ya'll validate mods to make sure that they're sorta well-representative of phpBB? ie. any mod released here is something that could be added, at any moment, to the actual phpBB code, and that ya'll don't want badly written or incompatable code potentially added?
as for the first part... no - all i know about MOD validation is what i've extrapolated on my own, heh.
seeing as at no point in time any MOD will ever be incorporated into phpBB
we validate to ensure that the MOD
1. will run on the minimum system requirements of phpBB (php3.0.9)
2. ensures it uses the DB
3. ensures compliancy of the implementation of the MOD Template for automatic installs
4. checks the codes to ensure given functionality
5. helps to ensure the security aspects of MODs
6. helps to ensure two MODs won't clash
7. all round makes sure the MOD is correct in everyway
you should really read this http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=218440