Rebuilding search tables in phpbb 2.0.4 / Server Load

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
vHiker

Rebuilding search tables in phpbb 2.0.4 / Server Load

Post by vHiker »

Since 2.0.4 was released, it seems to be taking about 5 TIMES LONGER to rebuild the search tables! I'm wondering if other converter authors are experiencing this issue. The only real change I made to the code to rebuild the search tables in 2.0.4 was this:

Code: Select all

if ($phpbb_version < 204)
{
	add_search_words($post_id, stripslashes($post_text), stripslashes($post_title));
}
else
{
	add_search_words('global', $post_id, stripslashes($post_text), stripslashes($post_title));
}
I am pretty sure I have done this correctly. It looks like 2.0.4 fixed a bug with search_stopwords and added an index to one of the search tables, but neither of these explain why it is resulting in 5X the server load!!! I believe this is a significant server load issue that the phpbb developers need to be aware of, but I would like confirmation from other converter authors.

BTW, I wrote a special javascript version to automatically restart the rebuild process when it times out so that the user doesn't have to keep restarting it. This was necessary because some folks couldn't even get it to do 50 posts before timing out! This was never an issue prior to 2.0.4.
Night4554

Post by Night4554 »

Whenever I tried to rebuild the search index i would screw up the boards. I gave up. You have a method that works?
vHiker

Post by vHiker »

Yes it is a separate php script that is included in the Ikonboard 3.x converter zip file.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20282
Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs »

Haven't tried test-driven it on a large board lately, so I cannot say I've seen this behavior...
I'm really interested if anyone has a possible explanation.
phpBB Converter Team Member
Developer of the vBulletin 2.x.x -> phpBB 2.0.x Converter
See Matthijs.net for more info

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”