[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
SlapShot434

[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

Post by SlapShot434 »

This is the new "headquarters" for the SMF->phpBB converter. Downloads for the beta converter will be linked in here, as will any support until the converter is completed.

The converter runs off of the UCS platform. The UCS files will need to be downloaded and installed before conversion can be accomplished. You can find the UCS files at http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php#converters

The current version does NOT convert the following:
  • users' passwords. Passwords will be changed.
  • word censors
  • host bans
  • Attachments
  • Logs
  • Calenders
  • Rank images
  • Any permissions other than guests
  • user moderators
WARNING: This is a BETA version, and as such is likely to contain bugs that could cause major problems. Please do NOT use in a live environment. I do NOT recommend informing your members about the newly converted phpbb forum, as changes to the converter may be released often, requiring you to reconvert, erasing any changes you've made.

Version: 1.0 Beta 5.1

Download: convert_smf.zip

Latest Update:
[10/03/05] Beta Version 5.1 Released: Fixes the linebreak conversion issue

[9/03/05] New Beta Version 5: Should fix the unclosed quote tag errors, though this has not been tested yet

[8/19/05] New Beta Version 4: Should correct errors with the user tables for moderators.
This version no longer converts user moderators, as this was causing problems with certain boards.

[7/20/05] New Beta Version 3: Should fix Group moderator errors

[7/15/05] New Beta Version 2: simplifies the manner in which auths are created
Post-count-specific groups are now convertered into ranks only
Beta 2 code released

[7/13/05] Smilies and Avatars now correctly transfer.
Time formats now convert from strftime()-syntax to date()-syntax.

[7/12/05] I've successfully configured moderators and groups with moderation abilities! I'll probably be able to release the first beta version by Thursday.
Last edited by SlapShot434 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:02 am, edited 16 times in total.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.
Smittymator

beta testing

Post by Smittymator »

I'd be happy to help you with it. My forum only has about 60 posts or so, if I happen to lose them, oh well. But I gladly welcome the chance to help you help these people:)

Sincerely,

Smitty
Need help with your computer or website? Want to help others? Ask me for details! The help I offer is always free, btw.
SlAiD

Post by SlAiD »

Hi,

Can you give us a date to make this beta oficial and put a link to download?

Thank you.
SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 »

As soon as I receive information that at least two of the people who have volunteered as beta testers have successfully converted their forums, i will release the code to the public. I just dont want to be responsible for an inexperienced user thinking that the beta code is 100% working, and have them delete their entire smf database, only to realize that the converter had a bug which destroyed everything in the phpbb database as well.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.
xziyangx

Post by xziyangx »

im willing to test =D
nunofox

smf converter

Post by nunofox »

willing to test
SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 »

In the interest of getting more beta testers and increasing the chances of finding errors, I have released version 1.0 Beta 2 to the public. Please check back here often for new updates.
ozzyozzyozzy

Post by ozzyozzyozzy »

Excuse me for seeming kind of ignorant but where do we place the file once we've downloaded it?

Also, thanks a lot for making this converter, SMF is really getting annoying and there are hardly any cool MODS for it.
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

Install the UCS* code (found on the download page) and then place this file within the convert folder (if my memory of UCS is correct)

UCS = Unified Convertor System, a common framework for convertors to phpBB
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 »

I added a small link to the downloads page on the original post.
ozzyozzyozzy

Post by ozzyozzyozzy »

Wow

SlapShot, great job with this.
So far everythings working great except some of the usergroups. I hope eventually you find a way to convert the passwords. Good work and thanks a bunch!

:D
xziyangx

Post by xziyangx »

if can convert those pass it will be great xD
SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 »

Sorry guys, but that's simply not going to happen. The smf passwords are salted (the username is randomly added to the password itself), and then hashed using md5, a one-way encryption. There is simply no way to just unhash the password.
Proud

Post by Proud »

Well if the passwords are the only hang up than I know I'm certainly not going to complain. At this point the fact that I can get away from SMF is so wonderful...I'm starting to feel like I'm trapped with them lol, sorta like Hansel and Gretel in the oven 8O
ozzyozzyozzy

Post by ozzyozzyozzy »

I dont know if you're aware of this or not but there's a problem with the usergroups. For some reason when I click the usergroups button I get a SQL error. Could be just a problem with my own forum though. Anyone else try the conversion and get this problem?

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”