[SUPPORT] SMF 1.1.1 to phpBB2

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
queengeek

Re: [SUPPORT] SMF 1.1.1 to phpBB2

Post by queengeek » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:11 am

Ok...go into your smf forum.
Go to admin panel>>>forum maintenance
Click the 'save the table structure' box(making sure all boxes are ticked) then click download and save it somewhere on your computer as a backup. Next stay at the forum maintenance page and under general maintenence click the 'convert to UTF-8'
When thats done create another backup and name it something else that you'll recognize...keep the file in its zipped form!

Go into your database via your web host control panel and click on the right database. There should be an option to import. Click browse and find the second backup (UTF-8). Uncheck any interrupt boxes then proceed.

That should make sure everything goes into your table.

Try that for starters...run the converter and let me know what you get.

lolauk

Post by lolauk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:09 pm

jut doing it now - can i re-install the database if any probs happen?
i just went into adminmyphp and imported the file

will let you know how i got on

queengeek

Post by queengeek » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:14 pm

You shouldn't have any problems but if there are just ask your host about reinstalling. The first backup you made has all your forum in its original format anyway so you should be safe.

lolauk

Post by lolauk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:20 pm

yeh! ummmm that doesnt work and phpmyadmin isnt working now - i just get an array of errors :(
gonna get my host to re-install again - thanks for trying though :)

queengeek

Post by queengeek » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:26 pm

lolauk wrote:yeh! ummmm that doesnt work and phpmyadmin isnt working now - i just get an array of errors :(
gonna get my host to re-install again - thanks for trying though :)
Thats strange it didn't for me...must be a different set up. Can you still get into it? Thats where the first back up comes in...you'll need to put that up. I'm a visual person so I could probably have this sorted pretty quick but as I have no idea what your setup is like I have to try and do the best I can with what I get. If you want you can PM me and when the prob is sorted you could put up solution for others to see?

lolauk

Post by lolauk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:35 pm

queengeek wrote: Thats strange it didn't for me...must be a different set up. Can you still get into it? Thats where the first back up comes in...you'll need to put that up. I'm a visual person so I could probably have this sorted pretty quick but as I have no idea what your setup is like I have to try and do the best I can with what I get. If you want you can PM me and when the prob is sorted you could put up solution for others to see?
Nup, cant get in at all -when its loading up the databases infos it comes up white screen with hundreds of errors on the main screen and the nav bar on the left saying Fatal error phpMyAdmin/libraries/common.lib.php blah blah

its cool, if/when my host can re-install the database to norm, i might try it through another software instead of smf - for some reason its just not working :(

lolauk

Post by lolauk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:01 pm

im actually getting more up when i type in phpbb_ into the table prefix when i was mucking about with it.
Could not find these tables: phpbb_boards, phpbb_membergroups, phpbb_board_permissions, phpbb_moderators, phpbb_messages, phpbb_personal_messages, phpbb_pm_recipients, phpbb_smileys, phpbb_log_notify, phpbb_polls, phpbb_poll_choices.

Please check your table prefix and try again.

The default table prefix for SMF 1.1.1 is smf_

Click Here to return to the convertors panel
smf_ definately goes into the table prefix because im getting nothing at all when i type it in except the usual

Please check your table prefix and try again.
The default table prefix for SMF 1.1.1 is smf_
Click Here to return to the convertors panel

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:48 am

lolauk,
It appears that you don't have the smf tables in the same database as the phpbb tables. They have to be in the same database.
Have you hugged someone today?

lolauk

Post by lolauk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:00 pm

i have been told that the phpbb and smf databases have to be merged - is this correct - i have seen it done before but i cant remember how to do it, could someone give me a bit of advice?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:23 pm

lolauk wrote:i have been told that the phpbb and smf databases have to be merged - is this correct - i have seen it done before but i cant remember how to do it, could someone give me a bit of advice?
lolauk wrote:i have been told that the phpbb and smf databases have to be merged - is this correct - i have seen it done before but i cant remember how to do it, could someone give me a bit of advice?
Yes, they do need to be merged. That is what I have been trying to tell you.

What method you use depends on where the SMF board is located and where the phpBB board will be located.

If phpBB will be located on the same server as SMF, then all you need to do is install phpBB using the existing SMF database. You will need to know what your SMF database information is, database name, database user and database user password. If you don't know, you can get the information from the SMF Settings.php file.

If you need to move the SMF database and merge it into the phpBB database, this article will give you the basic idea of how to do it, Knowledge Base - How to move a phpBB 2.0.x board to a new server

lolauk

Post by lolauk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:05 pm

TheRenegade

Post by TheRenegade » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:36 pm

Just to make sure I got this all. As everyone in this thread seems to have another question. I just want to make sure I got the general idea.

I have a forum currently on SMF 1.1.3, switching over to phpBB2. SO... in order to keep all my old users and posts, all I need to do it install phpBB2 and use the same database that SMF is currently using? Is there anything it will not keep?? Or any files I need to modify? As the converter says to use old passwords, you need to edit the login.php.

Next question, what will happen if I have both phpBB2 and SMF 1.1.3 running at the same time using the same database? Reason being, is I want to make the move, but want to test it out first, and don't really want to either have to reinstall phpBB, or just making the switch and have something go south.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 am

TheRenegade,
You are correct, all you need to do is install phpBB2 using the SMF database. The only thing that is not kept, is attachments since the vanilla phpBB2 does not support attachments.

You will need to modify the phpBB2 login.php so users can log in with their SMF passwords. Otherwise, they can use the "I forgot my password" link to reset their password.

The convertor does nothing to the SMF database or the files, so you can continue to use the SMF forum after the conversion.

lolauk

Post by lolauk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:04 pm

sorry dicky, i know im becoming a pain in the bum!

ok, i am very nervous about fiddling with my databases- i worked very hard on my websites and im so scared of losing works so what i was told to do was create a new target database - export the info from both source databases into that

done this and tried convert and it still does not work.
within my new target database file phbbsmf (i called it that so i would know) it has my phpbb files and smf files merged together.
I went to the convert page, put in

smf_
forum/
/phpbbtest/

and still i get the same "no tables present" message.

everything has been merged together and i still dont know why its not working
i even tried to go through the config file and replace the database info but i keep getting

) ; ?> phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

i have followed the instructions to the "T" - well except for actually merging both the main databases together but is it because of the file name i have called the target database or something?

Sunookitsune

Post by Sunookitsune » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:21 pm

D¡cky wrote:The problem is this:
SQL Error : 1062 Duplicate entry '442' for key 1
Why is the convertor trying to enter 3 Administrator groups and 3 Moderator groups? It may have something to do with the left join in the second half of the group conversion. Looking at it now, I am not sure why that is necessary.
The way the convertor works, in the first half of the group conversion, it adds each member with their personal group and in the second half, it adds the smf membergroups. I am not seeing why in the second half it has to look at the members table. I am baffled at the moment because I don't recall any complaints about this.
Any chance you ever figured out why it wasn't working? I don't mean to sound impatient or anything, just wondering if anything is going on with it.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”