[SUPPORT] vBulletin 2.x -> phpBB 2.0.x converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:19 am

Exactly. That tool builds the index post-by-post, so there should be no timeouts. Will take a LONG time though.
phpBB Converter Team Member
Developer of the vBulletin 2.x.x -> phpBB 2.0.x Converter
See Matthijs.net for more info

fatmike

Post by fatmike » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:58 pm

ok. but the script stops with this error message.
will there be more steps or is it the last one so everything else has been converted?

what for is the search index? must i do a rebuild via ur tool?

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:05 pm

This is indeed the last step of the conversion. The search index is what the search-function of phpBB uses to find posts. It is very large and thus takes quite some time to build.
If you use the tool suggested by Dicky, your conversion will be done, all other data is already converted.

fatmike

Post by fatmike » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:07 pm

yeah thanx ill try it :)

fatmike

Post by fatmike » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:43 pm

ok. the convertion worked fine and also the rebuilding of the search index ended sucessfully.
but i have the problem that on the mainpage no forum is diplayed. i read in your faqs that i simply have to create a new catergory but that doesn't bring me the forums.
but they are there! when i look for post by a user i can access the forums. they only aren't displayed on the start page!?
solutions?
thnx

fat

fatmike

Post by fatmike » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:38 pm

anyone a solution?

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:52 pm

Do the forums show up in the admin panel (where you added the category) or not? Try running a SQL query like

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_forums SET cat_id = 1;
where 1 is the ID of the category you added (most likely 1). This will move all forums to category 1 and make them appear. Afterwards, you can move them into different categories (if needed) from the admin panel.
Alternatively you can try adding a few more categories as a simple test to see if the forums show up. The problem is that the forums have a cat_id of a non-existing category (or probably no cat_id at all).

Otherwise I would need a login to your forum (and probably your server) to fix it manually. Drop me an email at converter (at) matthijs (dot) net if you can't fix it yourself with the information above.

TRAdmin

Post by TRAdmin » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:50 pm

I hope I can get some help on this because I am stumped...

I am trying to convert vBulletin v2.3.0 to phpBB 2.0.19 and I'm running into a problem. I followed all the directions, installed a clean copy of phpBB and when I run convert.php in the vbulletin root directory this is what I get.

I've been though and checked and the permissions are set correctly on the avatars and smilies directories. Anyway, when I run convert.php this is what I get next:

OK so the smilies and avatars are the least of my concerns and I can reload them manually when I'm finished so I click on Next step: start and all that happens is that I'm taken back to the first screen... :?

It's a seemingly endless loop that I can't figure a way out of... Is the converter not compatable with these versions? Please help...

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:09 pm

The steps should be (in order):

// Step descriptions and sequence
$steps = array("start" => "Welcome Screen",
	"settings" => "Settings",
	"forums" => "Forums, Catogories and Permissions",
	"users" => "Users",
	"mods" => "Moderators, Admins and Usergroups",
	"topics" => "Topics",
	"posts" => "Posts",
	"pm" => "Private Messages",
	"polls" => "Polls",
	"wordlist" => "Search Wordlist",
	"end" => "Finalisation and Thank You Screen");
For some reason, the code fails to get the next step from the current one. This might have to do with the fact that your PHP installation does not support the old (PHP4) way of GET variables.

Check if replacing

// Display welcome screen if the user hasn't specified a specific starting point.
$step = ( isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['step']) ) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['step'] : 'start';

// Get resume point if one was given
$start_id = ( isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['startat']) ) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['startat'] : 0;
with

// Display welcome screen if the user hasn't specified a specific starting point.
$step = ( isset($_GET['step']) ) ? $_GET['step'] : 'start';

// Get resume point if one was given
$start_id = ( isset($_GET['startat']) ) ? $_GET['startat'] : 0;
does the trick...

TRAdmin

Post by TRAdmin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:18 am

Hi thanks for checking in. I installed the change and the result is exactly the same as before. :?

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi,

I can't really debug this from the info given, but it seems configuration-dependent, since I haven't seen this issue before.

Anyway: you could try to go the the next step by hand (just replace the ?step= part of the URL). The correct order of steps are in my previous post.

You might (will?) run into problems when the script tries to split one step over multiple pages, so you might also have to change the &startat= variable by hand.

What is your PHP version anyway?

TRAdmin

Post by TRAdmin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:36 am

Hi, again thanks. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. :D I followed your advice and did it step by step and it converted over with no problems at all.

My new problem came when I ran the attachments converter. The script ran and all appeared to go smoothly but when I look into posts which have attachments, the attachment box is there but the photo is a red X. I went out to the server to look at the phpBB "files" directory and for each attachment there is a properly named file ... but the problem is that every file in the "files" directory is empty... zero bytes.

I've found a workaround to the problem but it would involve me having to manually go into every file in the VB "attachments" directory and stripping off the vb information just leaving the original photo name and extension. To do this on a couple of thousand photos would take forever, not to mention the hours of tranfer time to reload them all into the "files" directory. Any chance you can help me with this one?

BTW, in answer to your question, how do I find out what version of PHP the server is running? I poked around the control panel but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again

Reece^B

Post by Reece^B » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:09 am

Hello there,
Im getting these errors:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1089/untitledzu2.jpg

But the config is:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3/untitled2fx5.jpg

anyone shed light onto this?

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:12 am

Reece^B wrote: Hello there,
Im getting these errors:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1089/untitledzu2.jpg

But the config is:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3/untitled2fx5.jpg

anyone shed light onto this?

Without knowing what the paths are to your forums, we can't tell what is wrong. Did you read the first post in this topic? It explains how to set your paths.
Have you hugged someone today?

check

Re:

Post by check » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:41 am

why my not convert eve not show any erros

http://www.mknexusonline.com/forums/convert.php

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”