Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Chris73

Re: Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

Post by Chris73 »

Umm, no. :oops:
So after I import the sql files, I have to go into the admin panel and click the "resync" next to each topic?
I did see that last night, and did it to about 4 topics, and then checked if I could view them, but I still couldn't. Maybe once I do it to ALL topics it should show them all ok? :?:

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

There's a resync button next to each topic? You definitely don't need to resync every topic. Using the admin panel, resync every forum.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.

Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

OK, it's all on my home computer. (at work right now). I'll have a look again tonight and see if I can sort it. I'll get back to you if I have more trouble. Thanks for the help.
Awesome support here man! Thanks! 8-)

Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

OK, got it all over, and all seems to be there, except it hasn't brought over anything after midnight last night, so I guess it must be something to do with data updates or something. I've taken my IF board offline so no more posts can be added, and I'll bring the posts over again tomorrow so it should be complete then.
My only issue remaining now, is that some topics seem to have the first few posts set out in a narrow table, then it switches to a table that takes the whole widfth of the screen. Also, some of them have very small text, whilst others are normal size. Any idea why this might be? For example: http://www.straightandleveldownunder.ne ... php?t=1254
Will it fix itself when I convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3? (That's my next step!)
Thanks.
Chris

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

The first problem -- missing posts after midnight -- sounds like what would happen if a "Today" date was implemented. If your Invisionfree forum shows dates as "Today" rather than the actual date, it would be a good idea to change that if possible.

The second problem looks like an incomplete BBCode conversion. Some HTML made its way into the post data, and it happened to close the table enclosing the posts. I'm guessing it's from the quote -- you can see an open quote tag, but no close quote tag. This shouldn't be hard to fix, but since I can't reproduce the problem, I'll need a link to your Invisionfree forum.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.

Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

OK thanks.
Here is a link to the IF board. http://s7.invisionfree.com/Straight_and_Level/

The board is currently off line, and members must be registered to view it. I'll enable the guest account so you can have a look around. Guest log in and password are both "visitor" without the quotes. Will you need posting rights? Currently the guest account is only read only.

Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

You may not need to worry. I have discovered that if I click EDIT on a topic that is all messed up, then select SUBMIT without doing any editing, the code sorts itself out. I'll go through and do that to all threads, and then do the convert to phpBB3. I'm guessing there should be no problems with conversion from a working phpBB2 to phpBB3.
Thanks for the help here eh! Awesome support.

Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

It is in a lot of threads where some sort of anomalie has crept into the "[ quote ]" part of the posts.
hitting edit, then submitting seems to fix some, namely those that seem to be missing the "[/quote]" tag, but some display random characters withing the open quote tag like this: "[quote=5a2fgs453gOzChris]".
In cases like this, the random characters do not display when you open the thread for editing, but it is there when you submit the thread and the layout is messed upstill. The solution is to retype the quote opening string without the random characters and it all goes back to normal again. The pain in the butt is that once you fix one, quite often others further down in the thread develop the problem, but as we don't have _that_ many posts, I'll get it donw manually tonight. Hopefully only take an hour or so.
Thanks again.

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Invisionfree, as far as I know, has changed their quoting HTML slowly over the years. Unfortunately, I don't have post data spanning back far enough.

If it were really a huge issue, I'm sure I could write a helper program to automatically update the posts, though it sounds like you have it under control.

I'm sorry to trouble you like this, though. I wish I had a better solution. The random characters you see are part of phpBB's BBCode system.

Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

nneonneo wrote:Invisionfree, as far as I know, has changed their quoting HTML slowly over the years. Unfortunately, I don't have post data spanning back far enough.

If it were really a huge issue, I'm sure I could write a helper program to automatically update the posts, though it sounds like you have it under control.

I'm sorry to trouble you like this, though. I wish I had a better solution. The random characters you see are part of phpBB's BBCode system.
Not for you to apologise mate! Without the proggy you wrote, and the follow up support, I wouldn't have gotten this far at all!
Great job!
Thanks.

gonefishin

Post by gonefishin »

Has anyone else tried this and gotten "Connection Refused" while trying to convert Proboards?

Kat0720

Post by Kat0720 »

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, but...

I'm having some problems with the instructions. I'm not exactly sure how to complete steps 3 and 4...

3) Run the topics_posts.py Python script (Windows: double click it; *nix use "python topics_posts.py" as a command)
-- Er? Just opens up a word pad file...?
4) Execute the SQL batch file (topics_posts.sql) in the forum db
-- Where is this file?

Also, if I have an existing phpbb3 forum that just has empty forums set up, and an InvisionFree forum that needs converting, will the IF forum convert successfully if I follow the steps correctly? And.. will anything affect the IF forum during conversion? Such as the original IF board being deleted, disabled, or redirected to the new one?

If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks!

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Did you install Python? Running the converter (correctly) causes the file in step 4 to be created. If you install Python, it should have a different icon, and open a black console window. If you do have Python installed, try right-click->open with...->Python if it's listed.

If the Invisionfree board is altered while conversion is taking place, the conversion will likely fail. After conversion is done and everything looks good, then you can redirect/delete/close the IF forum.

The IF converter only converts to phpBB2 or SMF, not phpBB3. You need a working installation of phpBB2 first, which you can then upgrade (sorry about the jumping-through-hoops :-\)

If you follow the steps correctly, the conversion should work fine. Step 1 is a bit involved, since you need to manually edit the database to bring the forum IDs in line. The rest is not hard.

Kat0720

Post by Kat0720 »

I'll try that; thanks!

I currently have phpbb3 installed. In order for the conversion to work, should I uninstall phpbb3, install phpbb2 and then upgrade once the conversion is finished?

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Yes, that's what you should probably do.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”