Simply Merge Threads

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
52%
Very Good
20%
Good
11%
Fair
5%
Poor
12%

Total votes: 124

Timofey

Post by Timofey »

In merge.php find:

Code: Select all

// synchronise the destination topic, and the both forums
Before add:

// update the topic title
		if (!empty($topic_title))
		{
			$sql = "UPDATE " . TOPICS_TABLE . " SET topic_title='" . str_replace("\'", "''", $topic_title) . "' WHERE topic_id=$to_topic_id";
			if ( !$db->sql_query($sql) ) message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not update topic title', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
		}
This is part of code from old version merge.php
asigno

Post by asigno »

Can i still use this mod, if i am using a template as it mentions installing to the subsilver directories

Cheers
Alex
Fearless

Post by Fearless »

All mods are designed to be installed on SubSilver. It's up to you to figure out where modifications should go. Templaters can differ so much that it's impossible to apply a mod using a installation script such as Easymod.
His Holiness The Dude

Post by His Holiness The Dude »

I have installed this. It's nice that it adds a merge button at the bottom of the thread page. However, I have had some trouble with it.

1. The new thread name does not work.

2. I have to go find a thread ID in order to merge the two. The select buttons on the merge screen do nothing. When clicked, they return empty results every time.

3. I have no idea what topic list is or why I installed those graphics - there is no topic list that appears anywhere when merging two threads.

4. The directions suck. Sorry to be so blunt, but the directions really, really stink as far as mods go. The FIND: commands have clipped code that does not exist in the files. The author used some sort of tool when viewing the .php files and the .tpl files. There are   entries throughout that do not exist. It took a lot of modification to hammer the stuff in where it goes.

I think when you are told in directions to find a piece of code in an existing PHP file, the code should be quoted verbatim and should actually be findable.

Fix that stuff, and you have a hell of a mod here. Until then, you have accomplished a technical feat of merging to topics together, but the end user is left with a baffling bunch of garbage that really should not have been "released on a one time basis."

Shame on the PHPBB community for allowing this one to go out as ready to go when you cannot even install it from the directions given.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

The new thread name is a known issue, you may read the topic. All the rest is wrong sorry : just try to install it on the only one official pack of phpBB 2.0.6, english and subSilver only : you will find all statements.

To see the list of topic, you have to select a forum on the select screen : obvious isn't it ? :). You have also to verify you didn't screw the tpls while attempting to adapt it to your template if you don't use subSilver (a button not acting is the symptom of this kind of thing). Shame on users that doesn't figure their version of phpBB is no more the official one :).
djwins

Post by djwins »

The mod seems to be working fine except:

When I hit the Select button to go and select a topic, I get a
"No topics or posts met your search criteria" message.

If I hit the Select button after that message appears, then I get the list of topics to choose from.

Any idea where I went wrong?
Thanks!
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Nothing wrong : you have to select a forum in the drop down list to display it : that's almost what you do when hitting select without choosing one (it takes so the first).
His Holiness The Dude

Post by His Holiness The Dude »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: Nothing wrong : you have to select a forum in the drop down list to display it : that's almost what you do when hitting select without choosing one (it takes so the first).

I finally got this to work.

The GUI design needs some help before it is fully useful - so do the directions. The directions do not indicate even a little how to operate the screen that displays after you push select. And it does not operate in a logical fashion.

For those that are wondering:

1. Access merge.php by pushing the >< button at the bottom of the screen when viewing the contents of a thread. You cannot access it from anywhere else.

2. Three entry boxes appear. In one, you must enter the new topic name (this doesn't work). The next two are for the destination topic and the origination topic that you are going to merge together.

3. If you would rather pick from a list of threads, push the select button to the right of each of the entry boxes.

4. A screen will display that says "No topics or posts met your search criteria".

5. There is a drop down in the upper right of the screen. It is not for changing from the merge function to read a forum. It is for selecting a forum to pull threads from to pick a topic to merge. Choose a forum from the drop down.

6. The forum's thread names will populate the list, replacing the error message.

7. Select which thread you wish to merge.

8. Push the Submit button at the bottom of the screen

9. The ID number of the thread you chose has now been placed in the entry box for you on the previous screen.

This use case scenario should have a step taken out of it. Instead of having a SELECT button that generates an empty screen with an error message, why not simply place the drop down with the forum names to the right of the entry box on the first screen?

Then, the user would follow these steps:

1. Enter merge.php by pushing merge button

2. Enter new thread name

3. Enter the ID number of the thread to merge.

4. If you do not know the ID number, then choose a forum from the drop down on the right to see a list of threads to choose from.

5. Pick a thread.

6. Return to previous screen with thread selected.

7. Merge.

That would be much simpler and cause fewer "errors" where experienced computer professionals and power users would not be hurling rocks at your modification. Returning error messages should never happen in a GUI application unless the user has made a mistake or what they were attempting cannot be accomplished. Errors indicate finality - that one should stop trying and go back to where they came from.

I still say the directions for installing the mod stink. They don't explain how to use the mod once installed. I tried installing it on 2.0.6 unmodified, and the code your mod asks to FIND is not in the code. You must edit out the erroneous characters from your directions to FIND the proper code, or guess at where it should go, as someone has indicated for you above.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

And once again, no : the instruction are all foundable, as easymod find them all. I don't know how you manage to get unfoundable instructs, but you obviously doesn't do the good way (probably your unzipper).

Then, you don't figure that the blank screen is a will, do you ? I preciasly didn't want to show a forum rather than another on purpose, to avoid wrong manipulation : just think 2 second of the action you are performing, you will quickly figure why it wouldn't be a good idea to preload the current forum. I have to remain to you you enter in a moderation action, and so have to check each action you perform, especially on action involving two topics in a destructive way. The rest of the functionnement is really obvious, no need to go too far. Also, GUI talking, a "nothing selected" message is not an error message, until a validation occurs : all messages aren't describing an error, some describe a situation, just like this one. And btw, there is other way to access to the merge screen, starting with direct call to the url.
sothis

Post by sothis »

Am I correct in assuming this does not let you SPLIT topics? I don't want to merge two threads, I just want to move certain posts out of one thread into another. (I want to have one large thread, and move specific posts from it into a locked thread)
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

You are correct : the split action is doable from the standard moderator panel, so there is no need to re-add it into a merge feature (this would be btw the source of numerous error of manipulation) :).
Timofey

Post by Timofey »

His Holiness The Dude wrote: 1. The new thread name does not work.

Hey! Try this: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 737#934737
kaos1984

Post by kaos1984 »

has the old version for 2.0.3 been modified to work with 2.0.6 , i think thats so much easier
pure1

Post by pure1 »

Hello,

I have been having problem with simple merge mod. Did all the changes and uploaded all the required files.

The pic/link (><) on the bottom of the forum doesn't show up it shows up as a broken link pic with red x on it. So if I click on to see if I can merge it gives me the following errors.

Warning: main(./extension.inc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 25

Warning: main(): Failed opening './extension.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 25

Warning: main(./common.): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 26

Warning: main(): Failed opening './common.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 26

Warning: main(./includes/functions_admin.): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 27

Warning: main(): Failed opening './includes/functions_admin.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 27

Warning: main(./includes/functions_topics_list.): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 28

Warning: main(): Failed opening './includes/functions_topics_list.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 28

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: session_pagestart() in /home/pakistan/public_html/pm/modules/Forums/merge.php on line 84
Can someone help or guide towards the right direction.

Thank u, much appriciated.
kaos1984

Post by kaos1984 »

i had the same problem so what i did was installed a older version which is easier to set up
i got it from phpbbhacks.com

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”