Please post links to multi-lingual boards.

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ohiotech

Please post links to multi-lingual boards.

Post by ohiotech » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:20 pm

If you have a bulletin board that uses multiple language packs, or has been custom modified to work with several different languages (3 or more), I would like to see a post placed in this thread.

Maybe what I'm asking for in http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 761#525761 is more difficult that what might already be implimented out there. Why reinvent the wheel when I can rideshare?

M :D

Fozza

Post by Fozza » Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:49 pm

Hi!

My board works with English, traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese (And accepts any unicode language input)

How me and some others worked out how to do it is detailed in this thread

ohiotech

Thanks

Post by ohiotech » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:48 pm

Fozza, Thanks!

Actually, the fact that you not only post your board, but you post your solution to make it works is even better. I hope that others do the same. Actually, based on your board, and a couple of others that I've found through research, I'm going to be hard at work - between unicoding them all and getting the various versions to work together... and to try to do most of it from the initial page, I'm going to be quite busy.

Thanks again. Hope to offer the community what they're offering me when I'm all done here.

M

hayk

Post by hayk » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:39 pm

The Armenian forums works with three languages: English, Russian(UTF-8), Armenian (UTF-8), but can accept any unicode (UTF-8) language input.

konglong

English - Simp. Chinese - Trad. Chinese

Post by konglong » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:11 pm

My board is set up with UTF-8. Guests are also able to switch the board language before off the main page before they even have to register. This helps those who are not English natives. If anyone would like the unicode language files, send me a PM. I would be glad to send them to you.

Files converted to UTF8 in language\lang_chinese_traditional<simplified>_unicode\ folders:

lang_admin.php
lang_bbcode.php
lang_faq.php
lang_main.php (Be sure to change the encoding line to: $lang['ENCODING'] = 'utf-8';])

Each one of this file needs to have the line: Charset: utf-8 instead of iso/big5/gb

email\admin_activate.tpl
email\admin_send_email.tpl
email\admin_welcome_activated.tpl
email\admin_welcome_inactive.tpl
email\coppa_welcome_inactive.tpl
email\group_added.tpl
email\group_approved.tpl
email\group_request.tpl
email\privmsg_notify.tpl
email\profile_send_email.tpl
email\topic_notify.tpl
email\user_activate.tpl
email\user_activate_passwd.tpl
email\user_welcome.tpl
email\user_welcome_inactive.tpl

Huanying Guanglin

plaidicon

A UTF-8 version of phpBB forums

Post by plaidicon » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:30 am

Perhaps this would be a good time to begin work on a UTF-8 version/ option of phpBB forums. A forward-looking & truely international version of this elegant software, phpBB.

UTF-8 converted language kits
1. "UTF-8" charset meta tagging
$lang['ENCODING'] = 'utf-8';
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
2. files to be re-recoded/saved in UTF-8 with a text editor like unicode based EMEditor available as demo which can be used indefinately(I registered after using for over a year) with useful Reload in Different Code Page function.

if browsers often autodetect UTF-8 character set, else browsers to be manually set to "Unicode (UTF8)" default. endif

Databases & UTF-8 - Where posts to DB, default encoding/character set in DB, and retreive DB data in UTF-8.

Cookie setting in UTF-8 forums can produce anomalies.

Searching & form string length allotment & trimming in multilingual DB-forums can produce anomalies.

Plaidicon

zaizai

Post by zaizai » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:57 am

Fozza wrote: Hi!

My board works with English, traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese (And accepts any unicode language input)

How me and some others worked out how to do it is detailed in this thread

Ohh, thanks, that's very useful as I am trying to work out how to do the same myself. I will take a look!
zaizai

zaizai

nearly there!

Post by zaizai » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:04 pm

Fozza, I have looked at your thread, and it's very helpful! I downloaded your recoded language files too (on this page) and installed them in my freshly installed forum, seems to work so far! but there are some question...

When the forum view is set to English, the Chinese characters are still not displayed in the thread title correctly. They seem to work everywhere else, just not in the thread titles... ><

When the board is set to Chinese view:
- Chinese writing posted when in Chinese view only can view in title correctly
- Chinese writing posted when in English view cannot be view (appears as some "&#----;")

When the board is set to English view:
- Chinese writing posted when in Chinese ciew cannot be view (appears as "中国")
- Chinese writing posted when in English view cannot be view (appears as "&#----;")

I only seem to be having the problem in the texts for the thread titles, the rest is working perfectly!

Also, is there a way to view the Chinese character with the forum having an English view (style?).

If you want to visit the forum, it is http://members.lycos.co.uk/howard81/forum/

It's only there for me to get used to it working at the moment, so feel free to join and post some thread to see what I mean...

thank you~~ :D
zaizai

pchowla

Just live with it??

Post by pchowla » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:40 am

zaizai,

This is exactly where I am. And I managed to get here without changing any of the templates... ;)

I am afraid that as of now there is no solution beyound this. Users just have to be conscious of what their language and default views are and post accordingly. I dont know of another way to deal with it.

Pehaps fozza can once again advise us on this...

-Peter

Fozza

Post by Fozza » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:28 am

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply - I've been very busy with other things in July. I think you are both nearly there...

Zaizai, I have looked at your board and I think the problem is that the content of the pages has been converted to unicode (using the files you got from my website) but the page encoding is still set to "charset=iso-8859-1" ... you need to change this to unicode as well, otherwise the text you input will be stored in the wrong format (which is what you are seeing)

My solution was already posted in the other thread, I'll copy it below so you can see it easily.

I hope this helps you both... good luck! :D

Fozza

Post by Fozza » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:28 am

Ok, here is what I did to get my board to work in unicode (If you accept it will not work with the search function and some databases apparently) So now I can view chinese text fine, and the English text users are not affected.

All you need to do is edit two template files (No PHP knowledge required :)). The two files are used on most of the pages to produce the HTML header. They are (for example, using the subsilver template)

1) templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl
2) templates/subSilver/simple_header.tpl

Just open both files in a text editor. Close to the top of the file, you should be able to see the following line:

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}"  />
Change the part reading:

charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}"  
to

charset=utf-8"
Repeat for the other template file (And then for any other templates your board uses) and Voila! ... multi-character set board 8)

As Dirk_san found out, you will need to change the language files to use unicode too (If your board users will not use the english board text)

Hope this helps!

frankc

I 've tried it .

Post by frankc » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:00 pm

I tried it in gb2312 , it cant work at all.

frankc

So i think ,it is the server's problem.

Post by frankc » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:01 pm

I cant change it .

zaizai

Post by zaizai » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:27 pm

thank you !!! It seems to be working perfectly now *fingers crossed*. I think maybe pbpBB should put link to your post in FAQ, very helpful indeed :lol:
zaizai

frankc

I do it

Post by frankc » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:01 am

don't change any thing , only open all files in UltraEdit and convert them to Unicode (ASCII to Unicode) , upload them ,everything is ok!

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”