Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Burbruee

Re: Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

Post by Burbruee »

Actually, the host is my own, but I haven't touched many of the default settings. So if you know what needs to be changed on the server, I could do that.

Otherwise, I could try to redump it like you said.
Hm, how do I figure out what encoding is used on the forum?
EDIT: I think it uses latin1 and mysql uses utf-8..
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

On your server, try "max_allowed_packet" in mysql.ini. It should be at least 4M, though for safety you can set it to (at least) the size of the file. See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ ... large.html. Note that anything regarding "mysqld" refers to the server, not the mysql client.

On Invisionfree, if there isn't a <meta> tag with the encoding in it, try checking the character encoding setting in your browser (at least, what it autodetects as). It's probably ISO-8859-1 (cp1252/latin1), so add a line to the beginning:

Code: Select all

SET CHARACTER SET latin1;
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
Burbruee

Post by Burbruee »

Importing worked now, but I still haven't been able to solve the encoding problem.

When I first created the database I even did:

CREATE DATABASE phpbb CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;
Then added what you said, SET CHARACTER SET latin1 at the top of the sql-file.
Imported it with

mysql -p --default-character-set=latin1 phpbb2 < topics_posts_phpBB.sql
Result: http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/817/forumoj4.jpg
Well, not only is the characters not being displayed correctly, linebreaks do not work, (related I guess) the whole layout get's destroyed, maybe also because of the charset?

Also quotes are not working (adds "quote:d30223329cd=NAME" etc. And lastly some topics with a lot of pages do not work.
An example is a topic with 80 pages, forst few pages work fine, but if you try to go to the last couple of pages in the topic it will say that it doesn't exist.

So, as you can see I have a LOT of issues here, and I have no idea where to start. :D

EDIT: I fixed the charaters problem! It was in my php.ini. :roll:
I set the default charset to latin1 there, and then it worked.

However, the layout is still broken, same with linebreaks and quotes too and some pages don't work. :(
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Could I trouble you for direct links which demonstrate each problem? I can't understand Swedish, and I can't immediately see problems in the threads I visited :(
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
Burbruee

Post by Burbruee »

Oh, sure.

http://centumion.pointclark.net/phpBB2/ ... ic.php?t=4
As you can see, the layout is broken, but more importantly look at post #7, the one with coloured text in it.
There are no linebreaks, everything is written on a single line.

Also if you look a couple of posts up you'll see [quote:c2b6bfd8f3=Crike], I don't know where those random numbers come from but I don't think they're supposed to be there?

My main goal is to go from InvisionFree > phpBB2 > InvisionBoard, phpbb2 is just a middle thing so that I can use the official invision converter.

Here is the same topic after converted with the invision converter:
http://centumion.pointclark.net/forum/i ... =0&start=0

Again, linebreaks is not working, could it be because I used python on my windows box to crawl invisionfree and then ftp'd it over to my linuxbox (server) ?

EDIT: Links offline.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

That broken quote is actually the cause of the broken layout. The post has an unclosed span tag, which SHOULD have been caught by the BBCode converter. I'll need to see the original topic (which might be hard, as the IF board is closed :-\)

For Post #7, I see four lines. Line breaks do seem to be working (did you fix it?)

Anyway, the major problem, the quote, can be fixed by hand-editing each post, unless you can find me the original IF topic so I can fix my converter (which would be preferable :))

I'm surprised all the quotes are broken, though...I suspect the quote bug and the missing-posts bug are related. I can't reproduce either of them on my test forum :(
Burbruee

Post by Burbruee »

Yep, I fixed the linebug. It was like I suspected, a problem caused by running the python script on a windows box and then moving it to the server. (server was offline at the moment)

So, right now all is working except the quotes. On InvisionBoard quotes show up, but because of the :b46456=USERNAME etc it does not say by whom or the time. I started editing the .sql file manually and searching for every instance of "quote:" but figured it would take way too long to edit them out by hand.. :mrgreen:

I think we'll just leave it as it is for know with halfbroken quotes. We really want to get this running as soon as possible, and as of right now the only thing left is forum and user permisssion and things like that.
There is no broken layout after using the IP.Converter to convert from phpBB2 > InvisionBoard, just the quote thing.

So I think we're happy now, thanks for a great crawler script! :D
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

I'm feeling really stupid right now. After doing some testing, it turns out that I was forgetting my quotes around the author, causing phpBB2 to fail to parse the data!

The fix is exceedingly simple, and consists of changing the line

quotedata+='='+x[0]
to

quotedata+='="'+x[0]+'"'
Sorry about that :(

EDIT: Huh, that's odd; the missing posts seem to have been converted to Invisionboard correctly...

EDIT2: Oh, they're guest posts....they should've worked...

EDIT3: ...but they didn't, because I made another error -- I used guest ID 0 instead of -1 as it should be.

UPDATE `phpbb_posts` SET poster_id=-1 WHERE poster_id=0;
aarondwyer

Post by aarondwyer »

This is an excellent script that worked first time for me.

Thank you so much for posting it.

I'm now down to working out how do I get the topic view counts out of the old forum and into the new one.

I'm converting an invisionfree board to PHPbb2 then on converting that to PHPbb3

I don't want to do this manually since there is a _lot_ of topics.

Has anyone thought of enhancing or have already enhanced the script to create a new python script to scrape just topic view counts.

I'd be very interested in a solution to this.

Thanks
Aaron
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

In fact, the updated converter I just posted does exactly that :)
aarondwyer

Post by aarondwyer »

Downloaded your new version. Wow is all I can say.

Great job, worked first time, collected everything even created the categories and forums that I needed to make by hand just 2 days ago.

I did have an issue with the members script not collecting email addresses (it only got one converted ok), but since I only had 48 members I inserted email addresses manually.

Invision Free to PHPBB2 then do a standard conversion to PHPBB3. 48 members and 19,000 posts

With this tool, just to easy. Thank you for your very hard work that you've put into this.

Aaron
vkmaxx

Post by vkmaxx »

If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one
I would like to Crawler fora.pl forum (phpbb2 based). Can I use "Forumotion" version or do I need a dedicated version?

Here's the link:
http://www.posel.fora.pl/
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

The Forumotion converter is meant for Forumotion in phpBB3 mode only; it has code to deal with specific modifications made to phpBB3 by Forumotion.

I will consider making a specific converter for fora.pl; it should not be too difficult to modify off the existing converters.
Nemisis7654

Post by Nemisis7654 »

I just ran it, and everything worked to perfection (the forums, topics, categories, posts and members transferred great) except one thing. I can't seem to loggin. I don't think the passwords generated properly. When I run the pm_passwords.py file, the box flashes then goes off screen, for like a split second. And I receive no PMs...Can you help me out?
!~!~stormBoards now available~!~!

http://stormboards.aaronnemisis.com
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

You might have a problem with the PM settings. You should just be able to open pm_passwords.txt to determine your password.

If you cannot figure it out, PM me the PM settings you are using (that portion of settings.py).

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”