[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
wobo

Post by wobo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:11 am

SlapShot434 wrote: The main reason my version resets all passwords is because there is no possible way to convert smf passwords to phpbb passwords. Therefore, in order to make things as simple as possible, all passwords (except for the main user who's password is set by the person installing the converter) are reset, allowing the new users to assign their own passwords without the person installing the converter having to edit phpbb code.

Forgive me if I don't understand this right:
This means, once the switch to the new forum is made all users have to login without password, go to their profile and punch in a new password? or do they have to login with a new password and that's it? What if an unregistered user does this?

With a forum with >1K registered users whis is going to be a mess for weeks....

wobo

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:51 am

wobo wrote: Forgive me if I don't understand this right:
This means, once the switch to the new forum is made all users have to login without password, go to their profile and punch in a new password? or do they have to login with a new password and that's it? What if an unregistered user does this?

With a forum with >1K registered users whis is going to be a mess for weeks....

wobo

What it means is, the members of the smf forum will have to use the "I forgot my password" link to reset their password on the phpBB forum.
People registering on the phpBB forum for the first time will not have a problem.
Have you hugged someone today?

wobo

Post by wobo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:19 am

D¡cky wrote: What it means is, the members of the smf forum will have to use the "I forgot my password" link to reset their password on the phpBB forum.
People registering on the phpBB forum for the first time will not have a problem.

Ah, that's ok, convenient enough.

I'll have to convert a SMF 1.1RC2 forum with >1,000 users and >110,000 postings. What do you think, will the converter be able to handle this? Or is there some update of the converter scheduled in the near future (aka this year) which will improve the odds?

wobo

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:48 pm

wobo wrote: I'll have to convert a SMF 1.1RC2 forum with >1,000 users and >110,000 postings. What do you think, will the converter be able to handle this? Or is there some update of the converter scheduled in the near future (aka this year) which will improve the odds?

wobo

This convertor won't do SMF 1.1RC2. Use this one, smf 1.1 RC2 convertor

wobo

Post by wobo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Oh, sorry, but I searched and all I could find for SMF via search function in the converter board was this thread here.

Is there some discussion anywhere about the SMF1.1RC2 converter? Or some kind of Errata or announcement? I did not find any. I just want to know if there is any chance to convert my forum to phpBB

I'll d'l the converter and have a look. If I have questions I'll open a new thread. Thx for the info.

wobo

Duality

Post by Duality » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:53 am

I would also like help with this issue. It also seems that the UCS files are non-existant. Can someone please point me into the direction to where they would be?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Duality wrote: I would also like help with this issue. It also seems that the UCS files are non-existant. Can someone please point me into the direction to where they would be?

UCS files are on the Downloads page

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Mon May 01, 2006 3:23 pm

How is this going?

My forums roughly a year old, its run on SMF, and have:
Total Topics: 1621
Total Posts: 19016

the stuff we want to do with the board is probably easier to achieve than in SMF as its a pain in the backside to install mods on.

(view board here. )

Can someone please list all the problems its faced thus far for me as reading through all those pages Ive probably forgotten some.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Wed May 03, 2006 5:50 am

At this point, as long as your forum is running on 1.0.6, there shouldnt be any problems. However, as with any beta version script, you should always thouroughly test it out on your own board BEFORE making it public, and especially before making any changes to your original forum. I suggest attempting the conversion for yourself. If any problems arise, please do post them here so I can fix it to the best of my ability.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Sat May 06, 2006 8:37 am

ah, I'm running SMF1.1

realix

Post by realix » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:13 am

ive problems coverting my smf 1.0.7 to phpbb.
i've tried with both this and the converter for 1.1x but got the same errors.
it prompted me for the sql prefix, which ive entered. i check frm phpmyadmin and entered it as smf_, but still get the same results.

can anyone help?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:17 pm

realix wrote: ive problems coverting my smf 1.0.7 to phpbb.
i've tried with both this and the converter for 1.1x but got the same errors.
it prompted me for the sql prefix, which ive entered. i check frm phpmyadmin and entered it as smf_, but still get the same results.

can anyone help?

Do you have the phpBB tables and smf tables in the same database?

Can you show me a couple of the smf table names?

realix

Post by realix » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:07 am

i think i understood wat i missed out from ur reply.
i try again and let ya know again. thks.

realix

Post by realix » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:49 am

woo~ i've got it.
thanks for your enlightenment Dicky, lols.

i've another qns.
my orginal smf board is installed onto the root dir, ie, that we enter a www.myurl.com, it would bring us to the board directly. but this coverted phpbb board is installed onto a new folder say /phpbb, how do i do the same thing for my phpbb? im using cpanel for this installation.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:01 pm

realix wrote: i've another qns.
my orginal smf board is installed onto the root dir, ie, that we enter a www.myurl.com, it would bring us to the board directly. but this coverted phpbb board is installed onto a new folder say /phpbb, how do i do the same thing for my phpbb? im using cpanel for this installation.

The easiest way is to remove the smf files and move the phpBB files from the /phpbb/ directory to the root directory. After the move, you will need to change the script_path in the phpbb_config table.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”