[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Proud

Post by Proud » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:06 am

I have tried it several times and it just keeps giving me the one file. If you could post that link I would appreciate it very much.

CAPZkilla

Post by CAPZkilla » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:20 am

Pballer wrote: why on earth would anyone want to convert from SMF to phpBB?
why on earth would someone who is wondering about that even bother to post it in a smf to phpbb converter topic?

The reason people want to convert from smf to phpbb are different for everybody, some like the easy usage of phpbb better, some like the big community behind it, with MODs, themes and support better, some just have a thing against smf. me, i'm all 3 of those

Proud wrote: I have tried it several times and it just keeps giving me the one file. If you could post that link I would appreciate it very much.

you can find both needed downloads for this converter here
- link removed 'till further notice -

i would like to point out that i am providing a mirror here, and in no way have i modified, repacked, or in any other way altered the files originally provided from phpbb.com.
I still recommend doing a virus scan on the downloaded files, you can never be too sure :wink:

this should enable you to download it Proud

edit: SlapShot434, we've started a new page, so to make sure you see my post about the conversion, here is a quick link :wink:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=41

i also checked out Pablasso's posts and forum, and it seems we have the exact same problem, since only the admin is registered, only his posts and topics are showing up
Last edited by CAPZkilla on Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
- [ Someone.Inc ] -

Proud

Post by Proud » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:24 am

Thank you very much capzilla, I appreciate this very much, and I will definately do a virus scan, if there's anything I have learned from my friends who are computer tech's and web designers it is that. I really appreciate you posting this for me. I'm sure that Slapshot is being run off his feet at this point.

Proud

Post by Proud » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:14 am

SlapShot434 wrote:
ozzyozzyozzy wrote:I dont know if you're aware of this or not but there's a problem with the usergroups. For some reason when I click the usergroups button I get a SQL error. Could be just a problem with my own forum though. Anyone else try the conversion and get this problem?

can you post the error?

I am getting the same error, when I attempted to use the link that was there it wasn't working so Capzilla sent it to me, is there anything I can do to fix this error?

Error getting user list for group

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY u.username' at line 7

SELECT u.username, u.user_id, u.user_viewemail, u.user_posts, u.user_regdate, u.user_from, u.user_website, u.user_email, u.user_icq, u.user_aim, u.user_yim, u.user_msnm, ug.user_pending FROM phpbb_users u, phpbb_user_group ug WHERE ug.group_id = 265 AND u.user_id = ug.user_id AND ug.user_pending = 0 AND ug.user_id <> ORDER BY u.username

Line : 786
File : groupcp.php

Also, I know that there is no way to convert the passwords, but is there an easy way to change them, like a mass change and then have people reset them if we send out a mass email? We have over 200 members and to change them all manually is going to take a really long time. I suppose though we could just send out a mass email and tell them to click on the "I forgot my password" link and they'll get a new one that way. But if there is some way to change them all to password and have everyone just change it that would be SUPER.

idburns

Post by idburns » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:43 pm

Pballer wrote: why on earth would anyone want to convert from SMF to phpBB?

why on earth would anyone not interested in a topic bother to post?

To be honest, I find smf rather clunky, the admin tools are overly complicated as is the user interface. I wish I had never moved from phpBB to SMF in he first place.
]

Proud

Post by Proud » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:01 pm

I'm part of four person admin team on a site that is in the midst of converting from SMF to phpBB, during the conversion I realized that there are some SQL files for SMF that are larger than the entire database I have for a Nuke site I also run.....that seems a bit overboard for me that one file for a rorum is larger than an entire database for a site. SMF has some cool features but they're certainly not cool enough for how large it is and how non user friendly the admin is.

Pablasso

Post by Pablasso » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:11 pm

cuz i need something quick and simple, dont need many features, just to do admin things fast

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:49 pm

CAP, give me a day or two to look over your problem, I've been terribly busy dealing with a MAJOR issue at my school, and have been on the phone tirelessly for quite some time.

Also, everyone please try to act like gentlemen (and ladies, of course) in this topic. I will not have my work locked up because some ignorant person wishes to pick a fight, move it to the PM's.

I will try as hard as I can to get this all straightened out, but I request that you have some patience, as my education comes before any bug fixing.

In the meantime, I have removed the download link from the original post, and have unlinked the file itself. If you all could do me a huge favor and refrain from posting in this topic so i can deal with these errors without getting sidetracked with new posts.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

idburns

Post by idburns » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:07 pm

Once my host duplicates my live database for me I'll try the converter on the test version. Thanks for the work on this.
]

CAPZkilla

Post by CAPZkilla » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:48 am

SlapShot434 wrote: CAP, give me a day or two to look over your problem, I've been terribly busy dealing with a MAJOR issue at my school, and have been on the phone tirelessly for quite some time.

Also, everyone please try to act like gentlemen (and ladies, of course) in this topic. I will not have my work locked up because some ignorant person wishes to pick a fight, move it to the PM's.

I will try as hard as I can to get this all straightened out, but I request that you have some patience, as my education comes before any bug fixing.

In the meantime, I have removed the download link from the original post, and have unlinked the file itself. If you all could do me a huge favor and refrain from posting in this topic so i can deal with these errors without getting sidetracked with new posts.
Ok, school goes first. I also removed the link to my server, because that could still have people download it, and start asking questions. Take all the time you need, good luck with the school thing
- [ Someone.Inc ] -

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:00 am

Good news everyone, I was successfully able to convert Pablasso's forum, and am now trying to figure out why a certain sql command was not correctly collecting the members data. Please hang tight while I do as much debugging as possible to not only find a way around the problem, but to figure out exactly why it happened in the first place.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

CAPZkilla

Post by CAPZkilla » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:12 pm

great, cant wait to try it myself

edit:yeah!! it works! cool 8)

just a note to the users of this converter tho:
if you used to have sub forums in your smf, you should add the subforum mod to phpbb or you wont be able to see those
- [ Someone.Inc ] -

Proud

Post by Proud » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:23 pm

School of course comes first. You've done some awesome work on this Slapshot, and I'd like to thank you.

I have a question that doesn't need to be answered right now, but I just updated my nuke to 7.7 and there is a file in there "convert_SMF.php" does that convert SMF to nuke or do I still have to convert from smf to phpbb then to nuke?

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:25 pm

whoa, my converter is NOT made for php nuke, that may be part of your problem. My converter converts smf to plain phpbb, and thats all its made for

Proud

Post by Proud » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:38 pm

no I haven't tried to convert it to nuke....I'm going to convert from SMF to PHPBB then to nuke

I just wanted to know, since it was in the new release of Nuke if you had eliminated one step

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”