[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
kerux

Post by kerux »

SlapShot434 wrote: First off, when you install the blank phpbb forum, be sure to use the same database as the smf forum.

Ok, my question is this, how do I install them on the same database?

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

kerux wrote: Ok, my question is this, how do I install them on the same database?

When you are installing phpBB and it asks for the database name, enter the name of the smf database.
Have you hugged someone today?

Darkheald

Post by Darkheald »

Darkheald wrote: cuando pongo el convert_smf en la carpeta /smf me sale en blanco.

www.ly.../smf/convert_smf

Here

Help :cry:

kerux

Post by kerux »

D¡cky wrote:
kerux wrote:Ok, my question is this, how do I install them on the same database?

When you are installing phpBB and it asks for the database name, enter the name of the smf database.

I use fantastico to install both these forums, how can I get around the whole directory issue when trying to install phpbb in the same directory as smf?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

You don't install in the same directory. A directory is where the files are. A database is where the database is stored.

After you copy the phpBB files to the server, you need to install phpBB. The first thing it asks you, is type of database, database user name and password.

If you have already imported the smf backup into a database, you enter that database name when installing phpBB.
Or you can install phpBB first and then import the smf backup into the same database that you installed phpBB into. As long as you end u with smf and phpBB in the same database, it does not matter which order you do it in.

Darkheald

Post by Darkheald »

when me put convert_smf in the folder /smf it was in white :

www.lyron.gratishost.com/smf/convert_smf.php

kerux

Post by kerux »

D¡cky wrote: You don't install in the same directory. A directory is where the files are. A database is where the database is stored.

After you copy the phpBB files to the server, you need to install phpBB. The first thing it asks you, is type of database, database user name and password.

If you have already imported the smf backup into a database, you enter that database name when installing phpBB.
Or you can install phpBB first and then import the smf backup into the same database that you installed phpBB into. As long as you end u with smf and phpBB in the same database, it does not matter which order you do it in.

Ok, I made a backup of smf, now, do I ftp it into the database? Which folder would the database be in?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

The database is not in a folder. It is separate from your forum files. Your database is not accessed with ftp. Generally you access your database with phpMyAdmin. Check with your web host if you don't know how to access your database.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 »

Sorry everyone, i spent most of the day manning a Hurricane Katrina Disaster relief drop-off point (I live in Houston, TX). I'll get to these errors tomorrow afternoon. Until then, please be patient, as I have many important tasks to complete before I can look through your posts.

Thanks for understanding,
Matt
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

kerux

Post by kerux »

Cool, I figured it out. Thanks for all your help with this.

Darkheald

Post by Darkheald »

Darkheald wrote: when me put convert_smf in the folder /smf it was in white :

www.lyron.gratishost.com/smf/convert_smf.php

Darkheald

Post by Darkheald »

What I have to do?

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 »

whoa, dont use the tpl file, thats a template file. You need to go to the /convert/index.php and enter the information from there.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

HuanManwe
Location: Málaga (Spain) [European Union] - Earth - Solar System - Milky Way - Local Group - Universe

Post by HuanManwe »

Could anyone be so kind to make a tutorial to explain how to convert SMF to phpBB2? I've seen comments on downloading a file that can't be downloaded now (here) and uploading files to the database instead of to the ftp of my smf forum or phpBB forum, but I can't find it out.

A tutorial or at least explain step by step what to do. I'd apreciate it!

Thanks in advance.
Moderator in the Spanish Official Support Forum and Translator of the Spanish language pack with the help of www.phpbb-es.com | Ayuda en español.
Berlin wird immer in meinem Herzen sein :) Auf wiedersehen, Berlin!
Der Mensch schuf Gott nach seinem eigenen Bild

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

HuanManwe wrote: A tutorial or at least explain step by step what to do. I'd apreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

There are instructions included with the files you need to get, so I will be brief here.
Generally it is best to do the conversion locally, but not necessary. You can use a program like EasyPHP to install a server on your computer.
  1. Install phpBB.
  2. Import the smf database backup into the phpBB database
  3. Get the UCS convertor which is on the Downloads page, http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php#converters
  4. Unzip to your harddrive to where you installed phpBB, maintaining the directory structure. There will be a folder created in phpBB named convert.
  5. Get the smf convertor which is in the first post of this topic, http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=306321
  6. Unzip conv_smf.php into the convert folder which was created by the UCS convertor.
  7. Open conv_smf.php for editing. There is information that needs to be entered. I also strongly recommend that you read the ReadMe.txt that is included with the UCS convertor.
  8. Point your browser to the convert/index.php file
  9. Fill in the required information.
  10. Click Convert
Last edited by D¡cky on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”