Converter Release: Snitz Forums to PHPBB and PHPNuke

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
fedetamayo

Snitz to phpbb converter

Post by fedetamayo »

No luck.

-----------------------------------------------

Error

SQL-query :

UPDATE `FORUM_TOPICS` SET `LASTACTIVITY` = CAST( T_LAST_POST AS DATETIME )

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax near '( T_LAST_POST AS DATETIME ) ' at line 1
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

It might be your version of MySQL. Sorry, I really can't help much further than that because the query is standard SQL, not part of my PHP code.

You could try to perform the conversion manually within phpmyadmin...
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

Quick bump due to the patch required to v0.3. All information is in the first topic in this post.
-gary

Sloooooow

Post by -gary »

What kind of conversion speed should I be expecting? On a 3GHZ P4 and 4GB RAM I'm seeing 30 seconds per user to convert. At this rate, it's going to take 175 hours just to get through the member table. If it takes that long for posts, I'm looking at 280 plus days of conversion time.
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

Gary, that's incredibly slow if you're on the user conversion stage and it's taking 30 secs a user. It normally takes me about 30 seconds to do 1,000 users on a P4 2ghz / 1gig ram running SuSE 10.2 / MySQL4 / apache2.

I'd suggest there's a performance problem elsewhere in your case - maybe you can do some MySQL and apache benchmarking?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ ... marks.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/ab.html

If I can be of help, let me know.
PCGUY112887

Re: Converter Release: Snitz Forums to PHPBB and PHPNuke

Post by PCGUY112887 »

Ok I don't get something here.

I am liking this script so far, however what is the point of merging users if it won't merge posts? I really need something that will merge posts. I mean am I supposed to have a phpBB forum that has users but no posts? The script appears to do a good job at merging, checking for duplicates and such.

Why couldn't the phpBB topics and forums be left alone, and the script creates new forums on the phpBB install with all of the posts from the snitz install in them? All of the posts from snitz could get a new topic id, starting from the last one used by the phpBB install. Then when your all done you could use phpBB's features to delete forums you don't need and put the posts wherever you need them.

Pleeeeeese? :-p I really need to merge a snitz and phpBB forum together with posts.
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

The reason it merges users is because most people install phpbb, create the first phpbb user (admin user) and name it the same as their account on the old snitz forum. Merging the users removes the need to mess around with setting the admin user.

It doesn't merge posts because I never had a need to merge an existing Snitz with an existing Nuke/BB forum. But, as you say, it's very easy and I've actually left comments in the code to show people how to do it. Read the comment on line 982 of the converter (phpbb version).

If you have PHP coding skills then it should only take you a few mins to add. Take careful note of the comment re: screwing up the internal link translation, because all the post id's will be wrong.

I'll be happy to give you guidance on the code changes, I just don't have the time to get a phpbb forum set up, add users, add posts, then do the same for snitz, then merge them to test it.
PCGUY112887

Post by PCGUY112887 »

I would greatly appreciate some coding help since I am very far from being fluent in php.

I have a copy of my site here locally to test as much as I want so I don't have any risk of screwing things up.
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

Try this:

http://www.amazingbrass.co.uk/dist/exte ... -merge.zip

This is TOTALLY experminental. It should merge your Snitz forum with an existing PHPBB forum, but who knows - it might format your hard drive instead. Use at your own risk.

To try it, download the v0.3 converter from the first post in this thread, then replace Snitz2PHPBB.php with the file in the experimental zip, above.

If you do want to try it, I suggest the following:

1. Back up everything. Twice.
2. Take a note of a selection of posts in your PHPBB and Snitz forums. After the migration (if it works), make sure they are all still there.
3. If you get any errors, please post here again with as much detail as possible.
4. The script currently DOES NOT rewrite internal links when merging forums, so any links in posts to other posts in your forum will be wrong. If the script works, I'll fix this bit as it's very minor.

Good luck, and remember - I wrote this with zero testing on the back of a fag packet, so the odds of it working are slim ;)
PCGUY112887

Post by PCGUY112887 »

After merging users, I get this...
Migrating the forum categories...
Now we'll convert 3 dirty forum categories - look away now, children:

General Discussions (ID: 1)

MySQL query error!

Query was: INSERT INTO phpbb_categories (`cat_id`, `cat_title`, `cat_order`) VALUES ('1', 'General Discussions', '1')

mysql_errno = 1062
mysql_error = Duplicate entry '1' for key 1
extra info = Failed adding the categories to the phpbb category table. Suggest you reset the tables, investigate and start again
PCGUY112887

Post by PCGUY112887 »

Well it turns out that I no longer needs to actually merge the forums, so no need to work on that part anymore unless someone else has the need for it!

Regardless, I keep having this error come up (from the official 0.3 script) when it is "fixing" snitz topics.
MySQL query error!

Query was: UPDATE FORUM_TOPICS SET `T_REPLIES` = '58', `T_LAST_POST_REPLY_ID` = '67160', `T_LAST_POST` = 'OK, I'll conti' WHERE `topic_id` = 6645 LIMIT 1

mysql_errno = 1064
mysql_error = You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'll conti' WHERE `topic_id` = 6645 LIMIT 1' at line 4
extra info = Failed updating a topic header (Snitz topic id 6645) with recounted post ids/replies. Suggest you reset the tables, investigate and start again

At first I was like whatever, and I just went through and deleted the post (didn't really need it anyways). So I kept doing that and I have deleted about 50 posts now and it just keeps happening, I don't want to delete anymore posts!

The posts that are erroring appear to be in no particular order or anything, I can't figure it out.

Any ideas? Thanks for all of your work!
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

After merging users, I get this...

Ah, damn. I forgot about that bit. All the categories and forums wil be offset by N too. That's relatively easy to fix.

At first I was like whatever, and I just went through and deleted the post (didn't really need it anyways). So I kept doing that and I have deleted about 50 posts now and it just keeps happening, I don't want to delete anymore posts!

Hmm, it looks like there's a problem with your Snitz database. The text ("OK, I'll conti") is actually in a date field, so something isn't quite right.

Open phpmyadmin, go to your imported Snitz database and go to the FORUM_TOPICS table. In there search for the topic_id 6645. Have a look at the row and see if you can see what the problem is - post it here if you like.

If this is happening to a lot of your posts it may be that either your original Snitz database is corrupted, or the MySQL import wizard wasn't able to properly convert the Access .mdb to SQL.
PCGUY112887

Post by PCGUY112887 »

Well this may be happening becuase I am trying to unarchive all of the archived posts from Snitz for conversion as well. I just merged the archive tables into the "live" tables, removed the entire row for the archive_flag and started the migration.

Still doesn't make since why text would be in the date field however...

I tried to unarchive on the Snitz board before dumping, however that proved almost impossible in MS SQL.
Nancyv

Post by Nancyv »

Just to let you know, I migrated my son his Snitz forum succesfully to phpBB with all the data! ;)
No problem at all!

Thanks for your script!
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

Great, thanks!

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”