Converter Release: Snitz Forums to PHPBB and PHPNuke

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Daine7th

Re: Converter Release: Snitz Forums to PHPBB and PHPNuke

Post by Daine7th »

Well the converter seemed to go through everything all fine and dandy, but I'm missing posts here and there. I can see them in the snitz mysql database, but they aren't making it to the phpbb database...any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,
Daine

P.S. Upon further review, it would appear that only posts before January 3, 2006 were converted from Snitz to phpbb. Is there something magical about that date?
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

Two questions.

1. Have you applied the patch (see the first post in this thread)?

2. Has Snitz archived all the posts before this date? If so the converter won't pick them up because Snitz archives are not part of the forum anymore.

Cheers!
Daine7th

Post by Daine7th »

Thanks for such a quick response!

1. No I haven't...I'll check on that now. EDIT: /em smacks herself...that worked perfectly THANKS!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to adminster these boards and change the style!

Great job on the conversion!
Dacarlo

Post by Dacarlo »

Hi,
I'm running this conversion script and it gets to the 5th stage error free and then just seems to stop. It says:

Here come the forum topics, nearly done. Why oh why did you use Snitz to start with?
Last phpbb post before migrating the stupidly designed Snitz topics is 0.
Performing low memory migration, this iteration will migrate topics 0 to 200 out of 8203 total.
Converting 200 topics. This might take a long, long time. Go on son!
Wait for the first batch please (10:36:26)...

Converted next batch of 50 topics, linked to 94 posts (10:36:42)

At which point the script runs for a bit then ends and the browser says 'Done' at the bottom, as in its finished loading the page.

Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06
SQL 3.X
PhPBB (latest download from this site)

When I look at the forum afterwards all the forum names have been copied, the users are entered into the database. The script just doesn't seem to migrate the posts. Im running this script and pointing it at the same database in which I've imported both the snitz data and the base PhPBB tables (with all the default prefixs) which seems to work just fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

PhPBB (latest download from this site)
That might be your problem. The converter is for phpbb 2.0.x only. You'll need to install 2.0.21, run the conversion, then upgrade phpbb to v3.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

The latest 2.0.x version is 2.0.22. The convertor will work with 2.0.22.
Have you hugged someone today?
Dacarlo

Post by Dacarlo »

Damn shame ;)

It goes through 90% of the conversion. I think it'd be possible to tweak this version to update the latest PhPBB.

Thanks chaps it was kinda obvious so I should have thought of it.(and did later on) :lol:

Cheers
Dac
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

It should be easy enough to do, I'm sure the phpbb3 database format isn't wildly different from v2. If I have time I might do it, otherwise anyone else is welcome to have a go - the code is thoroughly commented.

Cheers dicky, couldn't remember what the latest phpbb version2 was...
Dacarlo

Post by Dacarlo »

Damn still no joy :(

Using Latest release of PhPBB 2
SQL 3 or 5 (tried both)
Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06 <--- does this make any difference. Its quite an old version.

(edit actually it seems to be the latest version. I'd have thought they'd have updated by now!)

Same thing with the bombing out at the end.

Cheers
Dac
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

As a point of information, the phpBB3 database is wildly different from phpBB2.

There seems to be one nice thing about the phpBB3 convertor, is that you can convert from one type of database to another type during the conversion proscess. This will save exporting, converting and importing databases before doing the actual conversion. I am not 100% sure about this yet, though.
Have you hugged someone today?
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

D¡cky wrote:As a point of information, the phpBB3 database is wildly different from phpBB2.
Ok, useful to know. And that pretty much precludes me from recoding the converter :)

Same thing with the bombing out at the end.
Is there anything at all in the phpbb_topics or posts tables?
gibsongk55

I just tried the converter and have errors

Post by gibsongk55 »

Hi,

I want to convert my snitz forum over to phpbb forum. I followed all the instructions and here are the errors i receive:

Snitz To phpbb 2.0.21 Conversion

This script will attempt to convert and migrate your Snitz forum data into your phpbb installation. It's designed for phpbb 2.0.21 (phpbb) but should work on other versions.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to view all results and continue to the next step.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning: main(mysql.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Domains\mydomain.com\wwwroot\forums\Snitz2PHPBB.php on line 234

Warning: main(mysql.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Domains\mydomain.com\wwwroot\forums\Snitz2PHPBB.php on line 234

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'mysql.php' for inclusion (include_path='C:\\php\\phpmailer') in C:\Domains\mydomain.com\wwwroot\forums\Snitz2PHPBB.php on line 234

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: sql_db in C:\Domains\mydomain.com\wwwroot\forums\Snitz2PHPBB.php on line 236

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gib
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

You didn't read all the instructions, did you. Be honest now ;)

The script is looking for the utility code in mysql.php, which you should have copied to the same place as the conversion script. Basically these files must all be in the same directory on your webserver:

mysql.php
phpbb-ports.php
search_stopwords.txt
search_synonyms.txt
Snitz2PHPBB.php (or Snitz2Nuke.php if you're doing a Nuke conversion).

Make sure these files are there and it will work fine.
gibsongk55

Post by gibsongk55 »

Yes you are right. I thought i read somewhere that the mysql script was to convert from an access database to mysql. Thought i didnt need it. My mistake.

Anyway it converted over. But why are passwords not working for anyone? And can i change an admin username from the snitz board that is now on the phpbb board back to admin status?

Don't know how i can get passwords in all the users on phpbb now. I thought about typing them in but they are encoded in the snitz mysql table.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gibs
Endeavour2

Post by Endeavour2 »

But why are passwords not working for anyone?
Different versions of Snitz encode passwords in different ways. This is why my converter doesn't take over the passwords. So your users will need to use the PHPBB password recovery option.

However later versions of Snitz use md5 hashes to store the passwords, which is the same as phpbb IIRC. So if you wanted you could add the bit of code to copy the passwords from Snitz to phpbb (very easy, just add 1 line of code to get the password from the Snitz database where the code extracts the username etc, then add the var to the insert statement that puts it into the phpbb database - it's all well commented).

And can i change an admin username from the snitz board that is now on the phpbb board back to admin status?
The converter doesn't destroy the existing phpbb users. So when you installed phpbb you will have created the first user in the db, which is your phpbb admin user. Just log in as this user then make other users moderators as necessary.

Remember that my script merges userbases - this is described in detail in the docs.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”