[SUPPORT] vBulletin 2.x -> phpBB 2.0.x converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Matthijs
Former Team Member

[SUPPORT] vBulletin 2.x -> phpBB 2.0.x converter

Post by Matthijs » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:28 pm

Since the original development topic is getting quite unreadable because of the length of it, I'm starting this new topic.
Use this for support requests only, thank-you notes e.a. can be done via PM or email.

The current version of my converter is: 1.33
Current version of attachment converter is: 1.02

Latest versions known to work: vB 2.3.7, phpBB 2.0.15, mod_attach 2.3.7

Download Link

Limited Email Support via converter (at) matthijs (dot) net

----- CONVERTS ----
- Everything but the themes and features not included in phpBB
- Attachments seperately supported

----- KNOWN ISSUES -----
- version 1.31: polls with id > 1000 not converted
- version 1.32: wordlist generation incompatible with phpBB 2.0.4
- version 1.33: none
- Unable to convert DCForums via vBulletin, due to makeup of DCForums to vBulletin converter. This is not a bug in my converter.

----- AUTO SUPPORT -----
http://www.matthijs.net/phpbb/converter_support.php
A tool for automatic path-define discovery.

----- FAQ -----
I have the latest version of phpBB (anything above 2.0.10), but I get 'Your phpBB version is incompatible with this version of the converter.'
This error message is incorrect. The conversion will work fine, just ignore the message. I will release a fixed version of my converter in due time.

I want to convert forumA.com/vb/ to forumB.com/phpBB/, is that a problem?
If the files for both domains are on the same server, no. Just make sure the path defines are okay. If you have two different servers, it will not work directly. You'll have to install a clean phpBB on the same server as the vB installation and use it to convert. Move this phpBB intallation to the new server afterwards (see numerous topics and Knowlegde Base for details on how to do this).

I get path define errors, what is wrong?
Follow these simple steps:
  1. Edit convert.php and change the following variable:
    define('PHPBB_PATH', '../phpBB2/');
    There are two ways to define this variable: 1) put in the absolute path (e.g. '/var/www/forums/phpbb/') or 2) define it relative to the vBulletin dir, where convert.php will be uploaded (e.g. '../phpbb/').
    The second option is the simplest, but for some reason people keep messing this up.
    Examples:
  2. The second variable you have to edit is the URL of your phpBB board as it would be viewed through your browser:
    define('PHPBB_URI', 'http://www.yourdomain.com/phpBB2/');
  3. Upload the edited convert.php into your vBulletin dir (in the forum root, where forumdisplay.php is)
Be sure to include the tailing slashes on all paths. If you still get these errors and are unable to figure it out on your own, PM me with the URL of your vBulletin and phpBB forum and I'll send you the correct defines.
If you have PHP 4.3, use full paths instead of relative ones if you experience problems. This will most certainly help.

Does the converter overwrite my old vBulletin forum?
No. The converter reads from the vBulletin database and writes to the new phpBB database. The vBulletin installation is left totally intact. So if there is a problem converting, no data will be lost and you can safely try again after solving the problem.

My vB installation uses subforums, will these get converted?
Yes, since phpBB doesn't support subforums, the vB subforums are converted to normal forums.

After the conversion, there are no forums on the frontpage
Your vB installation did not have categories or there where forums without a category. After adding a new category in the phpBB admin area, the forums will appear and everything will work.

I get timeout errors or the script stops in the middle of the process
Enable the FORCE_SAFE_MODE define (set it to '1'). Even though you are not running on safe_mode, this should stop the script timing out.
If you still get timeouts, you should also lower the SAFE_MODE_BATCHES define (integer values only!).
As a last resort, you can manually edit

Code: Select all

$batchsize = 150;
to something lower, like 100. This piece of code is located at line 2843 of convert.php.

At some step in the process, I ran into an error. It's now fixed, do I have to restart the entire process?
No, you can simply resume the process after the last step that was successful. Point your browser to f.i. http://www.yourdomain.com/vb/convert.php?step=wordlist
Also, you may resume the wordlist indexing when using FORCE_SAFE_MODE at the last batch, http://www.yourdomain.com/vb/convert.ph ... artat=XXXX

I used an earlier version of the converter and I have problems with avatar permissions
Run the following query on the database, using a tool like phpMyAdmin
UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_allowavatar=1;

What about supporting vBulletin 3.0 RC-X/Final?
A new converter for vB 3.0 will be written in due time. See my (pre-)development topic here.

-----------------------------

Search keywords: vbulletin vb vbull convert converter change support question help vb2x_convert.zip convert.php attachment attachments
Last edited by Matthijs on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:57 am, edited 32 times in total.

shibbygfx

Post by shibbygfx » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:17 pm

does this convert vb themes to phpbb aswell?

Pookz

Post by Pookz » Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:25 pm

doubtful
-[Pookz]

Putting things into perspective.

Timmy2k

Post by Timmy2k » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:07 am

Hi guys !

I have a question before i try to convert. I have some subforums in my vb, and phpBB does not have this feature in its original version. So what happen to the categories and the posts of my subforums when I convert from vb to phpBB ?

greets Timmy2k

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:53 am

The subforums will become normal forums, all posts will be in them. You may have to change the forum layout via the admin panel before the old subforums become visible in phpBB.

And no: themes are not converted, the methods of phpBB and vB for using themes are totally incompatible.
phpBB Converter Team Member
Developer of the vBulletin 2.x.x -> phpBB 2.0.x Converter
See Matthijs.net for more info

cloud strife

Post by cloud strife » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:43 pm

I recieve this error:-

Converting Users
* Converting Users ( 2001 to 3000 ) ::

ERROR: Unable to insert user 2005

After you have located and fixed the error, reload this page to continue the conversion process.

Debug information:
Line: 1657
SQL: INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_id, user_active, username, user_password, user_lastvisit, user_regdate, user_level, user_posts, user_timezone, user_style, user_lang, user_dateformat, user_viewemail, user_attachsig, user_allowhtml, user_allowbbcode, user_allowsmile, user_allowavatar, user_allow_pm, user_allow_viewonline, user_notify, user_notify_pm, user_popup_pm, user_rank, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_email, user_icq, user_website, user_from, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_occ, user_interests)
VALUES ('2005', '1', 'grogman', '33561003f44d374c729506bef4faeba4', '1036781174', '1029505304', '0', '350', '0', '1', 'english', 'm-d-Y h:i A', '0', '1', '0', '1', '1', '0', '1', '1', '1', '0', '1', 'NULL', '', '0', 'grogman2412@hotmail.com', '', '', '', '[color=red:8ab0578bb4] [b:8ab0578bb4]Listen up!:[/b:8ab0578bb4][/color:8ab0578bb4]

[color=blue:8ab0578bb4]Have fun!!!!!![/color:8ab0578bb4]', '8ab0578bb4', '', '', '', '', '')
MySQL Error: 1062 :: Duplicate entry '2005' for key 1

I deleted him off the database, then someone else popped up, untill I had to delete everyone... When I deleted everyone, then it gave a similar error about posts ???!!! It wants me to delete all my posts aswell???!!!

What am I supposed to do???

cloud strife

Post by cloud strife » Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:48 pm

bump!
Please help me

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:34 pm

Hmm... are you using SAFE_MODE either by forcing it or because the server is configured that way? The script will say so when you begin.

If this is the case, this might be a problem with my converter. Otherwise it must be a server related problem or a duplicate entry in your database. I will look into this.

Edit: just checked my sourcecode to be sure, but it seems to me it is impossible that my script produces duplicate keys. Must be a server-related problem.
I do recall someone having a similar problem before, which turned out to be a config problem. I'll see if I can find it.
Are you sure that you have a fresh phpBB install and the MySQL user has all appropriate rights?

cloud strife

Post by cloud strife » Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:09 am

Yep, its a fresh installation of phpbb... I dont know whats going on..

haravinth

Post by haravinth » Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:38 am

attachments.php is not working

i tried to convert vbulletin attachments to phpbb. but it didn't work

first configure the attachements.php file
then i put it in to my vbulletin main page
after i open that file by goin to www.someting.com/vbulletin/attachements.php

then this is what i see on the browser
* Converting attachments (1 to 50) :: OK

but i don't have 50 files, i have only 3 files. and it didn't come on phpbb.
i used convert.php to convert text before i use attachment.php
convert.php worked
attachment.php didn't work

plz help me. :( :( :(

SFNE Freak

Post by SFNE Freak » Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:20 pm

Here's my problem, I'm converting a friend who's on 2.2.2 and all the posts and users and everything supposedly transfer (according to phpBB stats) but there are no forums or anything. Should I have him upgrade to 2.2.8 and then try or what?

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:40 pm

SFNE Freak wrote: Here's my problem, I'm converting a friend who's on 2.2.2 and all the posts and users and everything supposedly transfer (according to phpBB stats) but there are no forums or anything. Should I have him upgrade to 2.2.8 and then try or what?

Should work on 2.2.2 too. Does he use sub-forums? That could explain things not showing up. Check the forums admin page to correct this. Could be a auth problem too...

On the attachments: you should apply the attachment MOD after you've converted the board from vB. If that is what you did, I'll try to look into that soon.

grunt

Post by grunt » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:57 pm

hi.. My VB site has about 15 forums total. Out of those, there are only 5 forums that i would like to convert from VB to PHPBB. The only thing i am concerned with is the posts within these forums..users, permissions, etc, etc i am not concerned with...just the posts. Wondering if this is possible with this script or a mod of the script?

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:28 pm

grunt wrote: hi.. My VB site has about 15 forums total. Out of those, there are only 5 forums that i would like to convert from VB to PHPBB. The only thing i am concerned with is the posts within these forums..users, permissions, etc, etc i am not concerned with...just the posts. Wondering if this is possible with this script or a mod of the script?

You'd have to mod the script to do that. Another possibility is converting it all and deleting (pruning) the forums that are not needed.

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:32 pm

Updated the attachments conversion, it was not working properly but should be now.
I've packaged it with the convert script and put it on my site. The version of the normal conversion script remains the same.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”