XMB 1.9.6 to phpBB 2.0 or higher

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
justjames

XMB 1.9.6 to phpBB 2.0 or higher

Post by justjames »

XMB 1.9.6 to phpBB

We currently run a large board over at www.theoldcoach.com/forum that has over 450,000 posts, about 25,0000 members and 29,000 threads.

Normally during the day we'll have around 300-400 folks on the forum at any given time.

We are currently looking at other forum software that is easier to implement mods and changes versus what we are using now (XMB).

I would like to know if phpbb can support a large forum such as ours and more importantly, if there is a current conversion tool to move our data from XMB to phpbb.

So far we tried to convert to phpbb with an older converter and it's not working. The tool was for 1.5 or something like that.

We'd love to throw our support to a solid forum group, but thus far the conversion factor has been a nightmare.

If we can convert, most likely we'll commit to the package.

Thanks for any quick response in advance

James
Server Admin/Forum Admin
The Old Coach Network

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: XMB 1.9.6 to phpBB 2.0 or higher

Post by D¡cky »

If you look at the size of this board, it should dispel any concerns you have about phpBB being able to handle a large board.

For the conversion, try this xmb2phpBB
Have you hugged someone today?

justjames

Post by justjames »

Tried that one.. here are the errors:
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user '*****'@'10.1.3.36' (using password: NO) in /path to/phpbb/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /path to/phpbb/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /path to/phpbb/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

We set up the install of phpbb 2.0 with the same DB inforation as requested in the xmbtophpbb config file.

We're pretty perplexed at this point. Thanks for the help.

As far as supporting our board and looking at phpbb's stats.. awesome. I really like this new design as well. I'm guessing it's running the beta 3 release? We'd really like to deploy this templates styling for sure.

James

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

There is an unnecessary line that needs to be commented out or removed

Open _xmb2phpbb.php with a text editor

FIND

Code: Select all

include('includes/db.'.$phpEx);
REPLACE WITH

Code: Select all

//	include('includes/db.'.$phpEx);

justjames

Post by justjames »

That helps but it does error out.
Converting ranks....DONE
Converting users...
Total number of users to be converted: 5...
Converting 500 users from user number 0...DONE
Converting forums....DONE
Converting topics...
Total number of topics to be converted: 7...
Converting 500 topics from topic number 0....DONE!
Converting posts...
Total number of posts to be converted: 16...
Converting 500 posts from post number 0.DONE
Converting favorites (Topic Watch)....DONE, fixing last post in forums....DONE, fixing last post in topics....DONE
Converting forum settings...DONE
Inserting default themes...DONE
Converting polls...DONE
Converting private messages...
Total number of private messages to be converted: 62...
Converting 500 private messages from private message number 0...DONE!
Converting smilies....DONE
Converting banned IP numbers....DONE
Converting replaced words....DONE
Filling Search...
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class template in /path to/phpbb/includes/template.php on line 30

We are testing this on our test XMB board. If this works out we'll install and run this on our full scale forum.

Question, would this converter work on a Beta 3 install?

justjames

Post by justjames »

anyone else run into issues with the xmb converter?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

I have not run into that error. What I would do is not use the convertor for the search tables. Instead use Rebuild Search Index.

justjames

Post by justjames »

Is this what caused the error of re-declaring the templates? What I have noticed is after logging in I cannot go to the homepage. It goes to /index.php.... rather than declaring the full URL like... http://www.yourdomain.com/index.php ... etc..

justjames

Post by justjames »

??

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

You are having problems logging in after the conversion? You need to edit the server_name in the phpbb_config table of the database. You will find it on page 2 or 3 of the table. The server_name should be www.domain.tld. Also check the script_path. If the forum is in the root directory, the script_path should be just a / (slash).

justjames

Post by justjames »

The conversion did not complete.
Converting replaced words....DONE
Filling Search...
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class template in /path to/phpbb/includes/template.php on line 30

I was able to log in as it imported the users. Also, in the config table the server name is not listed as well as the script path. But I believe this is due to the conversion not be completed.

*edit - I turned off converting the search words and it completed the conversion. When I bring up the board and try to log in, this is what happens:

When I click login it will authenticate me and then redirect me to the index page, however it sends me to this page:

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

justjames wrote: I was able to log in as it imported the users. Also, in the config table the server name is not listed as well as the script path. But I believe this is due to the conversion not be completed.
Do you mean the fields are empty or that you can't find them? They have to be there. There is more than one page so look on page 2 and 3.
justjames wrote: *edit - I turned off converting the search words and it completed the conversion. When I bring up the board and try to log in, this is what happens:

When I click login it will authenticate me and then redirect me to the index page, however it sends me to this page:
Read my previous post on what to enter in the server_name and script_path fields.

BRIAN_RS

Post by BRIAN_RS »

Got the data just no posts now.

I ran this and now have my XMB data (users, posts text, etc) in my Phpbb tables when viewing the tables directly.

I go to the forum index and it has the correct post counts.

I just have no posts viewable or searchable.

A couple comments.

1. I was on XBM 1.9.5. 1.9.6 is no longer available. They pulled it because of a security issue and replaced it with 1.9.7.

2. I am willing to upgrade my current site to 1.9.7 if you all feel that me being on 1.9.5 caused this issue. I do not know what structural difference exists in the tables that I choose to be imported versus 1.9.6.

3. I tried vainly to resync via the Admin panel.

4. I only choose to import users, forums, threads/posts

Something is off, if ever so slightly here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT] After posting this thread, I went ahead and created a new database. Then upgraded my XMB site to 1.9.7. Then I reimported into my new database the XMB tables and data (into a clean Phpbb db), except this time I imported only a single post. So I ran dual systems at this point, one with XMB 1.9.5 imported and one with XMB 1.9.7. What I found was that if I looked at Latest Post for each forum, the last post from my XMB board showed up properly. If I look at the Topic List, it says no topics.

m2rt

Post by m2rt »

Greeetings,

I did all the necessary steps in this forum to convert... I were sucessful with conversion. Even changed site adres and script location.. Got everything working...

Only one problem there is...

On my XMB forum there was same user then my siteadmin on phpbb.. now the user is not site owner(or whatever the title was) anymore... also the link to admin board got lost from this user...

How can I put my original user back as site creator(owner,whatever)... Which table I have to modify and with which values??

I understand that phpbb_users ? when picked the needed user then its user_level is 0 and user_rank is 11
for what these ranks must be to be on the top of the hierarchy???

Thanks ahead...

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

m2rt wrote:How can I put my original user back as site creator(owner,whatever)... Which table I have to modify and with which values??

I understand that phpbb_users ? when picked the needed user then its user_level is 0 and user_rank is 11
for what these ranks must be to be on the top of the hierarchy???

Thanks ahead...
user_level needs to be 1. Rank doesn't matter.

BRIAN_RS wrote:Got the data just no posts now.

[EDIT] After posting this thread, I went ahead and created a new database. Then upgraded my XMB site to 1.9.7. Then I reimported into my new database the XMB tables and data (into a clean Phpbb db), except this time I imported only a single post. So I ran dual systems at this point, one with XMB 1.9.5 imported and one with XMB 1.9.7. What I found was that if I looked at Latest Post for each forum, the last post from my XMB board showed up properly. If I look at the Topic List, it says no topics.
The main reason for posts and topics not showing, is that the posters are not members of your board. So, look in the database, find the poster_ids for the latest posts and check the phpbb_users table to see if the posters are members of your board.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”