We are very pleased to announce the availability of the phpBB3 RC5 package. This is the fifth (and hopefully last) release candidate which is meant to become the Gold release if no more critical problems arise.
For release candidates full support is given, allowing language packs as well as modifications and styles. We only give support to those having a clean RC installation or updates from previous release candidates. Previous conversions or updates from betas will not be supported here. We encourage only those running the release candidates wanting to test out the new version, it is still recommended to wait for the full release; after all this is a release candidate.
Please also note that we urge you to update - we only support the latest version. Bug reports submitted for previous releases will be closed as well as only the latest version being supported here.
RC5 has seen some improvements as well as fixing some critical bugs. Some important fixes are for example:
- [Feature] New constant PHPBB_EMBEDDED can be used to let phpBB not call exit; if wrapped/embedded (We may re-check this constant on other code locations later too)
- [Feature] append_sid() having a check for the function append_sid_phpbb_hook(). This function is called in favour of append_sid() with the exact same parameters if present.
- [Feature] Add "DECIMAL:", "PDECIMAL", and "PDECIMAL:" to the schema creation code (Bug #13999) - patch provided by poyntesm
- [Feature] Display message history in compose PM screen
- [Change] Made group avatar/rank changes more intuitive
- [Change] Do not force login on visiting topic/forum from notification emails (Bug #13818)
- [Change] For new posts or editing the first post topic titles have a maxlength of 60 characters. For any subsequent posts the length is extended to 64 to make room for the Re: part, but cutting at 60 characters. The maxlength need to be 64, else users using opera are unable to post (opera does not allow pre-filling a field with more characters than specified within the maxlength attribute)
- [Change] Added a filter for user objects to LDAP configuration and improved explanations (Bug #12627)
- [Fix] Properly display ban reason if selecting banned entries within the ACP (Bug #13896)
- [Fix] Properly parse SQL expressions for Oracle (Bug #13916)
- [Fix] Display locked icon in viewforum/prosilver if forum locked (Bug #14009)
- [Fix] Fixed cron_lock value for cron execution. This bug led to users having problems with the email queue and other cron related issues.
- [Fix] Prevent white pages on php notices with gzip compression enabled (Bug #14096)
- [Fix] Let the theme immediately expire if changed from ACP for at least 30 minutes after change
- [Fix] If sending PM's to groups only include activated member (Bug #14040)
- [Fix] Correctly wrap words in emails containing utf8 characters (Bug #14109)
- [Fix] Disable gzip compression for cached stylesheet for Internet Explorer 6 or empty browser (IE6 is not able to properly display the compressed stylesheet) (Bug #14054)
- [Fix] Header icons fixed in FF for RTL languages (Bug #14084)
- [Fix] Allow line breaks in custom BBCodes (Bug #10758)
- [Fix] Convert 2.0 moderator posting permissions (Bug #14105)
- [Fix] odbc_autocommit causing existing result sets to be dropped (Bug #14182)
Please refer to the changelog for a complete list of fixes since RC4:
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... &version=3
A short explanation of how to do a conversion, installation or update is included within the provided INSTALL.html file, please be sure to read it. If you want to be on the safe side we suggest still waiting for later releases before you fully convert your 2.0.x installation.
phpBB3 has a few requirements which must be met before you are able to install and use it.
- A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System with support for PHP
- A SQL database system, one of:
- MySQL 3.23 or above (MySQLi supported)
- PostgreSQL 7.3+
- SQLite 2.8.2+
- Firebird 2.0+
- MS SQL Server 2000 or above (directly or via ODBC)
- PHP 4.3.3+ (>=4.3.3, >4.4.x, >5.x.x, >6.0-dev (compatible)) with support for the database you intend to use.
- getimagesize() function need to be enabled
- These optional presence of the following modules within PHP will provide access to additional features, but they are not required.
- zlib Compression support
- Remote FTP support
- XML support
- Imagemagick support
- GD Support
The presence of each of these optional modules will be checked during the installation process.
Security issues found should be reported to our security tracker in the usual way.
If you experience problems with the automatic update (white screens, timeouts, etc.) we recommend using the "changed files only" or "patch" method for updating.
With this release, there are four packages available.
- Full Package
Contains entire phpBB3 source and english language files.
- Changed Files Only
Contains only those files changed from previous versions of phpBB3. Please note this archive contains changed files for each previous release.
- Patch Files
Contains patch compatible patches from previous versions of phpBB3.
- Automatic Update Package
Update package for the automatic updater, containing the changes from previous release to this release.
Please ensure you read the INSTALL and README documents in docs/ before proceeding with installation, updates or conversions!.
The automatic update package does not include the file includes/utf/data/recode_cjk.php. If you use a SJIS encoding or a variant you should replace this file manually with the version included within the full package.
- phpBB Downloads
- phpBB3 development section
- phpBB3 Documentation
- phpBB3 support forum
- phpBB3 bug tracker
- phpBB3 Coding Guidelines
- phpBB3 Sourcecode Documentation
Have fun with the release,
the phpBB Team