[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
realix

Post by realix » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:38 pm

just manual shifting wont crash the config and other stuff?

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:58 pm

As long as you stay with the same database and domain name, you only need to change the script path. Use phpMyAdmin and change the path from /phpbb/ to /
Have you hugged someone today?

realix

Post by realix » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:47 am

say if i do a fresh install at the root dir, would it crash with smf which is also at the root dir?

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:27 am

Hi everyone! I know many of you have had problems recently. Sadly, I've neither had the time or resources to check up with the forum and respond, and I apologize for my absence.

Unfortunately, this will only continue for at least the next month, as I will have no computer or internet as I will be in the middle of the Israeli desert (sounds like fun eh?). My only saving grace will be a nice little cell phone with rates higher than the price of gas!

For those who frequent this topic, please understand that I will not be able to respond, and I ask that you relay that message should a new user wonder why I'm "ignoring them".

Dicky, you have done a phenomenal job keeping control of this topic in my absence, and I want to personally thank you for that. If you could continue while I'm gone, I would appreciate it so much.

Once again, for those who dont wish to read the above:
I will be out of town and can't respond until at least Mid-July, so please keep that in mind when posting questions or problems.

-Slapshot
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:47 pm

Slapshot, I wish you the best of luck while you are in the desert. Hope to see you back here soon.
realix wrote: say if i do a fresh install at the root dir, would it crash with smf which is also at the root dir?

The root directory is (http://www.domain.tld. (http://www.domain.tld/forum/ is a sub-directory.

You can't have two forums in the same directory. The files from one will overwrite the other. There is no need to do a fresh install of phpbb. Then you will have the problem of exporting and importing the database. Just move the files and change the script path. If you want to keep smf, do the same with that, move the file to a subdirectory and change the path settings.

slimandslam

Missing posts after SMF 1.07 to PHPBB 2.0.17 upgrade

Post by slimandslam » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:43 am

I installed a fresh PHPBB 2.017 and converted my SMF 1.07
forums. The conversion ran perfectly. However, the new PHPBB
forums are missing a lot of posts.

For example, one PHPBB
forum says it has 51 topics and 241 posts (which matches the
original SMF forum), but when
I click on the forum, only seven topics are displayed -- far less
than advertised.
However, when I use phpmyadmin to look at the database, it
appears that all the missing posts are in there.

Any idea what's going on?

J :?:

slimandslam

Re: Missing posts after SMF 1.07 to PHPBB 2.0.17 upgrade

Post by slimandslam » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:00 am

slimandslam wrote: For example, one PHPBB
than advertised.

Ok. I figured it out. In my SMF forums, I let un-registered users (anonymous users) post topics. So, all the missing topics were started by un-registered users. Is there any way to get those topics to appear? The postings do appear to be in the PHPBB database, but they don't show up.

J

slimandslam

Post by slimandslam » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:15 am

slimandslam wrote:
slimandslam wrote: For example, one PHPBB
than advertised.

Ok. I figured it out. In my SMF forums, I let un-registered users (anonymous users) post topics. So, all the missing topics were started by un-registered users. Is there any way to get those topics to appear? The postings do appear to be in the PHPBB database, but they don't show up.

Looking at the database again, it appears that the conversion script gave all the topic postings made by guests a topic_poster value of "1", but the anonymous user has user_id "-1". Could that be the problem? I'm not sure if I got that right -- can someone clarify what's going on here? I need to get the anonymous postings to show up.

J

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:45 pm

slimandslam wrote: Ok. I figured it out. In my SMF forums, I let un-registered users (anonymous users) post topics. So, all the missing topics were started by un-registered users. Is there any way to get those topics to appear? The postings do appear to be in the PHPBB database, but they don't show up.

Looking at the database again, it appears that the conversion script gave all the topic postings made by guests a topic_poster value of "1", but the anonymous user has user_id "-1". Could that be the problem? I'm not sure if I got that right -- can someone clarify what's going on here? I need to get the anonymous postings to show up.

You are correct. Each post needs to have a valid user_id to be visible. Run these two queries in phpMyAdmin. You need to do the posts table and the topics table.

Code: Select all

UPDATE `phpbb_posts` SET `poster_id` = '-1' WHERE `poster_id` = 1;

UPDATE `phpbb_topics` SET `topic_poster` = '-1' WHERE `topic_poster` = 1;

slimandslam

Post by slimandslam » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:18 pm

Thanks!

J

Blick

Post by Blick » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:46 pm

thanks

ComposerRyan

Post by ComposerRyan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Hey,

I have a question. You mention that user passwords must be changed...if that's the case, than how do users login to the new converted forum then if the passwords are changed?

Also, is this now stable enough to go ahead and use for a live site?
The current version does NOT convert the following:

* users' passwords. Passwords will be changed.
* word censors
* host bans
* Attachments
* Logs
* Calenders
* Rank images
* Any permissions other than guests
* user moderators

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:23 pm

The convertor is stable enough to use on a live site.

The users will have to use the "I forgot my password" link to reset their passwords.

Merri

Post by Merri » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:01 am

I've made a test conversion for one of my forums. Unfortunatenaly it didn't pass without a problem. I first got an error with move of usergroups, which I somewhat solved. In /convert/index.php I did this:

FIND:
				if ($skip_rows > 0)
				{
					$sql .= "\nLIMIT $skip_rows, -1";
				}

REPLACE WITH:
				if ($skip_rows > 0)
				{
					$sql .= "\nLIMIT $skip_rows, 18446744073709551615";
				}
And it allowed the process to pass. I don't know why there is -1 in the first place, because according to MySQL manual it is illegal to give a negative values for LIMIT.

My current problems are:
  • Quotes didn't convert properly
  • There are missing messages in long topics
  • Avatars and smilies didn't convert (should they?)
  • Every user's dateformat is missing (which I can fix myself though)

Original forum: http://www.mozilla.fi/keskustelu/
Converted forum: http://www.mozilla.fi/phpbb/ (note: I'll convert the database to UTF-8 )

I'm not in a hurry with this conversion, but if anyone knows what might be wrong before SlapShot434 gets back, it'd be great :)

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:56 am

@ Merri

I believe that the LIMIT -1 is a valid command, but I can't find the documentation for it at the moment. Anyway, that is irrelevant. I know it has caused problems in the past and I am gada you found a fix for it.

Quotes didn't convert properly
smf has about 4 different ways of doing quotes. It is difficult to get all the different methods to parse correctly

There are missing messages in long topics
I don't have an answer for this. The number of messages in a topic should not make a difference. Maybe there is something in the message that is causing it not to convert?

Avatars and smilies didn't convert (should they?)
According to the documentation, they should convert, but I have not tested this personally.

Every user's dateformat is missing
Check your smf_members table to see if they have entered their timeformat. I just noticed that the convertor converts the smf timeformat if they have entered one. What it should do is enter the phpbb default date format if the user has not entered a timeformat.

The only suggestion I can make at this time, is to try my smf convertor. I have done some work on converting the quotes and I will work on fixing the date format.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”