

idburns

Post by idburns » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:00 pm

Ok, when I get a chance (probably this weekend) I will try the conversion again. If I can duplicate the problem I had earlier I'll get you a db dump.
]

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:19 am

Alright, great, I look forward to hearing from you.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

idburns

Post by idburns » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:07 pm

Sorry, I got pushed back. I went through an account upgrade with my webhost and have finally gotten all DNS issues resolved.

Now, this weekend I will try the conversion.
]

The_Real_Bonk

Post by The_Real_Bonk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:05 am

Pballer wrote: why on earth would anyone want to convert from SMF to phpBB?

Because searching is totally broken on SMF, the permissions managemant is abominable and the code is generally bloated and creates nasty serverload. They try and shirk off responsibilty for proper forum software function by saying, "oh just wait for a mod to be written to make SMF work properly..."

I've had enough. SMF is pissing me off royally. I am seriously considering converting a 400K+ post forum to phpBB so that it will work reliably.

So keep at it! I sincerly hope to see this converter come out of beta.

The_Real_Bonk

Post by The_Real_Bonk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:33 am

After reading through some of the problems encountered in this thread you may want to note that phpBB defaults to prune old posts, this must be disabled if you want an imported db to remain intact.

Also note that the update script for phpBB sets php's max execution time to 120 seconds. If you want to update a large database you must edit phpBB's "update to latest" script so that it does not auto abort its own update process... this is a very confusing behaviour and phpBB will not change it, they believe it is not a bug. It is a bug - a bad one. This does not really affect your converter but if users convert a large smf database to phpBB they will need to know this for future phpBB updates to save a lot of grief.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:57 am

idburns, if you can get me that dump early tomorrow, I may have a chance to look at this monday, otherwise I wont be able to do anything with it until after the 23rd.

aldi

Post by aldi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:02 pm

does it still not convert attachments?

i got a forum that has over 1000 users and has about 2gigs of attachments i would like to convert as well! i feel im stuck with smf was worst thing i have done is go away from phpbb! :evil:

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:14 pm

Since a vanilla copy of phpBB does not contain an attachments system, there would be no way of converting them other than to assume the user has already installed the attachments mod, which I cannot do. Therefore its up to the administrator to transfer everything over themselves.

aldi

Post by aldi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:18 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: Since a vanilla copy of phpBB does not contain an attachments system, there would be no way of converting them other than to assume the user has already installed the attachments mod, which I cannot do. Therefore its up to the administrator to transfer everything over themselves.

how would i be able to transfer every thing over myself? would this just be moving the attchments into the phpbb atchments folder?

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Well, first you'd have to complete the conversion, then install the Attachments MOD. Then, you'd have to copy all the files from the smf attachment folder into the newly created phpBB folder. Finally, and this is the most tedious step of all, go through each post that contains an attachment and basically reattach it (just through sql, not actually reuploading the file).

aldi

Post by aldi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:42 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: Well, first you'd have to complete the conversion, then install the Attachments MOD. Then, you'd have to copy all the files from the smf attachment folder into the newly created phpBB folder. Finally, and this is the most tedious step of all, go through each post that contains an attachment and basically reattach it (just through sql, not actually reuploading the file).

sounds like it would take a long time as nearly every post has an attchment lol but thanks for your help!

Mike_PL

Post by Mike_PL » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:03 pm

How do to use this? I have in main brochure SMF, and phpBB in brochure / phpBB /. Where I have to throw in converter_smf.php? What do to edit in him? I ask about help.

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:38 am

You need to create a convert folder in your phpBB directory. Don't forget that you need to get the common UCS package from the Downloads page.

If your setup is like

MainDirectory/smf
MainDirectory/phpbb2

Then create the convertor folder like so:

MainDirectory/phpbb2/convert

Upload convert_smf.php and the Common UCS package into the convert folder.
To run the convertor, point your browser to MainDirectory/phpbb2/convert/index.php
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”