Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Nemisis7654

Re: Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

Post by Nemisis7654 »

Yeah, I figured it out. :p

Thanks anyway!
!~!~stormBoards now available~!~!

http://stormboards.aaronnemisis.com
Rolof

Post by Rolof »

Hi,

I've installed phpbb on my own server, and would like to copy a proboards forum toward it. However, when I download the tool, there is no proboard-folder?

Thanks for any help.

Gr, Rolof

Edit: never mind, found it.
vkmaxx

Post by vkmaxx »

Any news on phpBB2 fora.pl crawler :geek: ?
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Oh, I'm sorry; I forgot about it, but I had some spare time today so I coded it up.

It is currently still very much a beta program. However, it should be capable of performing the conversion correctly.

One problem is the character set. If you use the Polish language pack on the destination forum, though, you should not have any issues with this.

The converter is attached. Make sure to follow the instructions (particularly choosing English and setting the time format to "U")

EDIT: Also note that I have not yet tested a full conversion against a phpBB2 installation; such a test should be done in a few hours.

EDIT2: Test is done, everything looks OK.
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
SgtNitro

Post by SgtNitro »

Tried to convert an Invisionfree board today, but while members_phpBB.py works fine, topics_posts_phpBB.py only outputs a file named settings.pyc. Any ideas?
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Does a console window appear? It should produce some output on the console.

If it does not, then you might have a bug in settings.py.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
SgtNitro

Post by SgtNitro »

One pops up, but it closes before I can read it and I haven't been able to figure out how to either make it stick around or produce a txt log of the contents.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Two things you can try:
1) Start -> Run -> cmd, then type "cd " (without quotes, with the trailing space), drag the Invisionfree folder into the console window, then hit Enter; finally, type in topics_posts_phpBB.py. The error should appear.
Or,
2) Edit common.py and, under

Code: Select all

from time import sleep
add

sys.stderr=file('critical_error.log','a')
This will catch most errors (but it cannot catch errors that occur before <common> is loaded).

Also, what version of the converters do you have? The newest is 0.2.0 for Invisionfree.
SgtNitro

Post by SgtNitro »

nneonneo wrote:Two things you can try:
1) Start -> Run -> cmd, then type "cd " (without quotes, with the trailing space), drag the Invisionfree folder into the console window, then hit Enter; finally, type in topics_posts_phpBB.py. The error should appear.
That did it... Wasn't able to access common.py because I'd only extracted the Invisionfree folder instead of the whole archive. :roll:

Problem solved!
rdwh

Post by rdwh »

sorry if already asked, is there a way to run this on a Yuku free board to go to phpbb3
DeadTaco

Post by DeadTaco »

Amazing work! I successfully transferred my suddenlaunch forums to PHPBB3. It worked pretty much flawlessly, except for a few caveats. It didn't send my members a personal message with their new passwords, and when they connect to my new forums and click on 'forgot password', it doesn't recognize their user names and won't send a new password to them. This isn't a huge deal since I am having members email me to have their accounts reset.

However, the biggest flaw I found is that it is only receiving 20 topics per category, and ignoring the rest. Suddenlaunch doesn't have an option to show more topics per category, unfortunately, so I don't know of any way to get it to get more topics. Is there any way around this?
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

...oops.

I had a little copy-paste error in the code.

Open the script in your favorite text editor (except Notepad, since the code will look very strange in Notepad)

Replace

URL+'?board='+board+'&page='+str(offset)
by

URL+'?board='+board+'&start='+str((offset-1)*20)
Hope that helps.

As for why PMs don't work, I actually do not know why that is the case. I have tested it and it works for me.

Have you tried the passwords in pm_passwords.txt? Those are the autogenerated passwords, and they *should* work.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Anyway, I've also uploaded a new PM module. The settings.py file hasn't changed, so you can just copy over the other files while keeping your settings.py. The new PM module has better error reporting, so it should be able to catch cases of invalid PMs or other errors from SuddenLaunch.
DrDaxxy

Post by DrDaxxy »

Hi,
I thought about writing such a converter, but then I googled and I found this. Great work man!
However, two suggestions: You could suggest the users to use XML templates on forums which support custom templates for easier crawling and less bandwidth usage (=less attention by the hosting service and faster importing). And the PMs could be imported by logging in to the admin panel, changing the users' passwords and then logging in with every single user.
Of course sending users their new passwords per PM wouldn't work then, but you can always email them - especially since that again checks if the users' email adresses are valid.
What do you think about it?
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

First point: the XML templates: it is a good idea, but I do not want users to do any more work than is necessary. Unfortunately, I am not too sure which forums actually allow you to change the basic layout of the post data (many allow changing CSS, header, footer, etc., but I doubt any of these hosts allow you to actually change the HTML presentation, which is all that matters for my converter)

Second point: Proboards allows one PM backup per person per month (?) so most people will still have access to their PMs. Changing board passwords will likely inconvenience the majority of folks who will undoubtedly still need to access something on the old board, be it an unconverted post, the "we've moved" notification, or something else. E-mail could be a secondary solution, though, to ensure everyone does receive their new passwords and that their e-mails are valid (some of my converters don't pull every e-mail because of restrictions, e.g. some forums have a e-mail user form instead of a direct link to their address because of spam reasons)

So, I don't think I will implement these suggestions as they may be more troublesome to users and admins, but if it turns out that this is what people want, then I will do it. If you are proficient in Python, PHP, XML/XHTML or anything else that would be relevant, you are welcome to modify and redistribute the converters, so long as you give me credit for the original.

And by all means, please do make suggestions. I can't guarantee I will implement them, but I will consider them (especially improvements to converter usability!)

Thanks!

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”