[SUPPORT] SMF 1.1.1 to phpBB2

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
mklcst

Re: [SUPPORT] SMF 1.1.1 to phpBB2

Post by mklcst »

thank you for your reply Dicky, so what i have to do?
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

mklcst wrote:thank you for your reply Dicky, so what i have to do?
You need to have phpBB installed.
The SMF database needs to be in the same database as phpBB.
You need to have the SMF files on the same server as phpBB.

Forum address:
(this is the http address of your former forum)
"former forum" means the forum you are converting from, which would be SMF. So you enter the address to the SMF files.

Forum path
(this is the relative -to phpBB main directory- server path to your former forum)
this is the relative path from phpBB to the SMF files.
Have you hugged someone today?
YoungAndFabulous

Post by YoungAndFabulous »

Hello!

Thank you for making such a wonderful converter.

I havent had a chance to try out EasyPHP (it is taking forever to DL), but I wanted to know if I truly need to use it or am experiencing some other problem.

I get to step 9,and I believe it goes on to step 10, but it does a round about to the front page of my site.

This is the link in the bar:

http://www.i-wed.org/community/convert/ ... ba0b7531c4

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

YoungAndFabulous wrote:Hello!

Thank you for making such a wonderful converter.

I havent had a chance to try out EasyPHP (it is taking forever to DL), but I wanted to know if I truly need to use it or am experiencing some other problem.

I get to step 9,and I believe it goes on to step 10, but it does a round about to the front page of my site.

This is the link in the bar:

http://www.i-wed.org/community/convert/ ... ba0b7531c4

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Sometimes there are problems with the server that your board is hosted on which require that you do the conversion locally using EasyPHP or WAMP. Usually, the problems are with limited server resources which cause timeout problems. I am not sure that this is your problem, but you should definitely try the conversion locally.
fang009

Post by fang009 »

Dicky...
I'm sure you have heard this and seen this a thousand times but i'm sitting here brainlocked...

SMF
http://www.valcomp.net/smf/

phpbb2
http://www.valcomp.net/phpbb2/

the converter is installed with the associated converters file in phpbb2/convert
smf_ prefix
forum address is http://www.valcomp.net/smf/
relative address is ../phpbb2

both are working boards... both are in the same database but i keep getting this error

Could not copy file ../smf/avatars/blank.gif to phpbb2/images/avatars/gallery/smf/blank.gif
Please check that the target directory exists and is writable by the webserver

maybe it's my paths I don't know because I have all those images and directories chmoded to 777

i'm just not sure what's wrong... any help would be appreciated as you will help resolve a long convoluted path to upgrade the e107 forums to phpbb3.. (it's been a long process)

[EDIT] nevermind... I just copied those files over and everything worked perfectly... thanks for all your hard work on this plugin... it's made this trail of horror seem a little brighter
crackerboy

Post by crackerboy »

Will this work with SMF 1.4 too?
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

crackerboy wrote:Will this work with SMF 1.4 too?
Yes, it will.
avernoz

Post by avernoz »

Well I did everything it suggested and all that came up was a blank screen?

http://mongbat.com/forums/convert/index.php
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

avernoz wrote:Well I did everything it suggested and all that came up was a blank screen?

http://mongbat.com/forums/convert/index.php
This convertor is for converting to phpBB2, not for phpBB3.
macdesktops

Post by macdesktops »

silverbreeze wrote:I have searched this thread and others, but cannot find a solution to my problem.

My former forum is gone, poof, no longer exists. However, I do have an sql database backup/dump.
[...]
Using phpMyadmin, I have imported the data from my former forum into the phpBB_ database. All tables can be viewed.

I have installed the Converter properly, the page opens, but I cannot get it to connect to localhost/phpbb and perform the conversion. "Could not find path to your former forum."
[...]
Any advice gratefully received!

--Bob, in Dublin
I have the same issue. I have a database backup of my original smf tables, which I have successfully restored into the phpbb2 database. When I try to run the converter, it gives me the same "Could not find path to your former forum. Please check your settings and try again" error and won't continue.

How do I convert just the data from the smf tables into the new, empty, phpbb 2 tables?

Ryan
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

macdesktops wrote:
silverbreeze wrote:I have searched this thread and others, but cannot find a solution to my problem.

My former forum is gone, poof, no longer exists. However, I do have an sql database backup/dump.I have the same issue. I have a database backup of my original smf tables, which I have successfully restored into the phpbb2 database. When I try to run the converter, it gives me the same "Could not find path to your former forum. Please check your settings and try again" error and won't continue.

How do I convert just the data from the smf tables into the new, empty, phpbb 2 tables?

Ryan
The convertor needs to see the files even though SMF is not installed. Download the files from SMF and extract them to your server. Place the files so the phpBB convertor can find them.
thiendrah

Post by thiendrah »

I get a blank page when I try to run convert/index.php, or convert/convert_smf.php
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

You should be using convert/index.php

Make sure that all the files are uploaded correctly maintaining the directory structure that is in the zip file. Set the board default style to subSilver and your profile to subSilver or make sure the convertor template files are copied to the style you are using.

[edit] Huh? convert_smf.php is not part of the smf111 to phpBB2 package. convert_smf_111_v1.php is.
You want to be using this convertor, smf 1.1.1 convertor.
arson3

Post by arson3 »

Thanks for the fantastic converter, Dicky, I converted a database with 39000+ posts and 4000+ users with one error which I was able to resolve. In case anyone runs across the same error:
Couldn't obtain table information.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'members.pm_email_notify' in 'field list'

SELECT members.ID_MEMBER, members.is_activated, members.memberName, members.passwd, members.dateRegistered, members.lastLogin, members.ID_GROUP, members.posts, members.timeOffset, members.timeFormat, members.instantMessages, members.unreadMessages, members.hideEmail, members.showOnline, members.pm_email_notify, membergroups.ID_GROUP, members.avatar, members.emailAddress, members.ICQ, members.websiteUrl, members.location, members.signature, members.AIM, members.YIM, members.MSN FROM smf_members members LEFT JOIN smf_membergroups AS membergroups ON members.ID_GROUP = membergroups.ID_GROUP WHERE members.ID_MEMBER > 0 ORDER BY members.ID_MEMBER ASC

Line : 711
File : index.php
I just opened /converter/convert_smf.php, did a search for "pm_email_notify" and changed it to "im_email_notify", saved and reran successfully.

I converted from 1.1.4. If memory serves correctly, when I upgraded from 1.0.9 to 1.1.4 I had an error with that same column and had changed it to im_email_notify at that time... or I'm mistaken and 1.1.4 just changed the name.

Either way, thanks again!
Corovus

Post by Corovus »

Hi there,

ive got a strange Problem while converting from SMF 1.1.5 to phpBB2. After installing phpBB2 i copy all files from the convert_smf_111_v1b.zip like its told in readme.txt.

Then i go to http://mydomain.de/Forum/phpBB2/convert/index.php and fill in all required Informations like Table Prefix and path to SMF Forum. I click on Convert and the process starts but at Step 10 / 75% it stops and i get a white page "Error 500 - Internal server error".

If i try the same Process with same Configuration/Forum Version etc. on my local Apache Server, all works fine without Erros.

Only possible causes i can imagin are bad or missing Tables (in that case i should get a real error msg right?) or communication to my Provider.

I would be glad if some of you guys can help me out because i need to move the Forum from smf->phpbb this weekend.

Coro

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”