[BETA] SMF 1.0.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
idburns

Post by idburns » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:42 am

Can I get a link to the converter to test with? I have a smf database ready to go.
]

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:08 pm

Not at the moment, I'm not re-releasing the code until some major errors are fixed, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

DoW Kid Rock

Post by DoW Kid Rock » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:47 pm

I first of all want to thank you for making this. Now I am a big supporter of SMF, but with my team wanting to use phpnuke (I do too don't get me wrong) I am in need of switching the main forum.

Just thought I would post that for the person that was asking why anyone would want to switch. I don't personally want to switch, but because I have to I am glad it is phpbb

and just FYI Proud is one of my admin team that I wouldn't know what to do without

CAPZkilla

Post by CAPZkilla » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:19 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: not sure whats going on, did you use the script i sent you?
yes i did, it worked perfectly, apart from the things i reported in my last post, i now have everything working it seems, all the data is at my phpBB, posts, users, topics, almost everything, all i had to do afterwards was delete the extra usergroups
Last edited by CAPZkilla on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- [ Someone.Inc ] -

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:21 pm

Good to hear.

Just to update everyone, I am still awaiting word from one beta tester who is going to try both versions of the converter, and hopefully that will prove what the problem is behind the empty user tables. I will then release the converters for futher public testing.
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.

idburns

Post by idburns » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:57 pm

SlapShot434 wrote: Good to hear.

Just to update everyone, I am still awaiting word from one beta tester who is going to try both versions of the converter, and hopefully that will prove what the problem is behind the empty user tables. I will then release the converters for futher public testing.

Awesome, can't wait!
]

CAPZkilla

Post by CAPZkilla » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:54 pm

im having an issue, and it must be caused by the converted database since im running a clean phpbb install now, with no MODs
when i turn the board emailing system off, and users have the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option on, they get
sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php
with email system on, and "Notify me when a reply is posted" option off, they also get the same error when posting in certain topics in the board, this only seems to be happening in catagories i've added after the conversion and have forums from the old smf database in them.

Even though this, to me looks like an error created by a MOD, since i have no, it must be the converted database.. cant wait for my new php & mysql book :P then i'll finally understand how all of this works :o

Also, there is no need to look into the "isn't converting in a non "phpBB2" dir" issue, since it doesnt seem to happen anymore. I've downloaded the phpbb install again and it's gone, so that was most likely caused by a slightly corrupted phpbb install.
Last edited by CAPZkilla on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- [ Someone.Inc ] -

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:00 pm

This is neither a bug, nor a MOD - it is an issue caused by your mail settings. Try opening a topic in support on it
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:18 am

Let us take a look at the beta please. Im starting to belive that there is no converter or for some wierd reason you wont let us help you.

DoW Kid Rock

Post by DoW Kid Rock » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:59 pm

xdarkday wrote: Let us take a look at the beta please. Im starting to belive that there is no converter or for some wierd reason you wont let us help you.

I know there is a beta and at this point only a few beta testers are required, so it doesn't overload the programmer of the conversion tool

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:50 pm

The point of a BETA version of a program is to allow people to try it out and look for problems. I allowed this to go on for a number of weeks, and in that time collected a large amount of bug reports. I am now in the process of fixing these problems. Please understand that I started school again this week, so I am quite busy, and working on the converter cannot be a priority to me. I ask that you be patient as I do my best to figure out what the problem is.

CAPZkilla

Post by CAPZkilla » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:24 pm

xdarkday wrote: Let us take a look at the beta please. Im starting to belive that there is no converter or for some wierd reason you wont let us help you.
i have the converter, so that proves it exists, however there are a few things that just dont work like they should. And i dont think he needs more testers, having too many will make the debugging process chaotic.

At this point,i can tell you that, even though you would like to use it, it's best not to. You cannot use this on a live board in the state which it's in.

As SlapShot posted, alot of work has to be done to make sure nobody ends up with a malfunctioning board. Just stick around and wait for a proper release, one thing is for sure, a properly functioning smf to phpbb converter is in the works, and it will be done, when it's done
- [ Someone.Inc ] -

killerbob

Post by killerbob » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:20 pm

Beta means testing... something a lot of SW vendors don't understand. No, I don't have a copy of what he's working on, but I do know from experience that it can be a royal pain in the arse to try to troubleshoot something.

You could try rolling your own. I might have something you could try if all you care about is posts/userprefs (and don't mind users losing their PM boxes or any attachments on posts), but I would need to check with the person who wrote it to see if she minds releasing it, and she isn't online right now. It's a quick&dirty hack that she threw together in an afternoon, but it worked when I converted a board over from SMF earlier this week.

SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:11 pm

I have released version 1.0 BETA 4. This version should fix the problem many people were having with the user conversion stopping due to blank moderator tables. Please see the first post for the new file.

idburns

Post by idburns » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:54 am

When I click the download link I get a file called download.php.
]

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”