Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Chris73

Re: Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

Post by Chris73 »

Just thought I'd pop back and let you know I did end up getting my conversion completed, with the help you provided, and of course your awesome utility.
I did lose 1 days posts for some reason, and even tried closing the IF forum to disable posting for 24 hours, then tried the conversion again. Still did not pick up the last days post even though it was almost 48 hours after they were posted. Luckily 1 days posts only meant maybe 20 posts, so we just cut our loss and lived with it. We're now back up and running 100%, and loving it. Thanks again!
(only annoying thing was any posts made by any old members that are no longer m,embers, show in the post count, but don't display in the forum at all. No real biggy, just causes some conversation continuity issues. I know there's nothing that can be done about it.)

roth

Post by roth »

Hi and thank you so much for this effort.

Everything seems to be working ok but...

When the import is happening I keep getting:

Processing step 5 of 42
Error: topic is empty

This happens after it enumerates sometimes 5 pages for a topic. The only ones that sometimes are getting through are about 13 posts or less...

phpBB 3, upgraded proboards board... If you could help it would be great and I thank you.

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

I'm not too sure what the problem could be. I don't have an upgraded board to test with, so I'm not able to reproduce the issue.

If you could PM me a board URL (don't post it please), I may be able to help.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.

roth

Post by roth »

SOLVED! Thank you my friend.

Admin must set profile date format to mm/dd/yyyy

kalos

Post by kalos »

Which version of Python was used for the script? And has anyone experienced any problems with directly converting to 3.0.1? Thanks preemptively.

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

The script has been tested to work with 2.5, 2.5.1 and 2.5.2.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.

kalos

Post by kalos »

Thanks; I'm running 2.5.2 under Linux and just wanted to make sure everything was fine. :)

kalos

Post by kalos »

Okay, I do have one question. I'm editing settings.py and I noticed there is a part that says the following:

Code: Select all

# This variable is a "map" of Proboards board shortnames to board passwords.
# Put the shortname followed by the password, both in single quotes.
BOARDPASSWORDS={'passwordboard':'secret','password2':'verysecret'}
I assume that this is only for boards that are password protected from viewing? If I go in and remove the passwords from protected boards, can I just comment out this line in the script? If not, what should be done if there are no password protected boards? If I'm completely wrong about this line, please correct me.

Thanks preemptively

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

If there are no password-protected boards, just leave it blank:

Code: Select all

BOARDPASSWORDS={}
Commenting it out will probably cause the script to fail, since I didn't put any provision for missing configuration variables (though I probably should; it's not hard in Python)

kalos

Post by kalos »

Thanks for the quick response. We have one password protected board, but I'm just going to take the password off for the conversion. Also, do all the fora have to be visible only to the admin during the script running? For instance, we have fora that only moderators can see, some only admins can see, et cetera. If I put the admin login and password in settings.py and that user can see EVERYTHING, is that enough for the script to run properly? OR, do I have to go in and make all the fora visible to everyone (including guests, non-mods, non-admins, et cetera)?

Thanks so much for helping me. I just don't have much experience with python (my expertise is in PHP, BASH, and C) so I want to be sure of how the python script will react to my assumptions.:ugeek:

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

The script "sees" exactly what the username/password combination allows it to see. If the user can see every topic, then the script downloads every topic (provided I haven't screwed something up and/or Proboards has gone and changed something...)

kalos

Post by kalos »

Sounds good to me then. I will just take the password off of that one board, and everything should be fine. Thanks again for the help, and we shall see how it works tomorrow afternoon.

kalos

Post by kalos »

I got it all figured out. There was a problem initially, but I found out that it was simply a matter of having to trudge forth into permissions hell. ;) Thank you for all your help; you're completely amazing.

mikkelm

Post by mikkelm »

Thanks for the excellent script! Had a bit of trouble migrating Proboards to phpBB3, but migrating to phpBB2 and updating the phpBB installation went smoothly!

If you've got a paypal account, I'd gladly make your work beerware.

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

nneonneo AT gmail DOT com, thanks.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”