UBB 5.x to phpBB 2.x Converter

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
GUI

Post by GUI » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:36 am

Yes. But it will re-index all posts, so the stuff already in there will end up being added back in.
Hard work may not kill you, but why take chances?

AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:55 am

GUI wrote: Yes. But it will re-index all posts, so the stuff already in there will end up being added back in.

Exceptable :D

Awesome, and thanks!

GUI

Post by GUI » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:57 am

1.1.0 (03-11-03)
  • Process is completely automated through auto-refreshing pages.
  • Time and convert limits may now be set on the index page.
  • Compatible with PHP running in safe mode (time limit will be set to PHP's configuration value).
  • Lots of other little bug fixes and enchancements.
I don't have time to thourghly explain this, but it's a fairly substantial update that should make things much easier (no clicking next a billion times). I'll try to explain this better tomorrow..

clockwoo

Post by clockwoo » Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:51 am

ok, tried the newest release (which is pretty smooth, btw)

When it gets to the Message conversion, I get the following error (about 100 per page as before, which causes server timeouts unless set to a very low conversion limit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsuccessfully inserted new word DB Error: already exists
INSERT INTO phpbb_search_wordlist (word_text, word_common) VALUES ('backgrounds', 0) [nativecode=ERROR: Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index phpbb_search_wordlist_pkey ]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious if anyone else is getting this error, or if it's something unique to me. I didn't get this error in the version before the search updates were implemented.

GUI

Post by GUI » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:34 pm

Hmm... well for one, you shouldn't actually have to lower the limit to 100 per page (although this is about normal for converting if you have Rebuild Search checked--this slows it down quite a bit). It should automatically figure out when it's going to run out ot time, and stop then (I'll explain this whole thing better this afternoon). That search error is also rather funky. I ran the whole process on around 150,000 posts last night, and didn't get a single error. One thing you could try is to uncheck the Rebuild Search option (which will allow you to also greatly increase the topic limit), and then after it finishes converting, run my Rebuild Search mod. This mod uses the standard phpBB search functions instead of my modified versions, so nothing should go wrong there.

Oh, are you using PostgreSQL? I haven't tested that in a while to make sure it still works. I guess I should do that this afternoon.

clockwoo

Post by clockwoo » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:15 pm

GUI wrote: Oh, are you using PostgreSQL? I haven't tested that in a while to make sure it still works. I guess I should do that this afternoon.

Yep, PostgreSQL.

I'll give it a try with the Rebuild Search function turned off and let you know what happens.

clockwoo

Post by clockwoo » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:30 pm

I used your REBUILD SEARCH mod and got the following error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Error : -1 ERROR: Attribute 'single' not found

INSERT INTO phpbb_search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT single, word_id, 1 FROM phpbb_search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('are', 'not', 'going', 'require', 'registration', 'post', 'reply', 'for', 'now', 'unless', 'the', 'need', 'arises', 'look', 'into', 'integrating', 'your', 'epilogue', 'usernames', 'and', 'passwords', 'with', 'forum', 'but', 'that', 'will', 'take', 'some', 'time', 'however', 'you', 'can', 'register', 'like', 'use', 'signatures', 'etc', 'chad', 'lockwood', 'net', 'fantasy', 'scifi', 'their', 'best')

Line : 242
File : /b/www/epilogue.net/docs/cgi/phpBB2/includes/functions_search.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could this be a PostgreSQL issue?

Just for the record, I am running phpBB v2.0.3.

GUI

Post by GUI » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:44 pm

Very odd. Someone else is reporting the exact same error. I'm trying to figure out if they're running PostgreSQL as well...

clockwoo

Post by clockwoo » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:01 pm

Any new progress?

clockwoo

Hope everything is ok...

Post by clockwoo » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:27 pm

Has development on the convertor stopped? I know, I am impatient! but phpbb is so much better than what I am using and I'm very anxious to get switched over!

Great work, GUI

fen

Post by fen » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:02 am

GUI,

First, you pwn for doing all this work! Just in case no-one tells you that.

Second, I had a problem. :) When I run the conversion, in each stage I get a load of errors, and they all seem to relate to single quotes. For example, a typical error:

Code: Select all

Unsuccessfully inserted record for "Merce" into phpbb_users table DB Error: syntax error
INSERT INTO phpbb_users ( user_id, user_active, username, ...  user_newpasswd) VALUES ('382', '1', 'Merce', ....  'Don\'t mess with the dead, boy, they have eerie powers.', '', NULL, NULL, NULL, '', '', NULL, NULL) [nativecode=37000 [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression ''Don\'t mess with the dead'.] 
I'm only approximately familiar with sql, but I'd think those single quotes need to be doubled, not escaped, right?

So assuming I'm not the only one whose board contains single quotes, I'm supposing there's something nonstandard about my board, which is ubb5.44. For one, the board runs on nix, but I'm converting on a pc. Since I wanted to do a dry run, I tarballed everything and made it local to see if things worked okay. Also, the main admin of the original ubb board is familiar with modding, and I don't know if he's done any modding on the board in question. If it helps, in the ubb data files the single quotes are stored as-is, not escaped.

That said, the conversion did work in a fashion. Users and boards were created, with the ones with single quotes. For example, user "merce" from the error above didn't make the cut. Any ideas? Or at the least, can you give me an idea whether the problem is with the conversion code or my board?

thanks again,
fen
-- I beat the internet. The end guy was hard.

LHS

Post by LHS » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:29 pm

Hello GUI,

i am very glad to inform you that I successfully converted one of the major german boards on mobile communication with more than 30.000 posts and over 1200 members from UBB 5.47d to phpBB 2.0.4 working with your convertor.

Everything worked fine, taking overall about 5 hours for complete conversion in a one-shot-procedure: We had exactly no errors and so we could in fact close down the UBB-platform at once using phpBB instead right from the start after converting.

Thanks to you for that great convertor

rgds

Johnny

farzadb

Post by farzadb » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:04 pm

GUI, thanks for all your hard work in building this convertor.

The download links are broken and I was wondering if anyone has an alternate download link or if someone could email me the zip file: farzad@email.com

Thanks.

Laeren

Post by Laeren » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:14 pm

I have a ton of old UBB stuff, but I've also got phpBB forums, of which I don't want to lose anything.

How can I get the old UBB stuff to come into phpBB without losing all of my "new" stuff?

Any help is much appreciated - thanks!

koulouty

Post by koulouty » Wed May 07, 2003 4:23 am

I keep timing out at random spots, regardless of the limit settings I choose.

I've even set my timeout to 9999999999.

If it means anything, I'm running UBB 5.45c and i do get non-fatal errors about not being able to open *.counter files when I set the limits small enough and convert the first few blocks of messages.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've narrowed it down to message 210-220. What would have to be wrong with a message to cause the time out?

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”