Convert from yahoo group to phpbb

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
tomkenae

Convert from yahoo group to phpbb

Post by tomkenae »

is it possible to move a forum from yahoo to phpbb2 or version 3 and if so were can i get more information about how to do this.
Last edited by Jim_UK on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited to better show what the request is.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: moving from yahoo to phpbb

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

tomkenae wrote:is it possible to move a forum from yahoo to phpbb2 or version 3 and if so were can i get more information about how to do this.
what does that mean?

do you have a phpbb forum on a yahoo account?

please explain exactly what you currently have ( with a link if possible ) and exactly what you want.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
tomkenae

Post by tomkenae »

I have searched every were but cant find any information about how to do this the best information i could find is the post bellow can anyone let me know if they have any more suggestions.

Yahoo Group Conversion Journey

by grog00 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:00 pm
Painful, absolutely painful, and I'm not all the way there yet. Hopefully somebody can help me with a few final details and hopefully my story to date will help others trying to move their Yahoo Group messages to phpbb.

Or, you can contact Wilson Logan (wilson.logan (at) ntlworld.com) who has indicated in another thread that he's developed a converter/migrator. I'm taking a dual track approach here attempting to do it myself but also contacting Wilson. The time lag between him and me might determine who's solution works first. And obviously Wilson will charge you for this although I don't know what that charge is. However, I'm sure it's more than worth it, particularly if you're like me and have 6 years of Yahoo Group data that you don't want to lose.

First, I do not run phpmyadmin. I can't get it to work. However, I can get MySql-Front to work locally AND on the web server. I'll come back to that.

First step: download PG Offline (http://www.pgoffline.com which is another of Wilson's products) and install it using defaults. You will be prompted for you yahoogroup userid and password. Enter that. Then go to GROUPS-GET GROUPS LIST. This will show the yahoogroups you belong to. Select the one you want, click OK and the rest is pretty straightforward. PG Offline will download every yahoogroup message in the group you select. Once that's done, go to FILE-EXPORT TO FOLDER and select the database you want (should only be one assuming you only downloaded one yahoogroup) and it'll create an M$ Access database.

Second step: Download Access2MySql Sync (http://www.data-conversions.net/access-to-mysq ... erter.html). Install as instructed. Follow the program's wizard, it's very easy and select the M$ Access database you created in the First Step as the database you want to convert and convert it.

Third step: Here's where I'm hitting a wall. I'm assuming that folks familiar with phpmyadmin can now figure out a way to merge the MySql database created in the Second Step with your pre-existing phpbb database and presto, you're Yahoo Group messages are now residing in your forum. Since I'm using MySql-Front, I'm uncertain how to proceed. I can access the local and web-based databases but need instructions on how to use MySql-Front to merge the local (Yahoo Group) database into the web (phpbb) database.

If such a merging can be done in the Third Step, this should be a fairly straightforward way to migrate/convert your Yahoo Group.

scott
tomkenae

Post by tomkenae »

I have a group on yahoogroups that i would like to convert to phpbb if that is possible.

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
tomkenae wrote:is it possible to move a forum from yahoo to phpbb2 or version 3 and if so were can i get more information about how to do this.
what does that mean?

do you have a phpbb forum on a yahoo account?

please explain exactly what you currently have ( with a link if possible ) and exactly what you want.

robert
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

I have moved your topic to convertors in the hope that you may get a positive answer.
I don't ever recall seeing this asked for before but you never know.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: Convert from yahoo group to phpbb

Post by D¡cky »

I think pgoffline is your best bet. There is a free trial version which, as I recall, is enough to do the conversion.

Another possibility is if you have an archive of all the emails on your computer. You could use an email conversion program to convert the emails to a csv file and then import into phpBB2.

Here is another possibility for a convertor, yahoo2mbox

There are a couple of programs that integrate Yahoo! Groups with phpBB2. I don't know if these programs grab all messages from the beginning or if they just get the ones since you integrated the program,
Mail2Forum
CM2F
Have you hugged someone today?
tomkenae

Post by tomkenae »

if i use pgoffline and convert the access database in to msql how do i then add the information in to phpbb?
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

I don't know of any tools available to convert the MySQL pgoffline database to phpBB MySQL database. You will have to write your own convertor. You can use the UCS Convertor or you might be able to export the MSACCESS database into a csv file and then use a combination of Import Tools and Insert Post to import the csv file into the phpBB database.
Have you hugged someone today?
humble.techy

Post by humble.techy »

I have written archiving the yahoo group messages through php and it is up and running here http://www.ponniyinselvan.net, I am trying to convert the yahoo group messages to phpbb3 and have it run parallely for sometime if the members are comfortable, then I will move to phpbb3.

The archiver dumps the message into mysql database in my own format, these are the steps I do

1. small php to check for new messages to mail account to which the new mails will be delivered. if yes return status code 1.
2. shell script will run the above php and invoke the archive php through wget
3. the phpcode log into yahoo, go to last message, see if 'Next' link is available, if yes then get the raw mail code, format it for web, dump into the database.

I earlier was maintaining svn repository, but the domain is gone, if you are interested, I can share the code, it is written for CakePHP framework, but should work with little tweaks if you want to use with someother framework or standalone.
lombana

Post by lombana »

I have my yahoo group saved in individual messages in Microsoft Outlook, is it possible for your mod to take individual messages from Outlook or a CSV file created from the Outlook folder and import that into a PHPBB group?

Let me know because I have roughly 1000 messages packed in a CSV file that I need to import into PHPBB and this may be a helpful way of doing it.

Miguel

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”