phpBB moves source code versioning from Subversion to Git

Read me first before posting anywhere!
Subscribe to the feed, available in Image Atom or Image RSS format.
Scam Warning
naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

phpBB moves source code versioning from Subversion to Git

Post by naderman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:24 am

Hello,

The phpBB development team would like to inform our users of a major change concerning the development infrastructure of phpBB. As you may well know phpBB has used Subversion for version control since January 2008, at that time we moved away from CVS which had been used since the project started. Effective from 1st March Subversion is no longer being used as the version control system of phpBB itself, we are now using Git with the main repository being hosted on GitHub.

This change doesn't concern end users who currently do not follow development, but users who use our Subversion repository need to be aware of these changes.

The development team had been looking at moving to a distributed version control system for a number of months, out of the candidates Git has always been the forerunner and we feel it has the best community and support to meet our needs for the coming years. Using a distributed version control system allows for greater community coding participation, meaning people outside the development team can easily develop their ideas for phpBB and contribute them back with greater ease.

Now we are aware Git has a steep learning curve, one which we are dealing with ourselves. One thing going for Subversion was that it is incredibly simple to use, as such we provide a read-only Subversion mirror of the phpBB repository for those of you who use Subversion for managing your sites and MODs. The Subversion URL has not been changed, all commits are now forwarded from Git. To facilitate the learning of this new version control system, and ensure the developers don't do anything daft, we have a number of Git related resources on our wiki. Git We are looking forward to your contributions!

Finally, we'd like to thank David Soria Parra for his assistance during the migration and continued support with all Git related queries.
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Re: phpBB moves source code versioning from Subversion to Gi

Post by naderman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:28 am

Please discuss this announcement in the discussion topic.
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

Return to “Announcements”